[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General modern Soul/Neo-Soul thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: BaduizmErykah.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
BaduizmErykah.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
I've got a few hours. Give me artists you like and I'll rec you some.

pic related, one of the first albums doing that neo-soul swing
>>
Fuck it, i'll bite. Recently fell in love with Hot-Buttered Soul. Any soul albums like that I may like?
>>
>>61409546
Not so modern but yeah sure.
Isaac Hayes is unique, I don't know if I can find really similar but here's some similar enough

Gets next to you - Al Green
The Poet - Bobby Womack
Bridges - Gil Scott Heron
Roots - Curtis Mayfield
>>
Is there anything else that captures the vibe in there's a riot goin on? for me that album is 100% unique
>>
>>61409626
Damn, didn't see "modern". Appreciate it anyway though, i'll check them out
>>
>>61409739
This is totally funk, sly and the family stone did some soul but you're totally asking for funk in my soul thread
y u do dat senpai

Try :
Non Stop - B.T. Express
Mutha's Nature - James Brown

Have you also listened to Fresh ? My fav from sly
>>
http://www.discogs.com/Raphael-Saadiq-Instant-Vintage/master/157240
>>
>>61409863
yea i've listened to fresh.

what's the difference between funk and soul?
>>
>>61409878

It's more of classification really, depends on the mood, the tempo, the influence of the music. But easier than that, you can just notice the difference (and the similarities) between them in the subjects. Funk is light, talking about rejoicing, enjoying the evening and dancing to the beat. While soul is more romantic, intimate, slow. Then there's crossover between the two. Sly does both for instance, almost any soul singer in the 70's used funk instrumentals, guitars rythms and later, disco to influence his soul.
There's really close but you notice the difference after some time. Listen to 60's/70's soul and you seem to know funk and you'll get it.

>>61409872
My nigga.

Comin' from where i'm from - Anthony Hamilton
Maxwell's urban hang suite - Maxwell
1st Born Second - Bilal
Aijuswanaseing - Musiq Soulchild
Mahogany Soul - Angie Stone
Another Day - Jaheim

Still got more if this is not enough
>>
>>61409974
>While soul is more romantic, intimate, slow
Well There's a Riot Goin On definitely applies to all of those so I don't know why you would think it's not soul.
>>
>>61410007

As I said, crossover, mixes between the two genre. I don't think I can find a certain sentence to describe a genre and everything it takes. I could say something, and you would find me the exception that rule. Because hopefully artist are influenced and open-minded. They don't claim to one and only genre
Genres are cool but they are inaccurate way to order all this music that's made each day.
Sly and the family stone is many things, but that album , in particular, is definitively funk.
The importance of the bass, the redondant use of downbeat, the drums,... All that you won't find so emphasized in a soul album.
In Fresh, they do sing some soul songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Son_p6sPeI

Lurk wiki from more infos I'm not that cultivated
>>
>>61410158
I'm not the one who tried to corner albums into specific genres, you are.

And I don't understand why that song would be soul and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzitR0IKW4
Is not.
>>
File: ewh.jpg (91 KB, 575x560) Image search: [Google]
ewh.jpg
91 KB, 575x560
>>61410217
I did it because genre are an easy way to classify music, it's not perfect but it works, go with it. How else would I have called for a soul thread without using the soul word ?

Now what I don't understand is why you're making your best to make me claim There's a Riot Goin on is a soul album, was it because of my remark about not bringing funky albums ? It's cool man, really The gap between these genres is so thin. Yet it's not modern but still cool.
Yes, this is a soul song, that doesn't make the album a soul album.
>>
>>61410382
I just don't understand why you would get so picky over something so small. Anyway thanks for the recs i'll check them out.
>>
>>61410543
I like to be picky, I may sound like an asshole and I try not to offended. I still think my point's right though.
Some people get mad when you say "how you're listening to metal stuff" "THIS IS ALTERNATIVE YOU AUTIST" I'm avoiding being like that, but I don't refrain myself from being picky when I can

Anyway, nice peaceful argument, always a pleasure, thanks anon I hope my rec will please you and make you come
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.