[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would /mu/ be improved if certain albums were mandatory listening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
Would /mu/ be improved if certain albums were mandatory listening before you're allowed to post?
>>
>>61406405
Maybe, but definitely not those albums
>>
>>61406444
Why not? They're the most discussed albums on the board to the point where it's basically assumed you've listened to them. You'll come off looking foolish if you haven't.
>>
>>61406444
I think I like all those albums to varying degrees, certainly no bad ones.
>>
>>61406405
No, complete opposite in fact.

Ironic you all bitch about redddit being a hivemind upvoting the same albums and you want to do the same??!
>>
>>61406456
>>61406462
>Sufjan
>Kanye
>Burial
>good
If we are going to shove shit down people's throats let's at least make them decent.
>>
>>61406569
THIS

It should be 90% classical. 8% jazz and a couple of modern albums.
>>
>>61406569
well I mean MBDTF is by far the most acclaimed album of the 2010s, you might not like it but it's important
>>
File: confused travolta.gif (4 MB, 426x213) Image search: [Google]
confused travolta.gif
4 MB, 426x213
>>61406569
>having an opinion
>ever

nah but seriously, you are allowed to dislike these albums
>>
There was a newish chart floating about with a major genre for each row which was much better than this limited pop/rock chart with token UKGarage and memerap album on it.
>>
>>61406569
All those are good artists.

Though a major problem is people posting without having lurked or listened to music before talking shit.

If people all actually listened to mu core albums then yes it would improve the board.

Even if it would be more beneficial to put some Debussy with Zappa up there.
>>
>>61406405

can someone make a list of all of the albums in this picture? I've listened to a few of them but haven't listened to a majority on here...
>>
>>61406405
Having listened to those albums just means I know to avoid threads where they are posted because I know they aren't as good as the people claim.
>>
>>61406615
And The Beatles were the most acclaimed of the 60s but none of their music is on there. Your point?

>>61406602
>>61406673
I agree mostly
>>
>>61406656
The one that was

Classical
Jazz
Trad folk
Rock
Pop
Dance
Etc...?

RBT is down atm so can't get it but agree, /mu/ is far too narrow minded and promoting it even more so with a chart if just rock and electronica is retarded.
>>
>>61406405
On that pic, Safe as Milk should replace TMR. TMR really doesn't fit in well with all those other albums.
>>
File: General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
>>61406688
find em on here familia
>>
2016 should be the year /mu/ expands, not contracts and stays within its pop/rock/electronic comfort zone.

>>61406484
>>
>>61406688
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Radiohead - Kid A
Slint - Spiderland

Burial - Untrue
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
American Football - s/t
The Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Madvillain - Madvillainy
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Joanna Newsom - Ys

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Deathconsciousness - s/t
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Death Grips - The Money Store
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
>>
>>61406779
>Deathconsciousness - s/t
lol

it's by Have A Nice Life
>>
File: I understand nothing.png (196 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
I understand nothing.png
196 KB, 500x284
>>61406771
it would take about 3 years to become literate in all those niche genres and an enormous amount of effort
>>
>>61406812
oh noes, effort

There I was thinking I was on a board for music enthusiasts, not just critically acclaimed pop music drones
>>
>>61406569
>being this contrarian
>>
>>61406779
thank you!
>>
>>61406828
yes well, time as well, I have a job and studies to think about

[/spoiler] and I would rather find music from genres I already enjoy, as well as music that incorporates niche elements in order to get into them that way, vicariously, OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME... case in point Fishmans is a dub band [spoiler]
>>
>>61406837
>Being this much of a drone
Sorry not everyone likes your shitty overhyped pop for people who act like they don't like pop
>>
>>61406866
>casuals

You may as well just delete your library and tun the radio on then, you obviously don't care about music.
>>
File: happy smiling people.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1077) Image search: [Google]
happy smiling people.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1077
>>61406883
ok bb
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (90 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
90 KB, 900x900
>>61406871
>a few avant teens don't like some of the most critically acclaimed music of this era so no one should listen to it ever
>>
>>61406919
>everyone should like to the same pop albums because teens on /mu/ put them on a topsters chart
>>
>>61406919
That wasn't the discussion; it was about FORCING people to listen to those. You are free to listen to those albums, or eat your own feces for that matter. Just don't make me join in.
>>
>>61406927
that's not at all what I said. Also you seem to be implying that more experimental = better and anyone who has graduated high school knows that isn't true
>>
>>61406942
You are really retarded. God damn.
>>
>>61406959
prove him wrong dip
>>
>>61406959
at least I don't have to resort to ad hominem instead of actually trying to make a decent rebuttal
>>
>ITCOTCK
>Spiderland
>Loveless
>TVU&N
>SFTB
>Remain in Light
>Pink Moon
>TMR
>Ys

these albums can stay, the rest are objectively garbage and anyone who likes them needs to be bullied back to reddit by the authentic /mu/ posters with an actual taste in music
>>
>>61406966
>>61406942
He's saying if someone doesn't like overhyped pop albums that means that they think 'more experimental = good'.
>>
>>61406994
You really are fucking stupid.
>>
>>61407005
Point well made, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
>>
>>61406994
See the word "also"? That means that I was making a separate point. So far your only criticism for Kanye, Sufjan, and Burial is that they are overhyped pop artists. This implies that making pop music automatically means you're a worse artist than those who don't make pop music. This is not true. On top of that, you seem to not understand the definition of pop music. It's true that you can make a case for MBDTF being a pop album since it's basically pop rap, but Illinois is not strictly one genre, and Burial isn't a pop artist at all. Pop music is typically described as following the verse-chorus structure, and Burial especially doesn't follow that structure. Also, using "overhyped" as a criticism doesn't make sense at all because it doesn't actually criticize the music but rather the fanbase and attention it gets from people. I think that there are many artists out there who I would describe as overhyped, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad. So all I really want is an explanation as to why you think that these artists are so terrible and why new /mu/ posters shouldn't listen to them before posting on this board, where they will be frequently discussed
>>
>>61406981
Remove Pink Moon and YS because they're shit
>>
no. /mu/ was better before the first "essentials" charts was created.
>>
>>61407095
Pink Moon is good fuck off
>>
>>61407072
Oh this is the guy who made the post you are mainly criticizing. I got bored and went away a while ago; you are arguing with a different person
>>
>>61407095
few opinions in this world are as terrible as that one
>>
>>61407072
I'm not the guy who originally argued against all that music. I'm saying I don't think he was implying anything about experimentation, and that you are wrong in that anyone who doesn't like that stuff is an 'avant-teen'.
>>
>>61406688
you don't need to listen to all of them

find the few that you really like and explore those genres further
>>
>>61406405
Not really, /mu/ has ok taste at best, but some of it's either trash(American Football), or just boring as fuck (NMH.)
>>
>>61406405
It'd be alright but there'd be a lot of people on /mu/ posting about different albums and genres and probs won't care about those
>>
>>61407127
Agreed
>>
>>61406405
I hate the hivemind mentality on /mu/ where people just circlejerk over the same 5 artists. It's cancerous.
>>
>>61408525
>start a thread for something outside these
>no replies or ''rec me some albums''
>thread dies
>another /mu/core artist/album/waifu thread bumps to front page
>>
>>61406405
Your erudition costs nothing. Any such instructions only will obstruct people to express their opinions. Regiments of identical posters is the worst thing that could ever happen to an online community.
>>
>>61406981
>objectively garbage
>objectively
>>
>>61406812
takes like 3 months tops to listen to several albums from each of those genres. No one cares whether or not you're literate in those genres, what a fucking retarded goal. The point is to discover new fun genres and great albums.
>I would rather find music from genres I already enjoy
nevermind stay pleb
>>
>>61406405
Only three albums in that list are somewhat decent.
>>
>>61408982
>le epic patrician faec.jpg
>>
>>61409001
The funny thing is, most people on here consider liking all of those albums "le patrician".
>>
>>61409016
nice psychosis there m8
>>
>>61409073
Why would that chart have been made in the first place?
>inb4 irony
>>
>>61409092
because these are the albums people like to listen to, not because people think these are "patrician" albums
>>
File: blellow.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
blellow.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
no
>>
2/3rds of those albums aren't even worth listening to

get off my board, pleb
>>
>>61406405
>mandatory listenin
I'm sorry but your graphic contains memerap which is intolerable without the use of hard, mind-numbing drugs. If anyone becomes a drug addict due to your graphic, the blood is on your hands.
>>
>>61409016

(not true, by the way)
>>
>>61406981

Ys is one of the worse albums on there.
>>
>>61407127
HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA FIND THE ONES YOU LIKE WITHOUT ACTUALLY
LISTENING TO THEM

AÜOSFJPSLAJFÜLASJFLÖASÖASLFJÖASLFÖSAJFAÖSF
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.