[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the viper of folk music? he have like 70 albums dude wtf!!!!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 0756.jpg (67 KB, 804x804) Image search: [Google]
0756.jpg
67 KB, 804x804
Is he the viper of folk music? he have like 70 albums dude wtf!!!!
>>
File: Jandek.png (3 MB, 6816x4068) Image search: [Google]
Jandek.png
3 MB, 6816x4068
Nah. If anything Viper is trying to be like Jandek.

Exploring his discog is very fun.Here's a flowchart I made to help you tackle his huge discography.
>>
also I just remembered both are from Houston. huh...
>>
>>61395821
Fuck it let's make this a Jandek general
Nice flowchart btw. I would say later On is essential to Stage 1, but otherwise it looks good
>>
>>61395842
I think his first 4 are essentials. I tried to dedicate the chart to the biggest changes in his career, so I had to avoid a lot of albums.
>>
Well they both suck so that's something I guess
>>
>>61395905
Why do you think Jandek sucks?
>>
>>61395884
Oh yeah I definitely see that, was just commenting (probably biased because Later On is my favorite)
>>
>>61395924
btw I got the package from Corwood today (shipping signed by Smith himself) and I'm thinking of ripping the live DVDs I got tomorrow.
>>
>>61395924
big Jandek fan here; Later On's also my favorite

are you guys in the facebook Jandek group? shit's poppin sort of
>>
>>61395945
Nice! Yeah, please do that, I need my Jandek fix
>>
>>61395951
I don't really have facebook so not really. I mostly discuss it here with Abelian.
>>61395955
I have the first 3 Live DVD shows but I plan on ordering more once I get through them.
>>
>>61395971
Cool

>>61395951
No, I deleted my facebook a while back
How is it. though?
>>
>>61395775
i've never listened to jandek, but just from reading his wikipedia article i'll go with yes
>outsider musician from houston, TX with a shitload of albums
which one am i talking about???
>>
>>61396015
Make it "outsider musician from TX with a shitload of albums" and you can add Daniel Johnston too
>>
File: 1225402.jpg (23 KB, 297x300) Image search: [Google]
1225402.jpg
23 KB, 297x300
I want to post some links but the archive is down and I do not feel like reuploading the interviews, so maybe the discussion start should be kept to the older thread standards.

>Favourite album
>Favourite track
>When did you get into Jandek?
>How has Jandek changed your life?
>comfy Jandek stories
>>
>>61396185
>Favorite album
You already know that

>Favorite track
The Janitor or I Shot Myself

>When did you get into him?
At Age 15 or 16

>How has he changed your life?
One of the first avant-garde or outsider musicians I listened to, blew the door open for me

>comfy Jandek stories
Probably wallowing in sorrow to Six And Six
>>
>>61396185
>Favourite album
>>61395574
>Favourite track
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXGLDZX9B_VldbA3-tGFePg/videos
but more importantly, Ghost Town By The Sea
2012, first album I listened to was Your Turn To Fall, although I didn't get obsessed with him until the summer of 2013
there are times only his music makes sense to me, so I suppose he's helped me get through those times. I don't know that he's changed my life, though. just provides an important point of reference mostly
>comfy Jandek stories
Jandek was amazing to get high to when I was first smoking pot

What's everyone's favorite album ambiance, aside from the content, if it makes sense to make a distinction? On The Way, Lost Cause, and The Rocks Crumble come to mind for me
>>
>>61396286
I adore the atmosphere of Skirting The Edge, The End Of It All, and Interstellar Discussion
>>
>>61396185
Here are my answers:
>Favourite album
Currently a tie between Ready For The House and I Threw You Away
>Favourite track
I Passed By The Building
I listened to Ready For The House sometime in 2012 I think. I kept myself away from exploring his discography because I had some other artist obsessions. Spent this whole year listening to him chronologically and it has been the most interesting artist journey so far.
My songwriting and rhythm guitar perception has changed. His lyricism inspired me to read more too.
>comfy Jandek stories
Not comfy but memorable I guess. I listened the 3 spoken word albums while walking around Houston, not so far from my ex's house. It was one of the most surreal experiences, especially with all the heat in the summer.

>>61396286
>What's everyone's favorite album ambiance, aside from the content, if it makes sense to make a distinction?
Probably Put My Dream On This Planet. After numerous listens, it turns into a second voice inside of my head. I also really like the title track on The Beginning. I wish his Song Of Morgan was similar to it.
>>
Living in a Moon so Blue or Starting at the Cellophane?
Follow Your Footsteps or One Foot In The North?
Foreign Keys or Modern Dances
You Walk Alone or Lost Cause?
Glad To Get Away or Graven Image?
The Place or The Gone Wait?
Raining Down Diamonds or Khartoum?

(and why if you want)
>>
Discussion question:

do you think there is a connection between his Spanish In Me/River To Madrid/Only Lover tracks or it's just him recycling lyrics? The era where Nancy was prevalent seems to discuss this particular plot a lot.

>>61396501
>Living in a Moon so Blue or Starting at the Cellophane?
Staring At The Cellophane because of Michael, Riddles Riddling Me and Rather Be Blind. I catch myself humming Michael all the time.
>Follow Your Footsteps or One Foot In The North?
probably Follow Your Footsteps
>Foreign Keys or Modern Dances
Foreign Keys. Not a big fan of either.
>You Walk Alone or Lost Cause?
You Walk Alone. Lost Cause concentrates on something different though, so it's hard to compare
>Glad To Get Away or Graven Image?
Graven Image.
>The Place or The Gone Wait?
This one is very hard. I cannot chose a favorite.
>Raining Down Diamonds or Khartoum?
Haven't heard yet. I just started with Glasgow Sunday today.
>>
>>61396501
Staring At The Cellophane
Follow Your Footsteps
Modern Dances
You Walk Alone
Graven Image
The Place
Khartoum
>>
>>61396501
>Living in a Moon so Blue or Starting at the Cellophane?
both these albums have awesome songs and are structured similarly, so I feel I can best compare their atmospheres. LIAMSB wins slightly, although they both have great and stark feelings to them. I feel that each album reflects its cover perfectly, but to different ends; LIAMSB is dark and sultry, SATS is strung out and blissed out, both are intoxicating
>Follow Your Footsteps or One Foot In The North?
Follow Your Footsteps because it has classic songs
>Foreign Keys or Modern Dances
Foreign Keys, Modern Dances is a bit too hectic for me
>You Walk Alone or Lost Cause?
I compared these ones because they both seem pretty accessible and have a lot of classic songs. I prefer Lost Cause because it's more varied and the recording quality is pretty entrancing
>Glad To Get Away or Graven Image?
Graven Image because it has tons of classic songs, even if GTGA's atmosphere's perfect
>>
Viper or Jandek and why?

(also collab when)
>>
>>61397058
Jandek because I love blues.
>>
Jandek theories? what do you think he's like as a person?
>>
>>61397177
I am incredibly interested in his occupation. He travelled a lot. I know he was a machinist at some point but that doesn't really explain much.

As a person, I think he someone who likes to talk about very specific details of everyday things like what toothbrush you use in the morning or what couch you have. I don't think he talks a lot about the past because he has done enough of that already.
>>
>>61397262
>As a person, I think he someone who likes to talk about very specific details of everyday things like what toothbrush you use in the morning or what couch you have. I don't think he talks a lot about the past because he has done enough of that already.
There's a grounding quality to focusing on that sort of stuff I suppose, and I can see him as someone who would seek grounding.
>>
B U M P 1/3
>>
>>61396501
both are same albums
follow your footsteps (both are kind of shitty tho)
Modern dances cuz i like hectic shit
Lost cause because of the last few songs
Both are pretty bad
havent listened to them yet
these to
>>
"It's got my mississippi boyfriend's attention"

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61397982
>both are same albums
>Both are pretty bad
add these 4 albums to your relistening queue for me
>>
>>61397982
>both are same albums
m8...
>>
>>61398089
woops my bad, i listened to both at the same time haha
>>
>>61395821
>>61395821
http://dieordiy2.blogspot.com/search/label/Jandek

various dl links for anyone who is interested
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.