[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to get into jazz. Any album recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 220px-Louis_Armstrong_restored.jpg (9 KB, 220x171) Image search: [Google]
220px-Louis_Armstrong_restored.jpg
9 KB, 220x171
Want to get into jazz. Any album recommendations?
>>
>>61386247
miles davis, coltrane, the list could go on
>>
>>61386247
just don't man
>>
Baby's first jazz:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
>>
>>61386255
>>61386295
Thanks!
Will look into these
>>
Depends on what you're looking for really. Do you want more melodic jazz, musicians who are still alive, the standards, etc?

Big band music is a good place to start - it's melodic and easy to listen to / digest but still has jazz principles to dig into. Check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - XXL

For standards, can't go wrong with John Coltrane - Blue Train
>>
>>61386247
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Don Cherry - New and Old Dreams
Sun Ra - Jazz In Sillhoutte

I don't listen to much jazz, but I like these, so I assume they're fairly accessible
>>
Adding to Coltrane, a Love Supreme is a wonderful record that you should not definitely check out; got me into jazz.
>>
For some classics:
Louis Armstrong - Hot 5's and 7's
Count Basie - Complete Decca recordings
Duke Ellington - Never No Lament

These are all box sets rather than albums, but in that era singles were the thing so that's what you get.

Also on that subject:
Charlie Parker - Savoy & Dial masters
Lester Young - Complete Aladdin recordings
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music
>>
Horace Silver. This isn't a good example, but I think this is a groovy little piece outside of bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbXwuJQFpok
>>
Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives & Sevens
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Birth of the Cool
Chet Baker - Complete Chet Baker Sings Sessions
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Giant Steps
Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz
Bix Beiderbecke - Singin' the Blues
Ella Fitzgerald's songbook albums.
>>
Woah is /mu/ always this nice?
>>
>>61386580
no.
>>
>>61386488
These

Start really early, with Sidney Bechet and King Oliver, as well as Tatum and Waller

>>61386386
These are good but in no way good starting points for jazz
>>
>>61386664
They might be for some people.

I know I got into jazz through fusion, free and avant-garde and worked backwards from there.

Anyone listening to noise, experimental or even krautrock would probably find those easier to identify with than Satchmo or Ellington.
>>
File: cover.jpg (58 KB, 600x540) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
58 KB, 600x540
>>
>>61386904
Ya that was the case for me. I couldn't get through Kind of Blue or a Love Supreme, but I loved Out to Lunch. Entry level isn't actually always the best place to enter a genre
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU
You're welcome :)
>>
File: jazz.jpg (2 MB, 2160x4185) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
2 MB, 2160x4185
>>61386247
>>
>>61387128
>>61386904
I see that, but my concern is that people listen to that stuff without really appreciating the context and concept of it, and thus miss out on half of the fun of the whole affair!

Still, I see where you're coming from and you're certainly not wrong
>>
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is the Illmatic of Jazz. It's very easy to listen to, very chill but also very good.
>>
Check out Sonny Rollins's Saxophone Colossus. Strode Rode is one of the best jazz tracks i ever heard.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.