[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Might as well burn all copies of Shut Up and Play The Hits. Bands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7
File: Capture.jpg (49 KB, 471x452) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
49 KB, 471x452
Might as well burn all copies of Shut Up and Play The Hits. Bands don't know when to retire anymore.
>>
http://www.spin.com/2015/12/lcd-soundsystem-coachella-2016-indio/?
>>
>>61378428
>Bands don't know when to retire anymore.
People refuse to pay for music.
Artists make no fucking money.
Artists quit.
Artists offered a shitload of money to come back and play.
People criticize this too.
>>
>>61378489
They made a fucking documentary to commemorate their retirement.
>>
>>61378428
The dubs in the Lemmy thread were wrong.
>>
If you're gonna "retire" as a band and then eventually return due to high demand, don't "retire" with a CD, a 3 vinyl collection, and a documentary of your final show in Madison Square Garden.
>>
See, I'm worried, because, while I absolutely love these guys, I'm pretty sure I remember some cracks in the formula rearing their ugly head on This Is Happening.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be all down hill from here...
>>
The coachella crowd doesn't deserve such a great band. Buncha fucking trustfund normies
>>
>>61378428
fuck this guy I actually liked that documentary on it being over
and now it's not over
fuck u lcd
>>
File: 1376456076736.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1376456076736.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
>Coachella in the year 2016
>>
File: 1377775579704.jpg (20 KB, 317x330) Image search: [Google]
1377775579704.jpg
20 KB, 317x330
>Coachella
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>took only 4 years to announce comeback after being RETIRED FOREVER EVER EVER I'M EVEN MAKING A DOCUMENTARY AND HAVING A SUPER HIGH PRICED FINAL SHOW!!!

fucking pathetic

for some bands 4 years is just a typical album cycle
>>
>>61378591
i dont think theyre gonna make a record.

still, how embarrassing. with how almost DFW-level self aware james is, i cant imagine how he will reconcile the existence of SUaPTH when hes willing to just come right back like it meant nothing all along.
>>
Don't worry I'm sure death grips will break up again and release another album about a year later :^)
>>
>Literally cry at your own last show
>4 years ago later
>lol fuck it well just headline Coachella i need money
>>
>>61378428
The interviews with fans at the final show with Jayson Green is now ruined
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_R8SgdoK_Q
>>
I legitimately hate James Murphy and his fake persona hope one of the tranny prostitutes he hires feeds his dog chocolate.
>>
Yeah let's make a documentary, a cd and 3 vinyls about us retiring.
-4 years later
lol jk
>>
>>61379044
It is how it works sadly when offered a lot of money to play for normie trash.
>>
>>61378930
>DFW
?
>>
>>61379103
david foster wallace. hes a writer. james was/is really inspired by him and they both tread similar grounds creatively.
>>
>>61378930
In fairness, in one of the interview segments of SUaPTH, he's asked what his biggest mistake or regret is, and he says it could potentially be quitting so soon.

Still, the whole thing feels cheap now, I thought he had more integrity than that.
>>
>>61379103
infinite meme my man, read it. it never fucking ends
>>
>>61379196
i feel like the break up was them blowing their loads a little. i think they have much more in them creatively, and the whole thing was a load of self-mythologizing bullshit that shouldnt really have happened. my hope is that, assuming theyre here to stay this time, that this show isnt necessarily a cash grab more than it is a sing of things to come.
>>
>>61378506
I am sure worse things have happened.
>>
>>61379292
nah this is like if Jesus died and came back 3 days later or some shit.
>>
Despite Shut up and Play the Hits existance being null and void now, the vinyl is still an amazing listen.
>>
>>61379267
>i think they have much more in them creatively

I never really doubted that James would keep making music, even then I just figured he was laying the LCD Soundsystem name to rest to concentrate on side projects or going solo. It seems weird that he's bringing it back without having done anything in the meantime. There was that subway thing, but I don't think that ever really got off the ground, did it?
>>
this is because he wants to fuck that asian chick. he misses that pussy
>>
>>61379267
whatever really. if they wanna scam some richfags at coachella go right ahead. im not wasting my money.
>>
I'm glad it's streamed every year, being at that festival sounds worse and worse every year.
>>
>>61378428
>>61378892
see also: Lil Ugly Mane

>lil ugly mane is a defunct project forever i'm calling it quits bros

>continues to release cashgrabby EP after box set after album under the pretense that it's all "unreleased old stuff"
>>
>>61379371
Isn't she married
>>
Man I thought you guys liked music?
Seems like you just enjoy the idea of artists being servants to you
>>
>>61378489
This. It's legitimately one of the worst things about how our culture interacts with art. Everything should be free! Oh no, James, don't come back, you're offending my sensibilities! Why can't you just go get a job at Denny's or something to pay for your health insurance? What happened to all that Sound of Silver money?!

What fucking Sound of Silver money?
>>
>>61379826
integrity > i would rather someone release a 10/10 album and move to tibet to become a monk thenk release 30 7/10 albums.
>>
>>61379901
you mean:

living up to arbitrary ideals and being poor and miserable > living comfortably

ok reddit
>>
Every artist should do this.

Death Grips became 10x more "legendary" after doing so

Death from Above 1979 went from an opening band to headlining their own tour for $40 a ticket.

Pavement, the Pixies, Swans, etc etc all more popular when they came back
>>
Christ what is with all these recent coachella headliners just being reunion acts?
>>
>>61379826
This.

Also, he never said the band was done, he was clear about the fact they would never TOUR again. He said they may release new music, and headlining Coachella =/= touring. Listen to the Sound Opinions interview.

None of this changes the fact that the Long Goodbye was one of the greatest concerts ever.
>>
>>61379997
LCD SoundSystem are literally legends in their own right, they didn't need to come back.
>>
>>61380005
old people have more money and want to see old bands
>>
>>61380005
Ticket sales for people who can afford 400 dollar tickets. It's been that way for a while now.
>>
File: james murphy.jpg (920 KB, 2088x2528) Image search: [Google]
james murphy.jpg
920 KB, 2088x2528
>45 years old
>Still playing shows
hell be fine
>>
>>61379317
underrated post
>>
>>61379997
except LCD got more popular when they announced they were quitting. you think they would have sold out MSG if it wasn't the final show?
>>
>>61378428
It's a hell of a lot better than that Blur/Stone Roses headliner bullshit a few years ago.
>>
Anecdotal but I know someone in a band you know. This person claims the amount of money that came in from festival appearances the last few years was like double that of album sales, Spotify, etc.
>>
>>61380101
I swear to god if you kill James Murphy I will hunt you down and skullfuck you to death.
>>
>>61379865

Nothing is stopping James Murphy from making money from music. He's worked on soundtacks, he could easily release an album as James Murphy and sell copies. He could tour it. He could make a comfortable living.

The issue is when you make a big deal out of retiring as a cash grab (which is exactly what it was) and then go back on your word. He didn't have to reform LCD Soundsystem. He could have made a new band.
>>
>>61380155
No shit. Musicians make their most money from tours, why do you think these ancient fuckers in their 60s and 70s still tour.
>>
>>61380183
bring it fgt
>>
>>61380155
you really needed to know someone in a band to put that together?
>>
>>61380024
That's reaching and you fucking know it.
>>
>>61379901
Are you aware that the people who make the music you listen to generally do it for a living?
>>
>>61379865
What part don't you retards get? I'm glad James is making more money, the issue is him making all the melodrama about the retirement. Why couldn't he just have said the band was going on hiatus?
>>
>>61380272
>
>
>
I only listen to artists that are broke.
>>
>>61380120
Probably. If you're big enough to play MSG, you're probably going to sell out the venue.
>>
>>61380101
>he's ONLY 45

he looks like absolute shit desu
>>
>>61380207
Don't buy your premise. James Murphy is 45 years old. He was over the hill when he started. Anyone who is still buying records wouldn't be buying his. He's not going to be able to sell out even small theaters and clubs in a few years. This is a cash grab too.

People talk as if the legacy acts of the Internet age have Bowie money. They simply don't.
>>
>>61380319
He's just extremely hairy
>>
>>61380340

It's not a case of pretending he's a millionaire. If you want to pretend James Murphy is "poor", go ahead. If he was poor he wouldn't have retired his brand in the first place.
>>
>>61380236
Nah I was just spelling it out for the kids. Young folk tend to believe these people are loaded and rarely understand things like mortgage and loan repayments.
>>
File: lcd-soundsystem-jimmy-fallon.jpg (52 KB, 608x337) Image search: [Google]
lcd-soundsystem-jimmy-fallon.jpg
52 KB, 608x337
>>61380363
he looks like garfield if he were human
>>
>>61380393
james murphy was never a millionare though. he said himself he needed to tour to make money and he hated it. he hasn't toured in 5 years and being an in house producer doesn't pay that much .
>>
>>61380428

OK? I'm not saying the guy is rich enough to not have to work. I'm saying if you're going to tell your fans "this is our final concert, please pay a shitload of money for tickets" coming back after 5 years is a dick move. Nobody made him retire the brand. And nobody is stopping him from making a living making and touring music. You think if James Murphy released a new album he'd struggle to get enough gigs to pay the bills?
>>
>>61379222
and sweet jesus, is it good.
>>
File: fullsizerender.jpg (110 KB, 719x928) Image search: [Google]
fullsizerender.jpg
110 KB, 719x928
>Five years older then Murphy
>Spent 1989-2003 in a various state of addiction to from booze to crack and cocaine
>Most likely to die in the nineties

What sort of pact with Satan did Reznor make. What a DILF
>>
>>61380529
Well, Reznor's band has also an extreme legacy and was 3x as popular
>>
>>61378506
This doesn't phase me at all. In Australia, we have a recording artist who has retired and come back in the double digits.
>>
>>61378930
very good point. I love LCD so much, and would really love to see them, but I still wish James had kept his word when he declared it over. For integrity's sake. For the sake of the band and for that of everyone at that last show, which is now null and void. This development is bittersweet, and I would rather forego ever being able to see them for the sake of one of my idols not being a fucking Indian giver. I'm excited, but even more disappointed.
>>
>>61379921
well, yeah. everyone knows that music is more about water cooler conversations, and pitchfork articles/MTV specials mythologizing/fictionalizing the artist, than actual music. actual music is just pleb shit for the lowest common denominator. listening to music is fleeting, but reddit discussion lasts forever, and i'll be damned if an artist doesn't want to provide me with that.
>>
>>61380393
Bullshit. They stopped because of what people in this thread are calling integrity. Their age was over and Murphy knew it. I'm a fan but facts are facts.

>mfw when people don't get LCD was art rock for cocaine-filled dance nights in dive bars and shouldn't have lasted more than a record or two in the first place, let alone ending at Madison Square Garden.
>>
>>61379135
two of my favourite creative minds. And now I'm mad at one of them.
>>
>>61378660
this
>>
>>61379345
also the tennis audio thing (also DFW AF), which was very cool, actually.
I'm with you, though.
>>
File: tom.jpg (74 KB, 670x502) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
74 KB, 670x502
>ctrl+F "music"
>zero results

>ctrl+F "integrity"
>483 results
>>
>>61378952
tehehe what if they pulled a DG and didnt show kekkk
>>
LCD Soundsystem was basically a James Murphy solo project anyways.

s/t and 45:33 were his best records.
>>
>>61380461
you think this was his super secret plan all along or something?

what if he had no intention of coming back, but coachella shows up with some godfather offer.

his choice is: fuck friends in lcd out of a huge payday, retain "integrity" that means nothing except to a few hundred internet kids who don't understand real life adult shit.
or: play show, make some money, make his friends some money, give west coasters a chance to see them.

tuff choice
>>
>>61379317
HAH
lmao this.
>>
>>61380571
embarrassing post. stop listening to music. go away.
>>
>>61380461
Tell me more about your knees, voice and back at age 45 vs the ability to put on a show people would want to pay good money to see. It was a sloppy live act to begin with.
>>
>>61380101
god damn it I'm mad at him, but he still makes me melt
>>
>>61380461
>please pay a shitload of money for tickets
he specifically said he hated this, he hated the scalpers who drove up the prices more than anybody
>>
well it's not all bad news. Aziz will be there and I will rape his indian bussy
>>
I thought James has said specifically that he'd probably come back if offered enough money
>>
LCD Grips
>>
>>61380728
Knowing how much Coachella grabs every year off of these trustfund baby's, I'm sure they gave him a hefty offer
>>
>>61378506
>>61378575
>>61378892
who gives a shit? To whom are they obligated to stay broken up forever? It's their own project, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Also, you're getting *more music*. Why are you bitching?
>>
>>61380783
>More music
We got a christmas song m8
>>
>>61380290
WHY CAN'T ARTISTS DO WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO? I'M THE CONSUMER!
>>
>>61380725
Do I know you?
>>
Did you people not hear "Christmas Will Break Your Heart"? They haven't lost what they had when they were originally together. I hope they get together and make more music.

Also the people bringing up Shut Up and Play the Hits as reason for them not to get together are retarded. I own the movie. Them getting together doesn't disqualify anything about it.

Sometimes mu's level of contrarianism and edginess is too much.
>>
Anyone who is genuinely upset by this is a manchild. Life isn't a fucking fairy tale. If the aging sad disco punk man wants to play a reunion show after initially calling it quits, then whatever. Let the dude play music how he wants.
>>
>>61380739
I'm in
>>
>>61380828
Murphy wrote that christmas song 8 years ago
>>
>>61380688
aww
okay.
>>
>>61380851
Okay, they performed it exactly as well as they've performed all of their other songs. Do you really think they're going to be worse after breaking up?
>>
I guess this means we owe Consequence of Sound an apology.
>>
>>61380862
good
>>
>>61380720

If you hate scalpers, maybe don't play in MSG and hype up the event as THE FINAL EVER SHOW.
>>
Twice yearly reminder that Alex Chilton and Jason Molina both died without health insurance. Murphy can do whatever he wants. You're not paying his bills.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.