[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a concept album. Each track is a different inuit word
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
This is a concept album. Each track is a different inuit word for snow, and the music makes a strong effort to match the atmosphere of what each kind of snow creates.

Penstla - Idea of snow
Tlaslo - Snow that falls slowly
Kayi - Drifting snow
Skriniya - Snow that never reaches the ground
Katiyana - Night snow
Naklin - Forgotten snow
Chahatlin - Snow that makes a sizzling sound as it hits the water
Ylaipi - Tomorrow's snow.

Now this is a pretty subjective thing to say, but I believe all these tracks describe these concepts perfectly. Tlaslo sounds like snow falling on a windless night, obscuring one's vision, while Kayi floats along in quiet peace with moments of near silence and well resolved progressions of chords. Skriniya's ascending seventh chords inspire images of staring up into the blinding blue sky and seeing the jellyfish shaped virga clouds, still feeling the bitter cold all around you.

This is all told through expertly crafted string synth swells, and while they do sound awfully similar, the tracks manage to gain some individuality through texture and differing chords.

Overall, "The empire of silence" has a simple sound to it. However, it pulls itself together through sheer force of atmosphere. Give this a listen if you have the patience.
>>
File: 1364972693075.jpg (12 KB, 208x156) Image search: [Google]
1364972693075.jpg
12 KB, 208x156
>>61353711
Goddamn dude, just fuck off already.
>>
>Snow that makes a sizzling sound as it hits the water
What the fuck does that even mean
>>
that's great man
>>
>>61353831
>>61354105
>>61354061
Guys come on, OP obviously enjoys this album very much, and enjoys talking about it, and that's all you come up with?
I bet you're the same ones who complain about the lack of music related posts on /mu/.
Anyway, thanks op, you made me want to listen to this album.
>>
But is it any good OP? I like snow if that helps
>>
>>61354225
If you like drone music, then yes.
>>
Lol you're a faggot
>>
anyone got a link?
>>
>>61355219
It's on his bandcamp.

http://marsenjules.bandcamp.com/album/the-empire-of-silence
>>
It's shit.
>>
File: PaysageDhiver-DieFestung.jpg (83 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
PaysageDhiver-DieFestung.jpg
83 KB, 700x700
>>61353711
Good write up OP. You've inspired me to give this album a listen. I really like albums that make me feel cold (like Die Festung by Paysage d'Hiver) so I'm excited to listen to this.
>>
Made me wanna listen too. downloading
>>
>>61356019
be sure to post a link for this guy >>61355219
>>
>>61356924
>tfw want a link too
>>
>>61358432
>tfw taste too obscure for torrents
>>
This is copied from a RYM review

>Arctic ambient
Great, so an hour of wind noises with one barely-audible chord being played beneath?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.