[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most disappointing Prog Rock album you have ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
What is the most disappointing Prog Rock album you have ever listened to?

I will never understand why Selling England by the Pound is so loved among prog fans, it's literally a two song wonder padded out with obnoxiously cheesy filler.
>>
>>61349995
if i can upvote anything, it will be this thread
>>
File: Red,_King_Crimson.jpg (54 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
Red,_King_Crimson.jpg
54 KB, 375x375
Starless is GOAT, but otherwise it just seems like a worse version of ITCOTCK.

>>61349995
Which two songs did you like? I assume Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and Firth of Fifth.
>>
File: 715ykeQAYcL._SL1076_.jpg (249 KB, 1076x1056) Image search: [Google]
715ykeQAYcL._SL1076_.jpg
249 KB, 1076x1056
album is so stale and bland compared to the rest of rush discography.
>>
File: MI0003237418.jpg (25 KB, 400x352) Image search: [Google]
MI0003237418.jpg
25 KB, 400x352
>>61349995
expecting much more from this album, but it's still not bad, but echoes pretty much saved it for me.
>>
>>61350057
>Which two songs did you like? I assume Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and Firth of Fifth.
You guessed correct.

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is such a decieving track, I hear the main riff slowly come together and it's magical... and then it's absolutely destroyed by the second track. I thought I was going to get an entire album of lighthearted fun prog with really dark undertones bubbling around underneath it but it just transitions into a very shitty ELP record.
>>
>>61350137
I don't dislike SEbtP as much as you do, though I agree it's overrated. Foxtrot is better.
>>
>>61350057
I used to love the tone as a kid, but ever since I fell in love with Larks' Tongues in Aspic I've rarely played this in full. I play Starless from time to time but other than a few cool riffs it's boring as hell. Providence is also flat out dogshit and I don't know what it's doing on there other than to act as filler before Starless.

>>61350077
I like Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu, but I'll admit Cinderella Man and Closer To The Heart are some of the worst tracks that Rush ever did.

>>61350129
I'm honestly surprised this album is as loved as it is on /mu/ it's literally a one track wonder. Atom Heart Mother is so much better for a mesh of different styles that work together, but Seamus? San Tropez? Fearless? All absolute dogshit.
>>
File: 713xzjmnOML._SL1500_.jpg (135 KB, 1500x1495) Image search: [Google]
713xzjmnOML._SL1500_.jpg
135 KB, 1500x1495
STUPID, like, white light/white heat, what is even that XD. and the message is bad, drugs? tranny murder? a girl murder a guy and stuff him in a box? WTF, don't these guys know this is the kind of stuff gangsters whould do,like in rap, this is pretty offensive, so if you're easily offended, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM.
>>
>>61349995
when you consider it alongside the prog masterpieces released that year such as Dark Side of the Moon, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Brain Salad Surgery, and Here Come the Warm Jets.... it looks pretty bad... BUT it marked a significant improvement in songwriting for Genesis and set the stage for their own masterpiece the following year, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
>>
It's a good album, if you don't enjoy it then you don't enjoy it. Do you need to like the same songs as other people so you can feel some sort of validation in your empty existence of something?

It's not a two song wonder by the way, although I do agree a couple of the filler songs suck
>>
>>61350243
>I'm honestly surprised this album is as loved as it is on /mu/ it's literally a one track wonder. Atom Heart Mother is so much better for a mesh of different styles that work together, but Seamus? San Tropez? Fearless? All absolute dogshit.
agree in a way, i never get why atom heart mother was always hated by the members and the general, it was more interesting, sure, the sutie is no where as good as echoes, but the sutie is much more interesting to listen to, while echoes pretty much feels like 3 songs stretch to a 30 minute length.
>>
>>61349995
OP do you like Genesis in general?
>>
>>61350057
There were different approaches taken for each album though. ItCotCK is more dramatic, and Red definitely relies on more dissonance. The biggest thing that sticks out to me in Red is Fripp made one of his best guitar albums without playing anything complex at all.
>>
I thought of another one.

I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>>61349995
Probably NEU! debut album. After all these amazing Krautrock albums (Faust I / IV, Amon Duul II Phallus Dei / Yeti, Can, Popol Vuh...) I come across something I don't particularly care for.
>>
Anyone else get really hyped for Devin Townsends Z2 album last year then think that it sucked?
>>
File: zVtwZbb.jpg (139 KB, 579x527) Image search: [Google]
zVtwZbb.jpg
139 KB, 579x527
>>61349995
>>61350057
>>61350129
>>61350271
>>61350880
>>
Everything by Mars Volta
>>
>>61351727
No micro images you newfag.
>>
>>61351727
What's the most disappointing prog rock album you have ever listened to?
>>
File: 71WSFsf+S7L._SX355_.jpg (26 KB, 355x351) Image search: [Google]
71WSFsf+S7L._SX355_.jpg
26 KB, 355x351
>>61351917
shut up tripfag, fucking nigger faggot.
>>
>>61349995
Get rid of More Fool Me
You have yourself a perfect album
>>
>>61351941
Words hurt, anon.

>>61352027
That's the best of the short tracks.

Speaking of "perfect album," Banks submitted Firth of Fifth to the band for Foxtrot, but they rejected it. If they had accepted it and cut out the filler, we could have had
>Watcher of the Skies
>Get 'Em Out By Friday
>Firth of Fifth
>Supper's Ready
That would be the greatest progressive rock album of all time, in my opinion.
>>
>>61352119
Selling England and Wind and Wuthering still get my win.
The Cinema, Firth of Fifth, Battle, and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight are too great of individual tracks.
Also, Wind and Wuthering doesn't have a single bad song. Many will argue the Your Own Special Way is garbage. And I understand that. I still love it though. Steve Hackett also agrees with me on the top two Genesis albums.
Speaking of which.
If anyone would like the discography minus From Genesis to Revelations, s/t, Three Sides Live, We Can't Dance, and Calling All Stations, then here.

https://mega.nz/#F!XhJVhARI!rz3BHnmA5CCmYvQD726hwg
>>
>>61352274
But a trick of the trail > wind and withering.
>>
>>61352805
I used to think the same thing.
I dunno, I guess I've gone through some crazy Genesis phases
I grew up with ATOTT through Duke more than anything.
Didn't get into the Gabriel stuff until middle school.
As long as people listen to Genesis enough to formulate these kinds of opinions, I'm happy.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.