[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motörhead never made anything musically interesting, and Lemmy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8
Motörhead never made anything musically interesting, and Lemmy spent most of his career singing the same note. But I guess he had """attitude""" so that makes up for it.

...The fact that you were going to comment about me being "edgy" shows how this band's fame is just a type of political correctness. Rock pretends to be contrarian, but it turned into its own mainstream with hard rock. With even businessmen and old white people finding it acceptable to listen to bands like these, there wasn't even shock value left.

But I'm glad we're all past rock now so we can look into these silly relics of their time more critically.
>>
Every Motörhead album sounds the same. Good thing they all sound amazing. :)
>>
>regurgitating horseshit from pitchfork.com
Listen to their debut album, Another Perfect Day, and 1916, then tell me they sound the same.
>>
So all I got from this is
A) You're an edgy kid who needs his music to be contrarian
B) You're and edgy kid who needs his music to have shock value
and C) You can't tell notes apart if they're all sung in the same style.

Good to know what kind of people browse /mu/
>>
>>61344409
Agree OP
Sucks I dare to say it only here
>>
>>61344517
>You're and [sic] edgy kid who needs his music to have shock value
Read again. That was the entire premise of rock. The emperor has no clothes and he never dressed up in the first place, I thought that was the whole gimmick.
>>
File: lemmy.png (730 KB, 880x516) Image search: [Google]
lemmy.png
730 KB, 880x516
Lemmy inspired the african metal scene though
>>
>>61344549
>That was the entire premise of rock.
"This album is so honest, you can tell they really mean what they sing"
"Nah man they sold out"
"I retrofit my made-up explanations of why I like or dislike things after I've already decided my opinion on them"
>>
god damn /mu/ is more cancerous than /tv/, now i remembered why i don't come here often
>>
>liking motorboat

I bet lemmy was transphobic and he would probably be mean to a transwoman like me because he's a ugly bigoted piece of shit I'm glad he's dead

inb4 edgy transphobes from /pole/ poop on their gay asses and become lesbians
>>
>>61344688
your false flag bait is too obvious pol
>>
>>61344616
Thats not what Scaruffi says you fucking idiot contrarian
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol4/motorhea.html
>>
>>61344616
Yeah, exactly. Rock only has that type of context to work with. It's not supposed to be interesting as music, but as some kind of meta-commentary on culture itself.

Basically, "liking rock" is about what trends you subscribe to, like a fashion accessory. But in the age of the internet and fragmented tastes, any meaningful trends are gone. Rock is dead, and its biggest fashion gurus are quite literally dying too.

That's what this is about, and in a few decades, people will ultimately realize this.
>>
>>61344746
imean ">>61344409" not .>>61344616
>>
Gayest post on /moo/ award just got new frontrunner for 2015
>>
>>61344792
you seem like a really cynical person who doesn't like anything at all if it isnt popular.
I cant imagine being such an empty person.
>>
listen to Hawkwind if you want something interesting
>>
>>61344792
That says more about you and the shallow way in which you engage with things than about "liking rock".
>>
all guitar based music is bad
>>
The Velvet Underground never made anything musically interesting, and Lou Reed spent most of his career singing the same note. But I guess he had """attitude""" so that makes up for it.

...The fact that you were going to comment about me being "edgy" shows how this band's fame is just a type of political correctness. Rock pretends to be contrarian, but it turned into its own mainstream with hard rock. With even businessmen and old white people finding it acceptable to listen to bands like these, there wasn't even shock value left.

But I'm glad we're all past rock now so we can look into these silly relics of their time more critically.
>>
>>61344792
Here's how you know a person doesn't know shit about music, the phrase "supposed to be" used to precede a commentary on how bad something is.
>>
>>61344833
>>61344873
I could still like it if it had substance, but the focus on style alone is an added layer of offense.

I mean, don't even tell me Motörhead's popularity doesn't have to do with their image/PR as some sort of rebels. If it were the same music played by skinny guys in tutus, it would've remained as a curiosity (like it should've been) and people would've realized what I'm saying when the band was still relevant.
>>
>>61344876
topkek
>>61344409
great bait OP
>>
I like Mötley Crüe better so whatever.

>>61344599
From Botswana right? Apperantly ranchers there love iron maiden as well.
>>
>>61345043
what do you mean by substance?
>>
>>61344599

is this Witch
>>
File: lemmy23.jpg (148 KB, 465x674) Image search: [Google]
lemmy23.jpg
148 KB, 465x674
>>61345043
lemmy was about getting drunk, doing drugs, and rocking, and thats what he did for 70 years.

also pic related is lemmys image
>>
>>61344862
OP here, Hawkwind is good stuff. Space Ritual is my jam. And it goes to show that Lemmy can be involved in something with just a bit more integrity.

This, however, doesn't change the fact that Motörhead is only a performance for the sake of style, not musical substance. It's not a hard concept.
>>
>>61345133
gud musix
>>
>>61345201
>musical substance

there it is again, that word

what do you mean when you say substance?
>>
>>61344457
kek
>>
>>61345223
so
>i'd like it if i thought it was good

completely tautological, no?
>>
>>61345256
Don't get so hung up on terminology. Tautology or not, the bottom line is Motörhead isn't good. Oops, I said it again.
>>
>>61345201
I CAN TELL WHY PEOPLE LIKE THINGS AND WHAT HAS MERIT AND DOESN'T
WHAT I LIKE HAS MERIT
WHAT I DON'T LIKE DOESN'T HAVE MERIT AND PEOPLE LIKE IT FOR DUMB REASONS
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-29-12-54-36.png (102 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-29-12-54-36.png
102 KB, 480x800
Kek.
>>
>>61345299
Everything is exactly the same, and nothing can be better or worse, ever!

See, I can do this hyperbolic strawman thing too, but it's not very interesting.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-29-12-53-09.png (204 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-29-12-53-09.png
204 KB, 480x800
Kek
>>
>>61344734
*molests your house*
>>
>>61344409
>But I'm glad we're all past rock now
This is bait
>>
/mu/ has no real interest in music other than as social capital. They also consume so much music so often that their ability to appreciate it becomes atrophied and the main goal is to just listen to more, less-known stuff.

They are also remarkably in love with off-kilter pop music for a board full of people who prize themselves in their passion for experimental music, and arguments here quickly devolve into "it sucks" / "no, it's good" / "no, it sucks" because nobody has any basic knowledge of music theory or ability to articulate their opinions beyond "feels."

The ones who are more informed or listen to academic music spend most of their time letting the rest of the board know that they do and using their taste as leverage to get their fifteen minutes of online pseudo-notoriety.

Ultimately /mu/ consists of people who aren't as weird as they think but make use of their ample free time and piracy to invest themselves in a hobby that makes them feel special or sophisticated, allowing them to mentally compensate for their lack of social skills and failures in concrete or academic pursuits.

The real kicker is that in the end the vast majority of /mu/ is a hivemind ruled by a handful of online tastemakers mostly concerned with maintaining a balance between supporting "alternative" pop that will appeal to misunderstood teenagers and maintaining their cred among bored college students who constantly torrent "experimental" music for their mild amusement, negating the cultivation of individual taste or critical thinking in relation to music.

It's a feedback loop of posturing, masturbatory attitudes, and enough layers of irony to suffocate any hope of meaningful conversation. This last element--irony--is vital to allowing /mu/ and similar collectives to ignore the reality of their situation and disregard posts as this one with little more than tongue-in-cheek one-word responses.

Deep down you all know you're going nowhere in life and this is all a farce.
>>
>>61344409
What's the music trend you DON'T consider regressive and silly?
>>
>>61344409
What's the deal with these """"outrageous scare quotes"""" and why is everyone who uses them an obnoxious normalfag troll?
>>
>>61345277
i see you don't have the necessary stamina for constant high quality trolling

shame desu, you started out with so much potential
>>
>>61345161
Lmao
>>
>>61345727
Probably it's an LA thing. A lot of these are.
>>
File: c&h.jpg (95 KB, 736x228) Image search: [Google]
c&h.jpg
95 KB, 736x228
>>61344409
This image is literally us.
>>
>>61344409
>Rock pretends to be contrarian, but it turned into its own mainstream with hard rock.
you are late.

Rock and roll basically started with fucking payola, they paid so much payola, that some radio owners once said to their djs, "stop with jazz and only play this kind of stuff"
>>
OP needs to stop listening to Five Seconds of Summer and get bitchslapped for their shitty views.
>>
>>61346924
OP needs to move around through a straw for the rest of his life.
>>
>>61345189

>doing drugs

Debateable. I don't know his view on weed but he said that cocaine or heroin are awful and he'd never allow his children to do that shit.

Unrelated fun fact: Lemmy was a roadie for Jimi Hendrix.
>>
>>61346924
Interestingly enough, pop punk is a descendant of the apparent shock value of hard rock. Same shit for a different demographic.

So not very effective as an insult if you think about it.
>>
As Lemmy sang in Overkill: Rock and Roll don't deserve the name if it don't make you strut!

Motorhead's music did just that.

Now that Lemmy has passed away, the world is a quieter, sadder place. R.I.P. Lemmy Fuck the haters and baiters.
>>
File: 162.png (750 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
162.png
750 KB, 625x626
>>61344409
>>
>>61347114
(And more commercial as well, considering Motörhead and the like already paved the way for this kind of noise to make big bucks)
>>
>>61344409
look how many quotes the word "attitude" is in

such a tryhard
>>
>>61347555
It's to give it a special sarcastic tone. Single air quotes seem too formal. Kind of a simple detail to have your brain in a tangle for.
>>
>>61344688
hahaha
>>
>Stooges
>The Monks
>MC5
>every protopunk band ever

really we didn't need Motorhead for loud music but hats off to them for helping create and keep buttrock alive for all eternity

Hawkwind was the vastly superior Lemmy-involved act
>>
>>61344688
is this a ironic shitpost or did you just OD on dick-b-gone hormones
>>
>>61344876
Shoegaze is raw as fuck tho, matter of fact this statement is just wrong in every way. Every genre has at least one talented group/artist>>61344884
>>
>>61348281
MC5 were terrible. Motorhead recreated Rock in a fucked up and lovely way. no other band ever came near there sound
>>
>>61345513
You say we're all wasting our lives but that is so hypocritical coming from you. I bet u wasted so much time just sitting there over analyzing the typical /mu/rant when in reality u were prolly jus describing ur own insecurities
>>
Motorhead were really the bare-bones essence of rock-and-roll. They didn't have any gimmicks - they didn't have pseudo-orchestral prog noodling, they didn't wear silly costumes with wigs and makeup, they didn't sing about wizards, Satan, or nuclear war. Especially considering all the bands from their era, only AC/DC were comparable for simple, gimmick-free rock (aside from maybe Angus's schoolboy outfit).
>>
OP is right can the people with reddit tier music taste please leave?
It's clear you're all from /v/.
>>
>>61344409
He focused on making music meant to kick ass. Attitude is part of it, but the overall sound is what really defines the band. And they just happened to nail it on plenty of occasions.
>>
The greatest live performance that Gira would shit his pants for, is nothing?
>>
>>61344409
You wish you were a fraction as cool as lemmy
>>
>>61349398
yeh I think you have to understand what the music scene in the late 70s was like - disco, prog, and Kiss. there wasn't much basic rawk around and Motorhead stepped up to the plate.
>>
>>61350084
Aerosmith had it for a little while, but they got into drugs and fell apart way too fast.
>>
>>61344409
I don't know what the fuck you are saying but On Parole is one of the best rock'n'roll songs ever.
>>
>>61350084
just imagine what rock would be like these days if talentless noisemakers like these hadn't killed prog
>>
>>61350173
Well, yeah. By the time Overkill broke in '78, Aerosmith were already done.
>>
>using the word "rock" to describe anything other than an inanimate lump
>2016
>>
>>61344409
>being this much of a contrarian loser
>>
>>61350084
Don't forget Van Halen.
>>
File: georgeHand.jpg (49 KB, 355x462) Image search: [Google]
georgeHand.jpg
49 KB, 355x462
Yah whatever
>>
>>61350290
Sort of but Van Halen were more effeminate, more Los Angeles, more glammy. They appealed more to sheltered suburban white kids - 12 year old girls who had posters of David Lee Roth on their bedroom wall. Motorhead and AC/DC's fans were white trash/outlaw/biker/rebel types. They were all about having a drink and getting into a barroom fight and they didn't have cutesy frontmen who wore spandex and whom tween girls had a crush on.
>>
>>61350385
I get the feeling most Led Zeppelin and Van Halen fans back in the day grew up to be accountants or minivan soccer moms/dads who torture their kids en route to their Little League practice by forcing you to listen to dadrock on the local classic rock station.
>>
>>61350459
I'm sorry there's unresolved issues between you and your father, OP.
>>
If you think every Motorhead song sounds the same then you definitely only heard 2 of their songs
>>
>>61350479
They're just like the people who never heard an AC/DC song other than TNT and Highway To Hell.
>>
>>61350459
>>61350385
Yeah I have a good idea of what demographic that AC/DC attracted because in high school it was always these pickup truck/John Deere hat kids with cowboy boots who's dads were AC/DC fans in the 80s and then brainwashed their kids into liking them.
>>
The guy wasn't married and he didn't have kids. His music was probably his entire life and he died doing what he loved.
>>
Rock music is all about feeling, and Motörhead is one of the most empowering things I've ever heard.
There are a lot of great songwriters and vocalists with "one note" voices - Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Serge Gainsbourg, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Blake Schwarzenbach, Howlin' Wolf...
As for their musicianship, Lemmy is a very unique and influential bassist, and Fast Eddie and Philthy Phil were amazing musicians
if you need proof of Lemmy's songwriting talent, look at his work in Hawkwind. He was thrown out of that band for overshadowing everyone - of Hawkwind's three biggest songs, two were written by Lemmy and one was sung by him.
Motörhead influenced a lot of the greatest hard rock bands, from the "big four" of thrash - notably Metallica - to some of my favorite bands, like Amebix, GBH, and Bathory.

You know why old businessmen listen to Motörhead? Because Motörhead has been around since 1975. People tend to stick to the music of their youth. If scaring old people is your scale for success, then you're obligated to throw away everybody from The Who to Crass as well. But that would be fucking idiotic and childish.

I like Motörhead because it's fun, empowering music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHbGb1yDgY
>>
>>61351728
>There are a lot of great songwriters and vocalists with "one note" voices - Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Serge Gainsbourg, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Blake Schwarzenbach, Howlin' Wolf

I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing; most artists write essentially one song and just redo it over and over and over. It's not exactly fair to complain about Taylor Swift writing 450 songs about a guy dumping her. Like she's the only person to ever...
>>
>>61351728
>You know why old businessmen listen to Motörhead?

I somehow don't think Motorhead's fans back in the day were the type who became CEOs. More like the guy in a bar with tattoos who bores everyone with stories about the teeth he lost in a fight.
>>
>>61351935
That's copypaste from a forum post you're replying to.
>>
>>61347076
Dude, the man got through a fifth of jack a day well into his 60s and motorhead british slang for speedfreak.
>>
>>61351967
no, it's not. I typed it out. Why are people here such pricks whenever anyone says anything thoughtful, or longer than a sentence?
>>
>>61352037
even if you didn't I'm OK with that opinion.
>>
>>61352037
It sure reads like a bad forum post.
>>
>>61351728
The first proper argumentation in this thread, instead of people getting triggered. I'm not a big Motorhead fan but I appreciate this post.
>>
>>61352719
>>61352125
>>61352037
>>61351728
samefag
>>
>>61347076
As far as I know, booze was Lemmy's fuel. Kind of like James Hetfield who drank like a fish, but swears he never touched hard drugs.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.