[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On Defense the Term "Intelligent Dance Music"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: aphex at party.png (236 KB, 850x940) Image search: [Google]
aphex at party.png
236 KB, 850x940
Now this is a thing I've been thinking about for a while now, and I think that it might make sense for someone else as well. If I say anything non-sensical or crazy just correct me, but try and bear with me for a second.

People have been saying that the term "Intelligent" Dance Music is pretentious, and in the way it is understood it really is, and most IDM musicians think it is a stupid thing to say. But, I never really understood the term "Intelligent" as relating to the people who listen to the music, but the music itself.

Do you know when you get to see those "intelligent freezing" refrigerators, or "intelligent zooming" televisions? Well according to wikitionary this kind of stuff means "Having an environment-sensing automatically-invoked built-in computer capability." as in a machine that is able to know when to work a certain way, or is programmed to "think" and make things following a certain pattern.
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intelligent)

When I think of IDM, or "intelligent music", I think about the average IDM beats. They tend to follow weird patterns and variations. The panning and tones go crazy, the speed of the beat and the drums are played are presented as if being created by a "thinking machine" off-top, thus the beat is almost "alive", creating patterns for itself.

Intelligent Dance Music, to me, means "programmed, self-varying music created by electronics", the kind of beat-based music that acts like a computer is creating the beats, being programmed to do it.

I don't know how well I expressed myself with this but, do you guys understand what I mean? I'm not saying I know why the term was created, or that I think this is a fact. I'm just giving my view of this. What y'all think?
>>
File: 1448937712852b.png (120 KB, 487x328) Image search: [Google]
1448937712852b.png
120 KB, 487x328
>>61302532
>>
>>61302715
>this is the natural response for any thought out post about music on a music board
>proceeds to go hit limit on waifu thread
>>
makes the name sound less stupid to me. good job.
>>
>>61302784
thanks anon
>>
you raise a good point anon. it makes more sense this way, and i wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the people who began to use the term thought like this.

However, the sad reality is most people using it use it in a pretentious way and its true meaning is gonna forever be buried by those ones.
>>
>>61302532
yeah i agree wtih this. good job.
>>
>>61302972
>>61303052
thanks anons! I knew I wasn't crazy
>>
>>61302532

what you're describing is "generative" music. IDM is some of the only pop/dance music with this influence- which comes from "aleatoric" 20th century art music like Xenakis and Cage, where certain decisions in music were left to chance or to algorithms. "generative" music was invented by Brian Eno.

A lot of IDM isn't generative or even aleatoric, it's just heavily edited. Squarepusher and Afx fall into this category.

Autechre is another story. Especially on Confield, some of their compositions were simply patches in max/MSP that would auto-compose. However, when they drifted into using more of the elektron gear in subsequent albums, the complexity became more due to heavy stacking of modulatory lfos and control envelopes inherent in the elektron gear's workflow.
>>
>>61303429
Yea I think I could have explained this better. I wasn't saying IDM is necessarily created with generative algorithms, I meant to say that it's supposed to sound like it is, but mostly it's composed of man-made patterns that are indeed edited until they sound like it was generated by a machine.
>>
here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM8emp9WHwk
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.