[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Analog synths general. Some will probably say this is a new meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12
File: synthsnmore.jpg (128 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
synthsnmore.jpg
128 KB, 750x500
Analog synths general. Some will probably say this is a new meme and there's no reason to go analog since a good quality VA like the Nords can have the best of both worlds. Opinions? Recent purchases?
>>
analog synths are so 2009
>>
File: arturia-microbrute-970-80.jpg (106 KB, 850x505) Image search: [Google]
arturia-microbrute-970-80.jpg
106 KB, 850x505
I recently got my hands on a Volca Keys, which is a fucking polyphonic analog synth the size of a cigar box. It sounds pretty good, not at all like a toy, but actually quite pro. Before less than a week, I was so into this that I purchased a used Arturia Microbrute and I'm loving it. Granted, it's a single oscilator and quite limited, but with some effects added, that little beast can give some beautiful colors to a song
>>
>>61297862
Also it's great for learning the basics of analog synths
>>
File: nanozwerg.jpg (123 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
nanozwerg.jpg
123 KB, 1200x900
I love this little box.
>>
>>61297943
>learning the basics of analog synths
subtractive synthesis basics take like 20 minutes to learn. pls
>>
File: ElektronAnalogFour_03.jpg (144 KB, 800x443) Image search: [Google]
ElektronAnalogFour_03.jpg
144 KB, 800x443
>Analog oscillators
>with digital controllers

VST POORFAGS BTFO
>>
>>61298061
I'd love one of those yeah. Controls/sequencing is pretty deep apparently.
>>
>>61298061
I have an A4 and a RYTM. They're good pieces of kit.
>>
>>61298061
>>61298377

Here's a little jam I did with the A4 when I first got it (drums are in Renoise).

https://clyp.it/l0miixwi

As for analog vs. digital, it's a silly debate. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and so are useful for different things. No need to take sides and limit yourself.
>>
>>61298422
how do I into renoise?
>>
>>61298443
you don't
>>
>>61298443
Download the demo, do the tutorials.

I know it's intimidating, I had the demo for ages before I made anything on it but if you follow the tutorials it's not very difficult to pick up.

I mostly write in Logic but Renoise is brilliant for somethings (and the timing is super tight).
>>
>>61297844
you were like high school
and i was more like real life
>>
>>61298443
And...another thing you can do once you understand it a bit is get hold of someone elses' project files and study them.
>>
>>61297862

fuck, you beat me to it.
i got a microbrute on christmas, it's pretty awesome
>>
>>61298422
>As for analog vs. digital, it's a silly debate. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and so are useful for different things. No need to take sides and limit yourself.

this. same for hardware vs software
>>
>>61298932
Agreed.

It's great having both, allows the greatest number of possibilities and approaches.
>>
>>61297971
I wish MFB shit wasn't so hard to get in the US
>>
>>61299278
At least eurorack is cheap where you are.
>>
Made this yesterday, excerpt from a live session with ms20 mini, small Döpfer, Volca Bass and Beats and Roland Demora delay
https://clyp.it/35rxqrld
>>
>>61299350
"cheap"
>>
>>61299278
you can just order it. there are multiple US distributors
>>
>>61299769
Cheapness is relative ƒam.

But yeh, it's expensive stuff - I've just got a small system that I got for free.
>>
>>61298525
>implying real life is real
>>
Have some modular noises for sampling purposes because it's xxxmas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38w9e4z8l5vxgbb/plonx1.mp3?dl=0
>>
>>61299957
that's one sad dog at the end
>>
>>61300002
Haha, yeh, I love electronic sounds that sound like they come from living creatures.
>>
>>61299877
>implying we arent in the matrix
>>
>>61299278
>>61299829
Thomann.de usually carries it and looks like they ship to US too. Anyway it's kinda hard to get over here too, just because they do small runs.
>>
who /modular/ here?
pic related is my silly little setup, expanding very slowly. I'm thinking about pressure points as my next purchase. I've got multiples, they're just not in the pic :^)))
>>
>>61303954
>staples floppies
this made me chuckle for some reason

make noise has some great stuff and pressure points looks like a cool unit. i would personally get some more basic stuff first though, like a cool env or another osc. nice little start to a system anyways friend
>>
File: like dust in the wind.jpg (1 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
like dust in the wind.jpg
1 MB, 2464x1632
Here's part of mine. I recently acquired a tx81z which is amazing but I'm a bit out of room and cables

>>61303954
That is the start of something beautiful

Did you make the enclosure yourself? I really want to start one but all the enclosures are so expensive

>>61298422
awesome demo really loving that whole thing
>>
>>61304133
I want a 106 so fucking bad

Why do they have to be so expensive
>>
>>61304173
I saw an hs60 for 150 bucks a few weeks ago but I missed out on it. They're really expensive on ebay and stuff but you could probably get one in a local shop or craigslist for a decent price
>>
>>61304133
Thanks! It's loads of fun. Jelly of your Juno.

I used the doepfer diy kit #1, which includes rails and power. Building the case was pretty easy, and i'm no craftsman. Definitely a solid option for a starter.

You could also look at the tiptop happy ending kit as another option.

>>61304020
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm tickled that you enjoy the floppies!
>>
>>61304133
Have you got any music to post yet?
>>
>>61304303
nah I've been far too busy with work and real life stuff to even get to play recently combined with the fact that I've had to move my setup outside of this room so I can start taking the panels down

I've got some clips written and I want to get some stuff recorded and some other samples to cut up but the holidays threw a big wrench in that but now that they're mostly over I hope to sit down get comfy and make some jams

>>61304285
>I used the doepfer diy kit #1, which includes rails and power. Building the case was pretty easy, and i'm no craftsman. Definitely a solid option for a starter

I'll have to look into it. How much does it cost?
>>
>>61304366
not him but the happy ending kit is like 140 or something. i have one and its probably the cheapest way to start a system. its really solid too.
>>
>>61304366
DIY kit #1 is about $200, so it's still an investment. If you're in the US, you'll probably have to order from analogue haven.
>>
>>61304418
>>61304422
Thanks for the info

I'll have to bookmark it for now as it's really more important to finish building a rack so I dont have to stack all my shit up on top of my desk

>tfw no modular with diode ladder filter
>>
>>61297800
Anyone know a good Wav sampler?
>>
>>61304422
>order from analogue haven
this is a good site. big city music is pretty decent for US people as well
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 276x183
Two words
Hammond Organ
>>
>>61304443
well the happy ending kit has a tabletop bit at the back but can also mount to a rack. you can buy rack rails really cheaply (like 7 dollars) and as long as you can screw them into a piece of wood or something that will hold them up it will work for a beginners setup no problem
>>
>>61304530
That's mighty tempting

I'm not really worried about the enclosure or rails it's mostly the power supply
>>
>>61299278
yeah i want a fucking tanzbar but am super sketched by all these shady distributors.
>>
>>61304556
its not as complicated as it might seem. you have a psu and a bus board. psu powers the bus board and you plug all the units into the bus. the units tell you how much power they draw and you just dont go over the bus boards power when you add up the power draw from the units. the muff wiggler forum has a good sticky for people new to modulars and a lot of people with good experience so if you do bite the bullet i would recommend you check that out
>>
>>61304702
I'm gonna check that out right now thanks for the info
>>
>>61304661
You could try emailing MFB about ordering one. I tried to buy one from MFB a few months back, but the guy never sent me a paypal invoice.
>>
>>61304661
well they have several distributors on their website and analogheaven is good if you are not in europe
>>
>>61305000
But it's $300 more than the MSRP on the mfb website.
>>
>>61305158
on analogheaven? yea cuz thats USD and not euro like on the mfb site.......
>>
>>61305205
It's 840 eur on the mfb site and $1200 on analoghaven. If Google is accurate than 840 eur is about $920 usd.
>>
File: tt_front.jpg (422 KB, 1280x644) Image search: [Google]
tt_front.jpg
422 KB, 1280x644
Is this the most faithful 303 clone?
>>
i have a prophet 5 but i'm gonna try to sell it so i can buy a prophet 6 desktop module. i love the prophet 5 but it's too fragile/expensive to bother gigging with, unlike the prophet 6.
>>
File: 1451090420574.jpg (132 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1451090420574.jpg
132 KB, 600x600
how do i into synths, making music with lots of accessories, whatever this shit is, etc.
>>
>>61305251
that or a x0xb0x yeah.
>>
File: image.png (981 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
981 KB, 640x960
>>61304453
I got one of those. It's chopped for gigging. No pics though. Here's a shitty Thomas I lit on fire. I think I'll blow up another with Tannerite.
>>
>>61305251
probaly, check out the avalon bassline though. It's a 303 clone with extended controls and hot swappable filters.
>>
>>61305261
I know what you mean, I never want to gig with the Minimoog, I spend enough time fixing it already.
>>
>>61305232
well then pay for shipping or wait till a tiny american store actually has one in stock and hope you live in that city.
>>
>>61305304
>swappable filters
is there a reason to go near a 303 other than for the filter?
>>
>>61305325
yep, and not only that, but no way i'd leave my gear unattended after a gig in my car while i try to 'socialize' so it pretty much ruins any pre-post gig experience by worrying about getting your vintage $$$$ gear stolen.
>>
>>61305359
The sequencer is really nice
>>
>>61305429
yea probably but if i'm bothering with a 303 hardware unit it's probably cuz of the filter clone
>>
I refuse to buy a new synth until I send my Juno to synth spa to get fixed. I would love to get a realistic moog though.
>>
>>61305616
>realistic moog
i swear those were made somewhere else from other moog stuff even if they had license to designs. i played with one as a kid that was left in my friends basement and it was so tacky and cheap plastic feeling
>>
>>61305616
Same, but I'm to sketched to send it to synthspa and local techs want a ton of cash.
>>
>>61305698
why are you sketched to send it to synth spa? Dude has been around forever. I know some people that used him and one guy who bought one off of him. No complaints whatsoever, except that he takes a while.
>>
>>61305268
buy a synth
>>
>>61305429
Speaking of which, anyone got the korg sq-10? Great little box which completely obliterated my plans of ever trying to build a cheap sequencer myself.
>>
>>61305987
if you want hardware seq overload here you go. its pricey, complicated and also awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGqUHItzVU
>>
>>61306078
That's not a sequencer, it's an arbitrary function generator! :^)
>>
File: gyesy6s5eydfhdrxy.jpg (50 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gyesy6s5eydfhdrxy.jpg
50 KB, 400x400
>>61306230
oh, thanks friend! ;)
>>
Should I invest in a volca bass?
>>
>>61306634
yes
>>
>>61306078

>Buchla, or How to Spend Thousands of Dollars and Hours Learning About Electricity and Sound Synthesis and Spending A Week Carefully Sequencing Something That Could've Been Done in 1/10th Of the Time and Effort in A Cheapo Analog Synth but of course You Couldn't Brag About Owning a Buchla
>>
>>61306758
>"I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing"
-Guy Who Usually Has a Good Idea of What He's Doing
>>
>>61306892

t. Middle Aged Gearslutz Power User Making Boring Ambient With His 20k Worth Of Vintage Gear
>>
>>61306758
you do know that unit is digital right? and yea, buchla is very pricey but a lot of their modules are also pretty unique. you seem very confused
>>
>>61306943
>Vintage Gear
That's a modern buchla.
>>
>>61306979

I know, was referring to the typical Buchla owner/Gearslutz faggot. MOTU units and mint condition Space Echos and Buchlas spent on tripe soundcloud ambient lmfao

>>61306951

I've yet to see anything made in a Buchla that didn't sound like an electrical engineer's farts.
>>
>>61306634
>Should I invest in a volca bass?
no, they are not going to become a price inflated device in the future. buy one if you want it for current use though. they are ok-ish i guess
>>
>>61307049
>that didn't sound like an electrical engineer's farts.
i agree a lot of YT videos just have people making noise but thats not the hardware's fault. (this applies to serge stuff as well) but really its interesting stuff and way more flexible than old moog modulars and things that get way too much praise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHv3E2o5HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyxvcOP2-ho
>>
>>61307131
why are all of these videos out od tune? are buchlas that unstable with pitch?
>>
>>61307266
well a wavy pitch is clearly the intention there but old analogs sound like that. its ok, you can hate due to fanbase. thats a good way to go about things or you can just claim that every non dvco instrument ever is bad
>>
>>61307332
i am a different guy, it was a serious question.
>>
>>61307420
oh ok. cuz that was the point. the issue with buchla and serge synths people have is that their osc structure is kinda different a a lot of people use them to make shitty music cuz they get too lost in the tech. this leads people not in the know to think they are shit esp kinda the price point cuz they are rare and old. in reality both companies have very interesting synths that happen to not have become the norm
>>
>>61307332
I am not "hating" the fanbase, even if my comments were crass

It's that at the end of the day Buchla owners are like Max/Pure Data users: they know their shit in and out, they can do some mildly interesting shit with their shit and at the end of the day, 99% of their product is musically worthless. Gear masturbation and EE in the form of music that I am sure some people enjoy.

Sure a lot of fellow nerds will "get it" and like it, but it isn't music, its engineering. Any musician can take a Buchla and integrate it in his workflow but a Buchla on its own its usually an expensive toy for rich hobbyist. Those two videos you posted sound like Berlin School farts, but I guess I'm just a pleb
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFpMYhRbkQ
>>
>>61307694
i agree, the fanbase makes shit music en large. that still doesnt make the hardware shit which was my initial contest with you or whoever was upset with the brand.
>>
>>61304453
True, also combo organs do the trick.
>>
File: Bananna.jpg (3 KB, 213x120) Image search: [Google]
Bananna.jpg
3 KB, 213x120
I have an Ensoniq ESQ-1 coming in the mail right now. It's my first synth, anyone have any tips/tricks/advice they wanna share? I'm reading the manual right now
>>
I know literally nothing about synths except that they sound super cool so maybe this question is very stupid and offtopic:

I have a digital piano with plain boring sounds, is there any way to make it sound like one of those badass synths from '70 prog rock?
>>
>>61308233
Great synth Learn to use the envelopes and lfos as they're really nice and useful

The filter is great and the default patches

Also learn how the layout is for each of the menus and the sync mode is nice

Also watch some videos to get inspired like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIoh2CP3Lc
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.