[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to get into vinyls, so im going to settle on a turnta
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: lil ugly mane box set.jpg (90 KB, 800x446) Image search: [Google]
lil ugly mane box set.jpg
90 KB, 800x446
i want to get into vinyls, so im going to settle on a turntable

would this be a good turntable for my first? http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTA-230-Stereo-Turntable-Speakers/dp/B00BCA4116/ref=lp_3003611_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1451169669&sr=1-2

What are some good recommendations?
>>
>>61283740
le sticky is a good recommendation
>>
>>61283740
don't buy anything "portable" or with built in speakers. they're all cheap garbage that will sound like crap and ruin your records. they are literally worse than nothing

get an at-lp120 or a vintage turntable + some speakers from goodwill. it will cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

also, don't call them vinyls.
>>
>>61284021
listen to this guy, a week or so of searching craigslist and nearby thrift stores and you can find yourself a good cheap setup
>>
>>61284021
if you're still not convinced look at the one star reviews - http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTA-230-Stereo-Turntable-Speakers/product-reviews/B00BCA4116/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

real turntables don't skip everywhere or break within a week
>>
File: 1450940330280.jpg (45 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1450940330280.jpg
45 KB, 604x453
Guys my cartridge is too heavy for my turntable. My ring only goes up to 3.5 and my cartridge requires 4.5. What can I do, will it still sound good?
>>
>>61283740
dj hero is so fucking fun

wish they would make more
>>
>>61284159
dj hero 1 was fun but I feel like there was alot of wasted potential, the gameplay could have incorporated actual dj mechanics but
>>
>>61284754
yeah, it'd be nice if the platter was a bit more responsive. could use a major overhaul. or if they could somehow cue for real, diverse scratching techniques that manipulate the track in real time rather than trying to essentially perfect a series of buttons to play a pre-recorded track.

still, getting stoned and perfecting shit on expert (except for groundhog ofc) were some good times.
>>
I'll go ahead and just post this question in this thread instead of making another.

I too recently started collecting records and I'm using one of my brothers old record players that's one of the newer ones with built in speakers and CD player. Now I recognize that these are shit and ruin records, but can someone tell me why this player plays 10"s perfectly but always skips the intro and skips every now and then on 12"? Like it literally makes 0 sense to me. I can play Kid A with no problem, but any 12" has its intro skipped and just has general audio problems
>>
>>61284021

I've often heard people recommend vintage turntables, but surely something modern/newer would be better than something which has been used for decades and is in God knows what condition?
>>
>>61283740
For starters it's 'vinyl', not 'vinyls'.
>>
>>61283740
nice meme
>>
>>61285146
If someone has taking care of their player there shouldn't be any problems. The technology hasn't really evolved over the years, so vintage stuff can be just as great.
>>
File: atechnica-10.jpg (550 KB, 1032x581) Image search: [Google]
atechnica-10.jpg
550 KB, 1032x581
>>61283740
Nearly everyone recommends getting this as a starter or getting a vintage unit. I started on ATLP-60 and am now selling it after picking up this one.
>>
>>61285138
that might be a problem with the anti-skate (or lack thereof)
>>
>>61285295
Yeah its just weird man, cause the player has no needle lever, so I have to start it by hand. Kid A has no problem starting on either record, but on both my 12"s the intro is always skipped to like 30 seconds into the song, and then proceeds to play correctly the longer its spinning for. These are all new records straight out of the wrap by the way
>>
>>61285146
> but surely something modern/newer would be better than something which has been used for decades

definitely not if it's a cheap piece of shit like the thing in the OP. records haven't changed, and any vintage turntable that's survived to 2015 was built to last, so if properly maintained, it will work just as well as a brand new lp-120. you might need to buy a new stylus, but even with then it will be much cheaper than purchasing a non-shitty new turntable.
>>
>>61284075
i have a sony pslx3 i bought for 5 dollars from some hippies upstate
the little light doesnt work and i had to buy a new slipmat but otherwise it runs absolutely perfectly

trust me, going to savers, goodwill, checking cragslist, or going to flea markets and garage sales will pay off.
>>61285146
not really. the only thing to look out for are things that feel light, cheap, or have belt drives (specifically from the late 80s or 90s). otherwise, the only advancements in technology between 1995 and 2015 are really ridiculous and unnecessary things like having a carbon fiber arm and being made of fucking platinum or something
seriously, people will pay a shitload of money for something that looks better but sounds only marginally better.
>>
>>61283740
red flags:
>non counterweighted arm
>anything new under $200
>built in speakers

direct drive is a very nice feature but often not present in cheap turntables.
AT LP120 and stanton t.62 are good starter turntables that won't fuck up your records.
>>
>plastic tone arm

nope
>>
i see a lot of people recommending the audio technica. thing is where i live it's tough to get and expensive. but the jb systems q3 is available and a bit cheaper. they seem like they're pretty identical and i read good things about them. good purchase to make for digitalizing/sampling?
>>
>>61285146
look at it this way: the turntables made during the time when vinyl was the format everyone used (when there was a much larger market for turntables) are going to be more affordable and built more solidly (after years of trial and error)
>>
>>61285566
sure
they're both basically knockoff technics turntables, so the q3 will be just fine I think
>>
>>61285698
this. the only reason Crosley and co. get away with making crap is that vinyl is a niche hobby in 2015 - most people no longer know how to tell what makes a good turntable, and they don't care
>>
>>61286007
approximately how many uses would it take from a cheap record player like a crosley to ruin a record?
>>
>>61286134
Ruin? probably more than 15 or 20 but there is going to be noticeable skipping and damage to the grooves and the overall sound in alot less than that
>>
>>61285448
What's wrong with belt drive? Or do you just mean cheap late 80s/90s shit plastic turntables?
>>
>>61287160
belt drive turn tables from the 80s and 90s have a lot of pitch wobble and tend to be very unreliable
direct drive turntables are much better from the era
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1000x1000
>>61283740
If you want to go cheap, check out the Pyle PLTTB1. Yes it's cheap and plastic, but actually has a real tonearm with counterweight, and a real headshell allowing you to mount your cartridge of choice if you want. It's far better than any Crosley/Jensen shit and at ~$70 on Amazon it's a pretty good deal if you don't want to spend much and can't find a vintage table. My friend has this and it sounds very good for the price, and won't trash your records.
>>
>>61287329
True, that's what I thought you meant. I had a shitty early 90s Onkyo that I picked up at goodwill for $5, and it was a mess. It looked like new, sounded like shit.
>>
>>61287360
Thanks for posting this, Not OP, but I am considering this now as a starter turntable while I save up for a better one or find something vintage.
>>
When I wanted to play my old mans records after he passed, I went on TradeMe (NZ Ebay) and looked for a 70's turntable. Came with stacker system and Pioneer (also good 70's stuff) for NZD50. That plus a new needle (NZD25) and I have the setup I'll have for the next 20 years. Not bad for 75 bucks.
>>
>>61285146

Back in the 70's, shit was built to last.
>>
>>61283740
>http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTA-230-Stereo-Turntable-Speakers/dp/B00BCA4116/ref=lp_3003611_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1451169669&sr=1-2
honestly this ain't a bad turntable.

Buy whatever you want. If this is in your price range, sure. Vinyl, regardless of sound, is very fun to collect. All the album art and stuff is amazing. Welcome to the wonderful hobby of collecting vinyl!
>>
>>61285453
>anything under $200

The U-Turn is 180 you dork, and it is fine
>>
>>61290748
Hello Jensen employee
>>
>>61290803
Pyle PLTTB1, I also suggest this alongside >>61287360 so if you don't like records after a few years (they are a gimmick anyways) then you won't waste much money
>>
probably a stupid question but here goes

is there a cheap way (probably ebay) to get into dj mixing/scratching with vinyls?
>>
Bit of a noob here, but I'm looking for a record player that I can listen to with just headphones. So I'm looking for something with 1/8" or 1/4" output.
>>
>>61291998
Try to find an older model of the Vestax PMC05 and some Technics. Look into Deckadance for timecode on the cheap.
>>
who here /fuckedupandboughtacrosley/? too scared to play any of my records now, just gonna have to get the money for a better one now.
>>
>>61292797
most preamps have one. pick up a vintage setup.
>>
File: pro-ject debut iii.jpg (485 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
pro-ject debut iii.jpg
485 KB, 2592x1944
Cut all the bullshit and just get a Debut III.

There's not point cheaping out.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.