[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is music a low form of art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 300x169-king-crimson-court-of.jpg (10 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
300x169-king-crimson-court-of.jpg
10 KB, 300x169
When was the last time you got truly captivated by an album?

When was the last time you cried after listening to a song?

When was the last time you felt connected to a song?

All this, you can experience in film, pictures. But for some reason, we just can't evoke these thoughts in music.

Why? Are we not trying hard enough? Or has mainstream pop music devalue music to a mere easy way of brainless entertainment?
>>
>captivated by a film
nothing made in the last 20 years
>captivated by a picture
never

>cried from film
never
>cried from picture
never

>connected to film
never
>connected to picture
never
>>
lel autist
>>
maybe YOU just dont like music as much, op?

at least me, i dont care that much about film, if at all, and could reverse your question thus
>>
>>61261101
Music is the highest form of art
>>
nah literature is, only children read novels
>>
>>61261218
>>
>>61261218
This

>The inexpressible depth of music, so easy to understand and yet so inexplicable, is due to the fact that it reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain… Music expresses only the quintessence of life and its events, never these themselves.
>>
I've never cried to a movie. I've watched all sorts of movies and I haven't liked any all that much. Different mediums affect people in different ways.
>>
>>61261101
>But for some reason, we just can't evoke these thoughts in music.
Speak for yourself. The most deeply fascinating and captivating experiences in my life has been through music. I get more emotionally stimulated through story and pictures, but music sure as fuck can too.
>>
>>61261101
You are probably more moved by the shitty movie soundtrack you brain dead good person
>>
>>61261101
music is a bottom tier art, right above video games.
>>
>>61261101
I want /tv/ to leave.
>>
>>61261101
>OP not knowing what subjectivity is AND being a faggot
>>
>>61261314

>implying anything else takes more talent other than maybe visual art like drawings and paintings
>>
Music can be and mostly is much more personal than a movie
>>
>>61261159
This desu.
>>
File: 1432858495645.jpg (15 KB, 259x192) Image search: [Google]
1432858495645.jpg
15 KB, 259x192
>>61261101
>When was the last time you got truly captivated by an album?
literally yesterday

going through the king crimson discography in a new pair of headphones is fucking glorious
>>
>>61261218
I would say that not only is music the highest form of art, it is the only form of art. Other media are only artful insofar as they are "musical" (in an abstract sense of the word).
>>
>captivated by album
Wish You Were Here

>Cried from song
First time I ever listened to Rocket Man by Elton John

>Connected to a song
Yellow Ledbetter
>>
>>61261101

>we just can't evoke these thoughts in music

Have you ever heard music before?
>>
>>61261101
I get captivated by both film and music.... literature also

why limit yourself to one form of art?
>>
no it isn't
>>61261314
also, i don't really care for that "video games" is art argument that much and i may just be a faggot but there are some games that have hit me harder than any movie, or album w/e, some are pretty much part of me but none of the games that come up lately really deserve being called "art"
>>
>>61261101

I know this is bait, but...

>But for some reason, we just can't evoke these thoughts in music.

Who the FUCK actually thinks this? I would bet that far more /mu/tants have cried while listening to music or seeing a concert than watching a movie.

There's one movie every 5 years that can make me cry. There's about 5 albums EVERY year that can do that.
>>
It's getting cold, isn't it?
>>
>implying those scenes in movies that moved you so much or made you cry wasn't because it had powerful music or a soundtrack in the backround
>>
Dumb bait thread but it's still interesting how people only talk about pop music when talking about music. I was feeling a bit bored with music until I decided to into classical and music theory and it's really, really interesting. Sparked my love for music again. Especially the theory wank in music is generally more objective and practical than for instance in visual arts, which also makes it really cool and also made me see the pop songs I had gotten bored with in a new light.
>>
File: REEEE.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
REEEE.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>art is about emotions!

get off my board plebeians, this is why you'll never get masterpieces like trout mask replica or 4'33
>>
>>61264730
>Frownland
>Not intensely emotional

His smile is stuck, anon.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.