[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it. Sounds like they just dropped acid and wrote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
File: original_460.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
original_460.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
I don't get it. Sounds like they just dropped acid and wrote some generic, meaningless songs. The only good song is A Day In The Life. Can someone explain why this is considered so good?
>>
Because the people that call it good have listened to it more than once
>>
>>61243634
But I've listened to it 4 times.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 700x700
>>61243622
>implying something acid inspired is even capable of being meaningless
do you understand the nature of reality and perception frend? What is meaningless to you is simply your own limitations manifesting into your musical taste. Appreciate. Breathe. Love.
>>
>Can someone explain why this is considered so good?
Because it's easy to listen psychedelic influenced pop music, accessible and regarded as revolutionary.
>>
>>61243677
you aren't enlightened or more knowledgable just because you took some drug that makes you think otherwise you turd
>>
>>61243677
Bet you're a tool fan
>>
>>61243622
>generic, meaningless songs
Every song is united in it's desire to reach out, unite, understand, and love. They may sound generic today but in the context within which they were written, they blew people's minds.
>>
>>61243708
>regarded as revolutionary
Justifiably so. Sgt. Pepper created a whole new world.
>>
>>61243789
Hiow so?
>>
Not everyone raved on about it back in the day. Dylan and Zappa weren't fans for one, on two totally different ends of the rock spectrum in 67.
>>
>>61243807
It's patented, tape-echoed sound on every song, the way the tracks bled into one another, the intro and outro songs, the cover, everything. It was a self-contained universe on vinyl and the first of it's kind.
>>
>>61243848
>the way the tracks bled into one another
Lennon himself said this was the only really revolutionary thing about the album years later.
>>
>>61243876
Lennon disowned everything he did with The Beatles in an attempt to carve out his own space separate from them in music and in the world, I wouldn't read too much into it.
>>
>>61243622
>bait threads
>>
>>61243822
That's because Dylan was the original "Revolver was better" contrarian
>>
>>61243883
This was in one of the far later interviews, when he was giving Paul praises (admitting he came out of retirement because of a competitive urge) and talking candidly about The Beatles. It was a reflective thought more than anything.
>>61243902
Dylan pretty obviously wanted to distance himself from psychedelia as a whole, actually.
>>
>>61243896
Not bait. I just didn't think it was that good.
>>
To all the Sgt Pepper haters: name a more cohesive album that came out before this one.
>>
>>61243975

Pet Sounds
>>
>>61243934
Even in 1980 I think he still wanted to re-record virtually every song he'd done with them. It's hard to ever trust John as an objective voice when assessing The Beatles because he had so many misgivings and so much bitterness about the whole run after the fact.
>>
>>61243975
Pet Sounds
>>
>>61243975
The Ventures in Space
>>
>>61243989
Pet Sounds ended in more old-fashioned fade outs, Pepper's songs were blended into one another, but, Pet Sounds is about as close as you'll get, Pre-Pepper.
>>
>>61243975
A Love Supreme.
>>
>>61243848
This is a really good way of putting it. It paved the way for every other album of this type.
>>
One of the best Beatles albums. Even better when actually on acid. The cover art trips hard
>>
>>61243975
Revolver
>>
>>61243989
>>61243993
Pet Sounds was certainly cohesive but the tracks didn't all fit as one in the same way as Sgt Pepper's. As mentioned before, every track completely fades out before moving on to the next.

>>61244007
Not a terrible choice.
>>
listen to it in mono to get the full effect. stereo doesn't do it justice. its like a completely different album in mono.
>>
>>61243934
Dylan was trying to distance himself from all major 60's trends, basing his innovations off of pre-60's roots. BUT, that doesn't mean he didn't listen to the Beatles, and he directly influenced Revolver itself when he introduced the Beatles to all dem drugs. The first time the Beatles played a Revolver track for Bob, he said something to the effect of "You're not writing songs for little girls anymore, are ya'?". That's pretty clear approval. His gripe with Sgt. Pepper's was that he saw the "concept album" shtick as a gimmick, he didn't dislike the psychedelic aspects, even though he didn't enjoy the genre on a whole.
>>
>>61244181
What do you interpret his move to electric as? Keeping pace with rock groups like The Beatles?
>>
File: Bob+Dylan.jpg (29 KB, 282x425) Image search: [Google]
Bob+Dylan.jpg
29 KB, 282x425
>>61244228
His move to electric was a revival of the roots rock 'n' roll he listened to during his teenage years. Did you know young Bob was at the final Buddy Holly show? Folk was just a vehicle to him. I've read books on Dylan, try me senpai
>>
>>61244264
If I put as much effort into Dylan as I did into high school I'd have gone to a good college out the bat. Acknowledging a change in audience doesn't automatically equate with a sense of approval.

And the track was Strawberry Fields.
>>61244264
This is true and false. It'd be more correct to say that Dylan saw folk as a vehicle for artistic pursuit instead of a vehicle for fame. He wouldn't have spent hours jamming on old folk/country/blues songs with The Band in a basement if otherwise. The fact that he's returned to it time and again throughout his career is proof enough of the fact.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (10 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
10 KB, 243x207
>Beatles discography gets released on Spotify
>Kids shitposting about it now
>>
>>61244347
Fair enough, you're not wrong, but I also think you're not reading the context enough. Dylan would never actually say "hey that's a good track", especially not in the 60s. You had to read between the lines with Dylan.

True, he had respect for folk and country and blues, hell his biggest idol was Woody Guthrie. But when I say folk I meant "greenwich village protest folk", which aside from Another Side or cover tracks, is the vast majority of his pre-trilogy output. It wasn't all of his songs, and practically none of the deep cuts, but they were the popular tracks among his crowd. This is the folk he abandoned. The folk/country/blues roots can be heard practically on all of his records. He's always enjoyed that style.
>>
>asking why it's considered good
>probably listened to it once for the first time when it was released in spotify
how's high school OP?
>>
I don't frequent /mu/, does the Beatles normally get this much shitposting or is it just because of how their music's available on stream now?
>>
>>61244518
Listened to it before, never thought it's was that good. Decided to listen to it again for the 4th time, still not that good. Why don't you fucking contribute instead of using insults.
>>
>>61244556
the latter
>>
>>61244459
Dylan was outspoken about his like of The Byrds and his liking of some of the other early singer-songwriters like Townes Van Zandt.

The protest folk wasn't really the bulk of his pre-trilogy output, that's a common misconception. Times They Are is obviously, but even that has some obviously personal tracks.
>>61244556
There's usually one a day, but not to this extent.
>>
>>61244578
Why's it not that good?
>>
>>61243677
i like the way your picture goes with your caption. very clever, what with are the partricians on this board. nevermind guys, dont worry about it.i understand. i understand.
>>
>61244606
Sounds generic. Am I supposed to like it because the tracks blend together?
>>
>>61244578
It took me a loooot of listens to like this and Abbey Road but it was worth it, I love them both and Sgt. Pepper's is my favorite of all time now
>>
>>61243718
I bet he's a tool fâm
>>
>>61244658
No yo u dummy, even of you don't like it you should recognize the historical importance of it, no one should tell you what to enjoy but at least get your facts straight
Also, learn how to quote, underage newfag
>>
>>61244829
I never said I didn't respect it's signifigance. I just don't understand how its even remotely considered one of the greatest albums.
>>
>>61244383
I prefer to see people talking about the beatles discography than kpop generals and death grips shitposting
>>
>>61243622
They popularized chords on this record.
>>
>>61243622
Well gosh dang billy bob I guess people got opiniondippitydoos who woulda guessed what a jam
>>61243677
BLEUGHEUGHUGEHGUH
>>
>>61244007
GOOD DAY MR BOND
>>
>>61245009
I don't get it
>>
File: Bob+Dylan (1).jpg (83 KB, 500x679) Image search: [Google]
Bob+Dylan (1).jpg
83 KB, 500x679
>>61244605
Of course Dylan was outspoken on the Byrds, a fourth of their catalog are (quality) Dylan covers. I know it's not the bulk of his pre-trilogy work, but among the scenes and the mainstream that's what he was known for, which frustrated him. That's the point I tried to make.
>>
>>61243876
>tracks bleed into each other
>revolutionary
Mahler would like to have a word with you
>>
It's famous for being the second concept album ever.
>>
>>61243622

>People think Sgt Pepper was psychedelic
>Paul hadn't even taken acid til they were practically done with the album
>Sgt pepper was Paul's idea

I prefer MMT for psych beatles, Sgt pepper for artsy fartsy Beatles
>>
Take this poll

http://strawpoll.me/6355985
>>
>>61245128
>implying you have to take drugs to make a good psychedelic record

>within you, without you; mr. kite!; lucy in the sky; a day in the life
>not psychedelic

get your shit together
>>
>>61245128
maaan MMT is fucking great too, that's one EP I don't see talked about much here
>>
The Beatles are the Catan of music. Both plebs and patricians can appreciate their albums.
>>
>>61245209
why talk about the EP when you can talk about the album
>>
>>61245299
it was a double EP afaik
>>
>>61245387
I believe that depends on the release. the yankee version added buncha' singles 'cus they dumb af over there
>>
>>61245387
it was released as a LP in the US, which consisted on side 1: the soundtrack of the MTT film and side 2: 1967 singles (all you need is love, penny lane, baby you're a rich man, etc).

I prefer to see it as that LP
>>
>>61245478
MMT*

shit, sorry
>>
That's your opinion.
>>
>>61245020
look at post numbers friendo
>>
File: 3a.png (7 KB, 342x107) Image search: [Google]
3a.png
7 KB, 342x107
>>61246241
Oh.

Stop, then.
>>
>>61243975
Wouldn't call an album with a few songs that song out of place "cohesive"
>>
Revolver>White Album = Abbey Road>Sgt. Peppers
>>
>>61246382
Abbey Road > Sgt. Pepper's = White Album > Revolver > Magical Mystery Tour > Let It Be
>>
I really enjoyed the Dylan discussion that came from this
>>
>generic
Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1358016126_JohnLennon-BobDylan.jpg (166 KB, 885x400) Image search: [Google]
1358016126_JohnLennon-BobDylan.jpg
166 KB, 885x400
>>61246465
I could discuss Dylan for days to be honest senpai, and I have infinite pictures of him
>>
>>61243622
worst of the good Beatles albums
>>
it's a 5/10
Worst out of the post-Rubber Soul releases as well. Abbey Road and Revolver are far superior
>>
>>61243709
Dropping acid is one of the most intense experiences you can have. It can effect you in extreme ways, to the effect that it can be measured as a life event from a psychological communication perspective. There's a reason its illegal. Acid doesn't give you the secret to the universe, but don't trivialize the experiences derived from it. However, evidence of acid's profundity is the fact that it can only effect the sense you have experienced. People who have been blind their entire lives will not see hallucinations while on acid, but blind people who once could see do see hallucinations. This shows that acid's effects are surreal depictions of your perception, not simply drug induced meaningless visuals. That being said, acid has very little to do with this album, and the fact that its very good. I like multiple songs on that album.
>>
>>61243902
>implying Dylan wasn't just shitting on psychadelia to troll the media, as he always has done
>>
>>61243822
Zappa didn't like it? Why did he copy the cover? To make fun of them?
>>
>>61247913
Obviously to make fun of them have you even heard his record?
>>
>>61243677
this was nothing short of genius. not perfect by any means, but genius nontheless. most people wont get it, like cudi's album. except this is a bit better haha.
>>
>>61247927
Yes but I didn't think he was blatantly making fun of a band by saying "We're only in it for the money" even though the Beatles had recently stopped touring to focus on studio albums rather than income.
>>
>>61247795
I have done acid multiple times and had incredibly profound "realizations" but I'm smart enough to know that it is drug induced and not real. It's a false sense of discovery
>>
>>61247993
Zappa spent $4,000 on the photo shoot, which he stated was "a direct negative" of the Sgt. Pepper album cover. "[Sgt. Pepper] had blue skies [...] we had a thunderstorm."

Zappa hated the entire psychedelic hippie movement and Sgt. Pepper embodied it. There's no fathomable way he didn't dislike this album.
>>
>>61246279
I guess you are the unofficial helper after all. Thanks and merry christmas, friend.
>>
>>61243622

I think it has really aged poorly- it was an unusual album when it came out from a band as popular as the Beatles were so it really opened up doors for a wider range of pop/rock music to get released so it has a lot of cultural signifigance, but in retrospect I don't think it's even in top 5 Beatles releases
>>
The mono version of SPLHCB is better.
>>
>>61248922
every album after rubber soul is better in stereo
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.