[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people pretend they like miles davis? makes them feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: miles.jpg (14 KB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
miles.jpg
14 KB, 440x300
why do people pretend they like miles davis? makes them feel special or what?
>>
i dont know
>>
can you repeat the question
>>
>>61241348
these threads are the worst meme ever

and i dont even like miles davis
>>
>>61241355
>>61241387
>>61241398
>>61241405
>>61241410
impressive, like my dubs
>>
>>61241426
YOURE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
YOURE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
Who pretends to like Miles Davis? If someone was trying to appear deep or something I'd expect them to "pretend" to like Alan Silva or someone in that area.
>>
Miles was a trendsetter - if you're interested in the development of jazz as a genre over a longer time period, Miles is the best artist to dig

he also did such a wide range of music that almost anyone interested in jazz will find some Miles that they like

I was just listening to this album - cool stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2GFYpSo0
>>
if he's jazz then why doesn't he play the saxaphone
>>
>>61241475
trying this hard
>>
>>61241530
Holy shit, you serious? What the fuck is wrong with Miles?
>>
>>61241667
pretentious as fuck
>>
I thought he was bald
>>
>>61241687
fuck you
miles is great
>>
>>61241687
You know fuck all about jazz m8
>>
>>61241687
>using pretentious as an insult

Go listen to foo fighters
>>
>>61241722
What's there to know? They just make it up as they go along
>>
yeah, makes them feel special
>>
>>61241348
yes

but there are also people who actually play jazz and understand what's going on
>>
>>61241795
Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken. About a great many things.
>>
Same reason people pretend to like Kendrick Lamar.
>>
At certain times I think this is the greatest music I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSFSdcGPLM
>>
I honestly don't understand how anyone wouldn't like him. He has done so many styles from rock to hip hop, he has something everyone would enjoy.
>>
>>61241962
He literally sounds like a monkey
>>
>>61241348
Miles Davis is super accessible though
>>
>>61241962
daily reminder miles basically did also kraturock
>>
>>61242017
accessible compared to what?
>>
>>61242107
90% of Jazz.
>>
>>61242121
True, but then he went electric and sounded more far out than any acid rock band.
>>
>>61241348
it's actually pretty painful to hear him on some of those early recording sessions with bird (1946-1947). miles really had no chops at all.
>>
>>61241899
leddit
>>
>>61242180
again, in the grand scheme of things, that's not entirely inaccessible. just because your favorite jazz artist is Kamasi Washington ndoesnt mean the world actually fits your pleb perceptions
>>
>>61242208
I always wondered by Bird brought him on at that crude stage. By the late 50s the chops were there.
>>
>>61242121
Well, the 90% of jazz that /mu/ presents you. The actual jazz world looks way different from that and the number of people doing musically interesting things with jazz is way less than the lounge acts and pop jazz records that make up the bulk of the genre.
That, and Miles made some pretty out there music by most standards.
The Albert Aylers of the world are in the sharp minority of jazz.
>>
>>61242180
which makes him more accessible to fans of psychedelic rock.
>>
>>61242347
>le "let's include random garbage to strengthen the perception of artistry" meme

Why are fans of normie music like Davis and the Beatles so bad at arguing to uniqueness of their special favorites without resorting to comparing them to bottom of the bin literal garbage music made to be window dressing?
>>
>>61242367
Theoretically, but it didn't work that way at the time in terms of popularity. The electric stuff was pretty well ignored by both jazz and rock audiences.
>>
>>61242429
>look at me my taste is so much better than everyone else
>>
>>61242429
>so bad at arguing to uniqueness of their special favorites
I'm not entirely sure I know what this sentence means but you ought to specifiy that you mean 90% of the jazz you've heard if that's what You mean when you say 90% of jazz.
>>
>>61241899
>quoting the guy who got thrown down a pit just after
>>
>>61242429
dude
Miles invented cool jazz, modal jazz, post-rock (in a silent way), fusion, drum and bass and some hiphop

even if he may not have really invented those, he took the best musicians at that time, closed in a room, and said fuck lets do an album in this style that it just started, because that's what we have to do
>>
Shit b8 thread. You're not even trying OP
>>
Who?
>>
dials mavis
>>
>>61242602
>le "I have listened to a small amount of music so this one person I've invested time in must have been the only musical pioneer in history meme"

Beatles fans use this one a lot to compensate for their ignorance, as well. Like pottery.
>>
>>61242446
Eh, Bitches Brew was Miles' first gold record and sold over half a million copies - it was a cross-over hit

The deeper 70's stuff wasn't as succesful, but Miles' electric stuff was really succesful and influential in general.
>>
>>61242291

nigga bitches brew and on the corner are way more inaccessible than any weather report or return to forever albums or solo offshoots of those

idk i guess maybe Herbie Hancock had him beat with Sextant but again most jazz doesn't sound like that
>>
>Bitches Brew was Miles' first gold record and sold over half a million copies - it was a cross-over hit

Interesting. I didn't realize this. I guess it gave him encouragement to keep pressing on in that direction.
>>
>>61241348
his shit is genuinely good and bursting with fucking ideas, listen to Bitches Brew all the way through with a beer or whatever, the songs are just so fucking exciting, popping with hooks here and there and then think about when it came out. Then there's the production, which is sumptuous :)
His other work just offers so much (even if you're not into jazz), the earlier, more mellow ballady stuff is basically just a cut above the rest of the pack.
He pushed boundaries, re-shaped jazz, laid the groundwork for a lot of shit etc.
I'm not a fan of Tutu era, that stuff fucking stinks, too much brown :/
>>
>>61242961
>listen to an album all the way through
>as if this isn't the constant default of how you listen to music

>>>/leddit/
>>
>>61241962
Shit thanks for showing me this. Didn't know there was good footage of the material on the Dark Magus album
>>
>>61242982
meh, fuck off - it's a fair assumption to make that you haven't.
>>
What a shitty thread. People listen to some experimental/or free jazz and some Japanese jazz (the two things this place has a biased boner for experimental and Japanese) and they think Miles is all of a sudden shitty baby stuff.

For the 100000000000th time /mu/ "muh experimentation" is NOT a way to measure quality of music it's only a way to measure how out there the artist is trying to sound (which is ultimately even more shallow because in a hypothetical world where your so called crazy experimental favorites were common they would automatically suck instead for being so accessible.)

Even those who know a lot more about jazz than you'll ever know respect Miles a lot and for a good reason.
>>
>>61243179
there are just as many who see him as regressive, overly commercial, and pretentious, especially in his later years. stop pretending that just because you can identify a certain kind of poser and have rough consensus on your side that all dissent is from teenagers who don't know better.
>>
>>61243201
Judging Miles Davis from stuff he did like doo bop or whatever that gay hip hop album was called and his awful pop covers is inane. When he was at his best, he consistently at the cutting edge of jazz and was making some musically incredible pieces. There were obviously other people there and other people making fantastic he same areas he was, but the quality and scale of what Miles did puts him head and shoulders above most of his contemporaries and people who came after him.
>>
>>61243201
Please do cite.

>Regressive
What? This is not even true. Cool jazz-> Modal jazz->Jazz Fusion-> Experimental jazz. His 80s and onward stuff wasn't great but that's when he stopped pushing himself. He was anything but regressive, even having an irrational dislike of Kind Of Blue by the time he was doing Electric.

>Commercial
You mean accessible, not commercial. Commercial implies him having held back on songwriting for the sake of being poppy (again not factually true read above on regression.)

>Pretentious
This one really doesn't make sense because right before this you accused him of being regressive and commercial.
>>
>arguing on mu
For what purpose?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.