[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does everyone hate nickelback so passionately? One of their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 807x658) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 807x658
why does everyone hate nickelback so passionately?

One of their songs came on the radio the other day and I realized that it wasn't shit, just kind of run-of-the-mill alternative. And while that sucks I guess, it certainly wasn't OMG WORST BAND IN THE WORLD material. Plenty of average bands out there, what made everyone pick this one to hate?
>>
it's more about what they represent
>>
its a reddit meme, like bashing the prequels. when probed further than "COME ONNNNNNN" most wannabee critics don't have anything to say
>>
The reason they aren't very good is not that they provide anything which is immediately offensively poor, it's quite the opposite. Their songs are so excessively safe and formulaic that they are almost muzak rather than music. The word is bland.
>>
>>61218979
Basically this, but also because they jumped onto grunge when grunge was passe. The kids who fell in love with that generic crap had reached that age where new music was shit (because let's face it: grunge fans aren't exactly musical connoisseurs) so they had to prove how authentic and unique *their* commercial bland crap was by bashing more commercial bland crap.
>>
>>61218924
>a reddit meme
Hating Nickelback existed well before Reddit did ceмья.
>>
Because pretty much all of their songs sound identical. Maybe they aren't hateworthy but they're certainly a one trick pony.
>>
Yeah hating them is a meme. They're actually really good, kinda like Jason Aldean
>>
File: nb.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
nb.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>61218904
ITT: we write songs about defecating in our pants in the style of pic related

so there's a caca in my pants
it's round and loggy and it weighs me down
i'm glad it's not a soupy diarrhea shit
because that would weigh me down!

but i'm telling you (you!)
don't ever suck my shitlog like it was a cigar
and don't make me poo (poo!)
because right now i just need to make pissy pants

So tonight!
I'm going to suck on my undies because i missed the toilet and there's crap in my paaaants
crap in my pants
and tonight! (tonight!)
I FARTED AND SHARTED AND STUNK UP MY PANTS

so there's doodoo in my face!
it's crammed in my nose and it makes it harder to breathe
slap the poop off of my butt!

Oh yeah!
yeah yeah yaeh yeah
yeahhhhhhh yeah yeah yeah
slap the poop off my butt todayyyiyyayyaaaaah!!!

*guitar solo*

*butt solo*

LOGGY CACA!
>>
Because a lot of people fucking love them.
>>
>>61220873
How old are you?
>>
>>61221066
>>
>>61221066
>>
>>61218979
This
Nickelback's songwriting is more predictable than a decent amount of top 40 pop
>>
>>61218904
It's hated because people were sick of hearing their songs on the radio thirteen years ago, and then someone came out with that video comparing two songs of theirs which had the same progression of opening to chorus. From there it's just memetics, same as why Justin Bieber and Twilight are hated. There are justifiable reasons to think low of these things, but normies latch onto these sorts of critiques because it's the commonly done thing to do. Individual critical thought doesn't really apply to them.
>>
>>61218904
You can't seriously defend a band that wrote songs like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWmFA8itkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgriaT_qUE
And my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VF6OPzX2g
>>
>>61221151
Adding to this, it seems like a lot of /mu/ is going to jump on the bandwagon, justifying the hatred without acknowledging the fact that a lot of popular music these days is just as formulaic.
>>
There's literally not a single good post-grunge band
Even Chevelle who are considered a better one are ok at best
>>
Is no one gonna talk about kroeger's intolerable meme voice?
>>
>>61221193
Every time he sings he sounds like he is taking a shit
>>
>>61221153

>all from the same album

Yeah we get it, Dark Horse was shit. Now convince me that Silver Side Up was a bad album.
>>
it's probably because it's cheesy and a lot of normies thought it was "heavy music" as kids
>>
>>61221256
they are actually signed to a metal label kek
>>
>>61219005
>shitting on grunge
I'm pretty sure most people here started on genres like grunge. It's what got me looking for more alternative sounds because I wondered what was beyond the cheesy pop scene. I feel sorry for kids these days, they have no alternatives in the top 40, you've got shitty 'rock' produced specifically to chart. They'll never see a time where music like Kate Bush, The Pixies, Aphex Twin, The Avalanches etc. actually got mainstream airtime

People bashed Nickleback because they are lame generic shit. And nothing Nickleback ever produced was anything resembling grunge
>>
>>61221317

their first album was apparently pure grunge
>>
>>61221328
I'm listening to it right now and it's not grunge. It's just alt-rock. The first song even has a solo meaning it isn't grunge

Just because its heavier than their later trash doesn't make it grunge. Wikipedia concisely explains the hallmarks of that genre into a few sentences
>>
The early Nickelback demo's were actually super sick and sounded like Unwound
>>
>>61218979

Yeah this. A friend of mine was shocked that I said I would soonder listen to Nickelback than Aerosmith because at least Nickelback were consistent.

I don't think he could handle the implication that aerosmith were an earlier and more faddy version.
>>
>>61218904
tbqh, they weren't especially bad particularly at the time they came to prominence.

for reference, i bothered to look up other rock hits of 2001 (when they had their first mega-hit). the chart-toppers for the year were:

>Fuel - "Hemorrhage"

>Lifehouse - "Hanging by a Moment"

>Crazy Town - "Butterfly"

>Incubus - "Drive"

>Staind - "It's Been Awhile"

>Sum 41 - "Fat Lip"

>Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal"

>Nickelback - "How You Remind Me"

>Linkin Park - "In the End"

so basically, i agree with you OP. if you look at that lineup of songs, it's unfair to Nickelback to say that they were really any worse than their peers. i'd say Incubus was more respectable as a whole, but "Drive" really blows.

and Nickelback IMO came to be way worse than they were initially, even. around the mid-2000's they really fucking ramped up the suck.

however, in '02 Trapt and Seether debuted. i feel like not too long after you have Three Days Grace coming to the party. so the already-bad genre really got worse along with Nickelback, it's pretty much a directly scaled nosedive in quality; even their way unlistenably cringey later hits weren't really much worse, if worse at all, than the competition.
>>
>>61221191
The first Creed album was pretty good.
>>
>>61221191

what about finger eleven?
>>
Because it's so overproduced and cheesy. Sounds way too clean, simple and straightforward, it's just really grating to many people.

>>61221399
That sounds cool, I might check that out.
>>
>>61221509
>nickelback not obviously worse than most of those
Plus Alien Ant Farm, Linkin Park, Incubus and Sum 41 went away and produced decent albums filled with songs which didn't sound exactly the same while Nickelback never achieved such a thing
>>
>speculation post from reddit, worth a read

I've been waiting so long for another chance to answer why people hate Nickelback. Every time I get ignored everyone just accepts the vague answers. Hating Nickleback is basically a meme that's about 15 years old now and many people forgot where it came from or are too young to remember it and just joined the bandwagon so they think it's serious.

It started from Nickelback signing onto roadrunner records in the late 90s which used to be known only for death and thrash metal. Some metalheads bought their CD's because they trusted the label that seemed to consistently sign on great metal bands and they were pissed that compared to all the other bands from the label, this one really sucked. The other bands that sucked were at least somewhat metal but not this one. Eventually it became a meme in the metal community that Nickleback sucks.

A comic named Brian Posehn who is a well known metalhead, made a Nickelback sucks joke which I can't remember. It has something to do with music being violent because listening to Nickleback made him want to kill someone. That joke became part of a promo for some show on Comedy Central in the early 2000s and it was shown a lot. Eventually a lot of people heard the joke, it was repeated, and simplified back to Nickelback sucks. After that everyone, not just metalheads kept repeating that Nickelback sucks and now there are kids that repeat a meme older than them. It's sort of a look into what will happen to the current popular memes in the future.
>>
>>61221594
>waaaah it's a meme
Stopped reading there

Fucking reddit

Nickelback is shit, I used my ears to get this outcome. Justin Beiber is awful, I used my ears to come to this conclusion. Twilight is mediocre, I used my ears and eyes to gain this insight.

Not hard, not a meme.
>>
>>61221509
Wow, what a revolting list. It's like the cultural zeitgeist moves forward and everyone hates the previous trend until it eventually comes full circle. In the same way 80's synth pop came back in a big way five or so years ago and so-called hypergrunge and nu-metal are back in the spotlight, ironically or not.
>>
>>61221378
>The first song even has a solo meaning it isn't grunge
Smells Like Teen Spirit confirmed for not grunge
>>
>>61221647
Smells Like Teen Spirit is a pop song, no shit
>>
>>61221673

nirvana is a pop band
>>
>>61221694
Nah, they are grunge but they made pop songs also

They were aware they could make bank so they aimed for the plebs with songs that would make them wet themselves
>>
>>61220873
if you were trying to be funny it's not working, this is just maximum cringe.
>>
>>61218904
Because the lead singer is the douchiest person ever, like Fred Durst levels of douche.
>>
>>61221564
that's a solid point. in terms of the whole body of work, Nickelback is a worse band than a lot of their peers. if nothing else, you can tell the difference between a mediocre band honestly trying their best, and a mediocre band really not fucking trying. Nickelback seems to not even attempt to be interesting, pretty much ever.
>>
File: 40.jpg (1010 KB, 2460x3293) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
1010 KB, 2460x3293
me personally i just hate chad because that goofy looking cunt gets to fuck avril and i don't
>>
>>61220873
Thanks for this new pasta
>>
>>61222088
didn't they split?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (155 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
155 KB, 900x900
i still defend this album because its actually good and nickleback shitters don't even know it exists
>>
>>61222263
idk
even if they did the point still stands that he got to fuck her and i probably never will
>>
File: 27z9iyo.jpg (178 KB, 1239x795) Image search: [Google]
27z9iyo.jpg
178 KB, 1239x795
>>61222325
Why even live?
>>
>>61218904
Blandness, and run-of-the-mill formula is more offensive than actually bad or offensive music. At least bad music can illicit a reaction.
>>
>>61221749
it helps he looks like a failed attempt to clone Nic Cage.
>>
>>61221191
Is Silverchair post-grunge? Their first two albums are pretty good. The rest is shit.
>>
File: 1424772577635.jpg (53 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1424772577635.jpg
53 KB, 550x366
>>61221509
Add some Korn and System of a Down in there and that was literally what I listened in high-school
>>
LOOK
>>
>>61222975
AT
>>
>>61223102
THIS
>>
>>61223170
PHOTOGRAPH
>>
>>61218904
I don't. I never jumped on the bandwagon.
>>
>>61220873
Am I the only one who laughed at this?
>>
>>61222938
But best Silverchair album is Diorama

>>61222975
>>61223102
>>61223170
>>61223183
wew lad
>>
>>61221153
Those songs all rule you dumb ass queer. Nickelback make impeccable butt rock.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.