[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes one piece of music better than the other? >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: sallad.png (133 KB, 529x314) Image search: [Google]
sallad.png
133 KB, 529x314
What makes one piece of music better than the other?
>it's just a matter of taste
Okay, but why do you people act like that isn't true all the time and call each other's favourite music shit?

Seriously. tell me what is the criteria for determining the quality of music. I tried reading and watching reviews to get a sense of it, but all they do is just give overwrought descriptions and talk about whatever media shit the artist has gotten into.

I don't even know what you're even supposed to think about when listening to music. Everyone just gives vague answers like, "oh you're just supposed to feel it!"

I've taken classes in art and literature before, and we can always use words to describe and analyze what makes a book or painting good, but for music no one knows anything. How am I supposed to listen to and judge music?
>>
>>61203346
If you approach art as: Every artist is trying to evoke something in their audience. Then look to evaluate what methods they use, is it consistent with theme? Does the melody and time sig. add to the feeling and message the artist is trying to create? If not, why?
>>
>>61203415
To expand upon experimental music, are they achieving something original? Does it surprise and excite you?
>>
10/10 OP btw
>>
>>61203346

>Seriously. tell me what is the criteria for determining the quality of music.

How much you like it you putz
>>
>le hurr durr everything can be art it's just a matter of taste

No.

Taste makes you like or not like something.

Taste doesn't make anything be art.

Art implies a mastery over the technique. An advanced use of the resources at hand.

The same way you can distinguish a poorly drawn picture by a kid from a Picasso you can distinguish a poor track from a good one.

Kids now no proportions, no theory of colour, no perspective, no shadowing, no shit. They just know their crayons.

Same happens for "artists" who know no shit but their auto-tune.
>>
>>61203346
atm music is following the nietzsche way of liking things based on your feelings

overall majority of us really can't ever express how things feel to us. If you wanna dedicate your life on fixing that for us go right ahead

until then imma just mumble and just I like what I like fuck off
>>
>>61203346
It's kind of hard to explain but I've found that the music I like the most is stuff that makes me say "Shit, why didn't I think of that?"

In other words, to me art is best when the artist presents a new or interesting angle on something that I've given no thought to or all the thought in the world. This applies instrumentally, lyrically, visually, etc. Which is why stuff like "Hello from the other side" doesn't invoke anything in me because the death/afterlife trope has been beaten to a pulp and Adele doesn't really do anything interesting with it.
>>
File: IMG_20151222_133925.jpg (543 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151222_133925.jpg
543 KB, 1440x2560
>>61203713
Art is the expression or application of human creativity in anyway.

This means that I could beatbox into a Vocaroo and it would still be art; I'm expressing or applying my creativity.

Whether it's good art is up to you.
>>
File: stylin2.gif (1 MB, 488x144) Image search: [Google]
stylin2.gif
1 MB, 488x144
>>61203834
>>61203713
arguing over definitions is pointless.

>>61203346
>What makes one piece of music better than the other?
Depends on what qualities the music posses. Do the artist display a technical mastery over their instruments? Are the melodies pleasing? Do the lyric make good use of poetic devices? It really depends on what values the listener decides to hold the music to.

In the end, critiques of art are extremely subjective because being "right" or "wrong" about musical qualities totally depend on what values you judge the music by. For example, If you choose to judge music by how cleanly engineered it is, noise rock and experimental rap groups like clipping. and death grips would be awful. Conversely, if you judge the music by how interesting the tone of the piece is those groups would be great.

It all depends on what merits you look for art.

>Okay, but why do you people act like that isn't true all the time and call each other's favourite music shit?
4chan comes with a myriad of shitposters. This website allows you to say anything you want as longs as it pertains to the topic of the selected board. Trolls naturally get drawn to here because this is one of the few places on the internet where they can freely talk out of their ass.

Hope this helped OP
>>
>>61203346
only one question to that: does it go on only about butts & anacondas?
>>
>step 1 (optional)
Research what the artist tried to convey with the piece
>step 2
Analyze the piece in terms of what the artist used to convey an emotion/idea/the list goes on
>step 3
Did he successfully convey the emotion/idea/the list goes on?
>step 4
Give out your evaluation
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.