[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>talking to brother about music >he's trying to tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 1448403898573.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
1448403898573.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>talking to brother about music
>he's trying to tell me that pop music is the best music because it appeals to the most people
>I tell him it doesn't take much talent to make music that appeals to a lot of people
>I try to explain to him that, like with any art form, people who are actually passionate about music tend to enjoy the "weirder" (for lack of a better word) stuff because it is much more interesting and exciting to us
>he says he doesn't see the point in weird music if only a small portion of people like it
>I tell him that a lot of weird music is actually very acclaimed by critics and music fans, just not as widely as bands like, Queen or Metallica or something
>he says "whatever, you're just a hipster"
>mfw

how do I deal with my pleb brother, /mu/?
>>
grow up
>>
it starts with a single pubic hair
>>
>>61201986
>>61201970

I'm 21
>>
>muh brother doesn't enjoy muh quirky and wacky mallgothcore what a pleb i bet he doesn't even own a spork XD
Kill yourself
>>
Tie him down and force him to listen to Death Grips, that'll teach him
>>
>>61202004
No
>>
>>61202014
Well I tried to help
>>
Make him listen to American Idiot.
>>
>>61202004

he actually likes Death Grips but only The Money Store :/
>>
>>61202032
Tell him that he has absolute shit taste
>>
>>61201992
>im 21

Yeah, grow up
>>
>>61201945
Basically say this.

"If it appeals to a lot of people it's because it's accessible and not very not very challenging for people to listen to. Most people aren't really into music so they looks for something that mindlessly catchy or for background noise while they're going about they're day. While yes there is pop music worth listening to, most dedicated music fans tend to go outside that box and listen to more challenging, creative stuff because it tends to be more well thought out and well written."

If he doesn't understand after that he's a lost cause
>>
>>61201945
>>I tell him it doesn't take much talent to make music that appeals to a lot of people
is that so?
>>
>>61202088

well...yeah

have you heard the average pop music they play on regular radio?
>>
>>61202481
most musicians barely shit out music that appeals to a handful of people. can you imagine the insight and skill that must go in to expertly crafting a piece of music that appeals to millions?
>>
>>61202088
doesn't take talent, takes connections
>>
>>61202558

yeah, Justin Bieber's music takes so much skill and insight and is so expertly crafted.
>>
>>61202598
correct i'm glad you understand
>>
>>61202004
ugh
>>
>>61201945
as long as your not one of those fucking idiots that dismisses music as shit simply because its popular then id say just tell him to fuck off

but if you are one of those people then get the fuck off my board you fucking drone
>>
>>61201945
>people who are actually passionate about music tend to enjoy the "weirder" (for lack of a better word) stuff because it is much more interesting and exciting to us

As much as I enjoy being a mallgoth myself, I don't think it indicates your passion for music

A lot of classically trained people tend to listen to 'poppy' stuff (along with classical music), and they pay more attention to the songwriting and music theory than the things around it.

I don't think that enduring a 10-hour harsh-noise/drone compilation has any more values than appreciating a good Beatles song.
>>
>Pop music needs expert musical craftsmanship in order to appeal to millions

Yes, to be an expert mass manipulator you'll need:

1. A familiar beat with the drum kit
2. A melody easy to remember
3. Simplistic armony line (major, minor and a few variations)
4. Lots of marketing money
>>
>>61202850
>I don't think that enduring a 10-hour harsh-noise/drone compilation has any more values than appreciating a good Beatles song.

You're right, it's just almost the same. The main difference is that you'll need a lot of patience to understand noise (or any other genre you're not familiar with), meanwhile a Beatles song is easy to understand (never a bad thing).
>>
>>61202901
You could probably mix the top 10 pop songs out today into a mashup with only bpm shifting, and barely any, at that, and have a cohesive, coherent stream of audio.
Because I'm fairly certain it's all the same shit.
>>
File: o-MAX-MARTIN-facebook.jpg (334 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-MAX-MARTIN-facebook.jpg
334 KB, 2000x1000
>>61202996
>>
>>61202088
It does take skills, but not musical ones, more like ones related to advertisement.

But I agree, not everyone can get up one day and become the next Michael Jackson.

>>61202996
There are plenty of mashups like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOHYCZLmbyc

And you're right, the reason these videos sound so good (meaning that the songs work well together) is that the melody doesn't have much variation (if at all).
>>
>>61201945
Tell him p4k is hiring
>>
>>61201945
call him uncultured

>>61203108
#rekt
>>
Fka twigs / Julia Hotler / Johanna newsom . Ariel pink . Clarence clarity.
>>
>>61201970
and blow away
>>
>>61202024
But the argument was against shitty pop music.
>>
>>61201945
why even bother talking to normies? there will always be this divide. confided into their own walls they built for themselves that they will never get to look over and beyond
>>
what the fuck is a mallgoth?
>>
>>61201945
>doesn't take much talent to make music that appeals to a lot of people

this is a bit of a blanket statement op, I'd add that it takes talent to write music that appeals to a lot of people and also has longevity.

Here's something to think about, who do you think will be one of the more widely remembered and revered artists of the last decade or so? I think Adele definitely (even though personally I don't listen to her music).
>>
File: fedora.png (432 KB, 416x620) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
432 KB, 416x620
Just kill him, faggot, don't be a pussy.
>>
>>61201970
>if you're critical of adults who refuse to engage with art you need to grow up
>not the other way around
>>
>>61204701

>who do you think will be one of the more widely remembered and revered artists of the last decade or so? I think Adele definitely

AHAHAAAHAHAAHAAHHAAHAHAAAHAAHAAAHAHAAHHAHAAHAAHAAAAHHAHAAH
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.