[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are your music moron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
You are your music moron
>>
>>61191924
I wish people could separate people from the music more. Spoilers Kendrick probably isn't the character from GKMC.
>>
>>61192393
>I wish people could separate people from the music more
Incorrect way to view art
>>
>>61192425
It depends on the artist.
>>
he's right. fantano reviews the personality of the artist more than the music.
>>
do rappers care about conde nast?
>>
>>61192425
you sound like a faggot
>>
I hope he gives them enough money so that they never review anyone again.
>>
>>61192425

>incorrect way to view art

lol
>>
>>61192425

fucking clueless
>>
why did lupe fiasco fall off so hard after his first LP.
>>
White people do not deserve the privilege of reviewing black music
>>
>>61193653
>The Cool was a modern day classic
>LASERS, while considered his worst album, had a few radio hits
>Tetsuo & Youth was critically acclaimed, and will probably end up on a bunch of year-end lists

Define "fall off".
>>
>>61192498
He's talking about pitchfork.
>>
>>61192425
hurr door what is death of the author
>>
>>61191924
No man, people is not their art. There are countless artists where what they transmit with their art is just a little part of them. And in a lot of cases, the only good part.
>>
He's right pitchfork is shit. Every review I read by them sounds like it's trying harder to sound witty and "hip" than actually giving an analysis of the music. "Such and such song, which has a bass line reminiscent of fifty eggs being beheaded in King Arthur's court, is about sex"
>>
>>61193903
holy fuck this, this is why 90% pitchfork reviews are absolute trash, they never tell you why its good they just write random shit trying to sound deep
>>
> Go to pitchfork to check it out
> "This year in EDM"
> Oh sweet I kinda want to get into EDM lets check that shit out
> Its some SJW propaganda about intersectionality and gay niggers with some youtube videos thrown in between paragraphs
Where's the music at
>>
>>61192425
If a piece of music can't stand on its own, then it's most likely shit.
>>
He called Obama a terrorist. And he said more anti-obama shit while performing an inauguration party in 2012. He got blackballed for his anti establishment views
>>
>>61191924
He's right you pleb, >>61192393 this
>>
>>61194155
Lmao he sounds like a /pol/c u c k.
>>
>>61194232
He's right though
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/obama-drone-war-isis-recruitment-tool-air-force-whistleblowers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsWAJF_1g4
>>
>>61193981
yeah, i thought they were going to provide some sort of alternative to the massive industry push that there end of year list has become
>>
>>61192425
This only ever applies to hiphop though.
>>
>>61192425

You are actually wrong

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intentional-fallacy
>>
File: 1442447655409.jpg (76 KB, 624x479) Image search: [Google]
1442447655409.jpg
76 KB, 624x479
>>61192425
>Incorrect way to view art
>>
>>61194753
It actually can apply to whatever popular music people are taking too seriously at the time.
>>
>>61194335
based Noam
>>
>>61194335
>the guardian
Discarded
Probably not right
>>
>>61193814
there's a difference?
>>
>>61193653
>F&L
>The Cool
>T&Y

He went insane for a few years w/ political and social garbage clouding his mind but he got back on track this year and I'm glad.
>>
>>61194232
When neo-Nazis and rappers agree that someone is a terrorist, they just might be right
>>
>>61196117
Or the word "terrorist" has no meaning anymore.
>>
>>61195011
How is this even relevant? Music is still tied to the artist and their experiences. Intention and impact are not orthogonal concepts.
>>
>>61196144
Right, as soon as words are used in a way you don't like, they're meaningless.
>>
>You are your music moron
No he's not his music. He could be the worst person to ever walk on Earth and still make amazing music.
STop forcing this meme point of view about music being 'deep' or whatever the fuck. You guys sound like fools when doing it.
>>
>>61191924
>le intelligunt black man xD
>your
lol niggers are literally a walking joke
>>
New jewish revised cracked.com>tumblr> pitchfork ever
Still i lost a lot of respect for lupe thanks to that shitty rendition of float on by modest mouse.
>>
>your
man i just lost mad respect for lupe
he's not wrong though, i don't read pitchfork all that often but i genuinely can't remember the last time i saw a pitchfork review that was actually about the music
if the review sites that people drone can't separate art from the artist then how are consumers supposed to know that you're supposed to do that
>>
he should be grateful pitchfork mention him Or I wouldn't even know he still made shitty music.
>>
>>61193833
>death of the author

actually yeah why don't you define that for me because I get the impression you think it means "the author doesn't matter" as opposed to "authorial intent isn't decisive."

I actually agree with >>61192425

It makes no sense to try to treat an album or a book like a timeless artifact stuck out of reality itself by the hand of God. All art exists in a context, and that context informs the meaning of the art. Art is an act of contextualization.

Death of the author means the author doesn't control the art. The author doesn't get to say "judge my art on its merits while turning a blind eye to its context." I'm not obligated to do that shit, and I won't. I won't because the context enriches the art.

And if Lupe Fiasco is a wack-ass washed-up hipster hop Cool Kids-ass rapper with no street credibility, then that's going to play into my perception of the album. So are my experiences and my feelings and probably even this conversation.

That's the death of the author for ya.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.