[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get better at criticizing music? I wanna be able to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: homers_brain-93048343171.gif (63 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
homers_brain-93048343171.gif
63 KB, 600x450
How do I get better at criticizing music? I wanna be able to say more than; "Oh ya I like the lyrics and the uh.. riffs.."
>>
>>61177645
just do what anthony does and copy shit from http://www.thesaurus.com/
>>
Use imagery to better describe what you feel when you listen to something.
>>
Don't

Just enjoy the music for what it is
>>
Convey the emotions that were expressed while reviewing the product. Go in depth, verbalize, describe, engulf yourself into the music. Then answer whether you enjoy the cloud of wizardry that you've put yourself in, or scream as if you were in flames. Anything goes, ese.
>>
Keep a music journal
>>
>>61177645
You need the have a wide knowledge of music. The bigger your scope the more detailed of an analysis you can make
>>
>>61177645
go to university and learn about music. The more you know, the more you can criticize.
>>
>>61177713
(Not true by the way)
>>
when you're listening to music, try to isolate why exactly you like or dislike it, the best way to do this is by starting with individual moments or songs that you particularly like or dislike. if a specific moment stands out to you and you're like "woah that was really good" or "woah that was really shit", ask yourself why you thought that, and see if you can articulate why you thought that. if you can't then maybe you need a better vocabulary, reading can help with that
the most important thing is that even if your opinion is entirely subjective and based on your own emotions and nothing else, you have to convince yourself that you know what you're talking about and you're an expert on the topic. if you sound like you know what you're talking about, most people will think that you do know what you're talking about, regardless of whether you actually do or not
people who don't understand this concept (see >>61177685, >>61177713) are the people who believe that it must be some kind of formal education, which is completely bogus, you don't need that at all
and if you find that for whatever reason you're just not capable then just go with this guy >>61177673

have fun
>>
>>61177645
learn theory

or you can take the easy route and use buzzwords to fool a bunch of normies

learn theory or don't bother at all
>>
>>61178750
this tbqh
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.