[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody here still like grunge? I'm the house engineer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_2012.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2012.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Does anybody here still like grunge? I'm the house engineer at a prominent seattle studio. We did pretty much everything but nirvanna, I and can't sleep. AMA
>>
aoty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpEteREbtY
>>
>>61177113
I wish
Studio is London Bridge Studio
>>
>>61177098
How do you remember what all those knobs do?
Do you really need that many?
>>
>>61177383
>remember how?
They don't do much, easy to remember.
>need that many?
Sorta.
>>
>>61177098
Am I insane for thinking a grunge revival is coming?
>>
>>61177098
How does it feel like to have been part of the movement that finally killed off hair metal?
Also Nirvana suck balls.
>>
>>61177383
It's easy if you just think about the knobs as a single strip repeated multiple times.
>>
>>61177098
What is your favourite outboard compressor?
>>
>>61177434
I'm too young for that, but I love working here and the history tied to this building and this board
>>
>>61177456
Retro sta level
>>
>>61177460
What a pity, I say your studio did a good job at finally getting rid of a godawful genre though.
>>
>>61177098
>Does anybody here still like grunge?

I fucking hope not, that would be really embarrassing for the music board.
>>
>>61177467
Nice! Looks retro for sure.

Since you do a lot of grunge, what are your go-to mics for aggro male vocals? Condenser or dynamic?
>>
Who was the best producer of the grunge era and why was it Jack Endino?

But seriously there was a Maximum Rock and Roll issue from the late 80s with Sub Pop on the cover that had agreat interview with him where he talked at length about how he got so much sound recording with 4 and 8 tracks. Have no idea where you could find it, but you'd dig reading it I guarantee
>>
>>61177514
SM-7 is still best for rock vocals, but I'm spoiled, and love our Sound Elux 251 for most things. We also have a wonder audio U67 clone that is sexy as fuck.
>>
>>61177529
This got even more fun cause Jack is a close friend despite me being a complete noob. Jack is a badass, and a total sweetheart. However, he is the worst kayaker known to man.
>>
>>61177488
except it was Butch Vig's nice (too nice, imo) production on Nevermind that made grunge palatable and radio freindly enough to knock Michael Jackson out of the #1 spot and convince kids everywhere to throw away their hairspray and spandex and buy garage jackets and flannels
>>
>>61177543
> the worst kayaker known to man.
quit teasing and tell the fuckin story already! I know you have one!

I heard him on a NPR station a few years ago - I think he was at Electric Eel (could be wrong) demonstrating the difference in analog and digital recordings - he sounded really cool and did a great job, you could really hear the difference in his examples
>>
>>61177586
There isn't a story besides that I go kayaking with my boss once a month, and the one tie we took Jack he was super slow and we kept having to wait up for him. I know you want more, but that's pretty much it. Just a cute, normal, boring story.
>>
>>61177630
I miss sea kayaking, I grew up doing that. Kayaking and camping around the san juans is a 10/10 vacation don't care who you are

I've never been white water kayaking though.
>>
>>61177693
agreed
>>
I haven't lived in WA for 4 years now (and lived out on the peninsula before that, rarely making it to Seattle for shows) - whats going on in seattle now?

Who are the hot local bands? anybody interesting recording at your studio? Any good small venues regularly putting on good shows? (the last I was at was the Josphenine)
>>
>>61177383
i don't own a console but it always sort of the same thing :

filters : hipass, lopass
eq : hishelf, loshelf, bandcut, q parameters (sharpness)
and then volume knob, panning, mute, solo etc

repeat 40 times and you're there
>>
how did you get this impossibly cool job
>>
>>61177801
I second this question
>>
>>61177801
>>61177814
you ever given a bj on a two person kayak?

maybe you should learn...
>>
>>61177801
third
>>
>>61177098
What's it like engineering sessions there? Is it intense, laid back or whatever? How long have you been doing it?
>>
>>61177801
I worked hard, and lucked into it. That's the only answer. You meet people, and hope they like you and then once they kind of do you just work crazy ridiculously hard. It's a combination of total luck, and ambition.
>>
>>61177879
3 years, and it can be laid back, and sometime ridiculously crazy. It's the northwest, and PNW guys are usually much chiller than the rest, but occasionally we get the LA guys in her, and we have to step up cause they are really demanding. New York guys seem demanding, but mostly they just chill, but loud. We get along well with them.
>>
Yeah grunge is rad
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.