[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have any recommendations for getting into Country/Americana?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 51ExEUunrML.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51ExEUunrML.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
Does anyone here have any recommendations for getting into Country/Americana? I really am not sure where to start. I have bunch of J.J. Cale and that album "Raising Sand" by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

Is that Jason Aldean album actually good, or just a really bad meme?
>>
it's actually not bad.

not sure why it's such a big meme here.
>>
>>61173432
Are you being facetious?
>>
>>61173348
>Does anyone here have any recommendations for getting into Country/Americana?
Don't.
>>
>>61174301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUbLv4ThOo
>>
>>61173432
are you being fecal?
>>
>>61174301
This album is the best entry point imo
>>
>>61173348
It's a great album, don't listen to the pretentious ironic bearded hipsters on mu, they just don't like it because it isn't 'underground'
>>
>>61173348
So i after seeing the memes for a while now i actually checked this album out. Why is it a meme? It's actually really good, he's a great musician and i like the subtlety and attention to detail. Might have to investigate more country after this. Anyone know any similar albums?
>>
>>61173348
I'm actually digging this a lot thanks anon
>>
>>61173348
I saw him live along with Brad Paisley. One of the most defining voices of our generation. Love this album
>>
There's a lot of great Americana. First, I would recommend Uncle Tupelo. Jeff Tweedy who ended up forming Wilco and Jay Farrarr from Son Volt(who you should also check out) are in it.
Other things I would recommend: Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams), Lucinda Williams and especially Steven Earle if you really liked J.J. Cale.
>>
I can't tell if people are serious in this thread or not.

If I check out the album will the joke be on me?
>>
Start out with old school country, classic namedrop stuff like Cash, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Townes Van Zandt, etc... Even though this is obvious, well known stuff, it's good stuff for a reason.

Then, and you have to be careful, but you can move into alternative country after listening to the classic guys. Don't bother with mainstream shit besides people like Chris Stapleton and maybe a bit of Zac Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAThXFOy2c

Also, you can move into gothic country type stuff like Sons of Perdition, but again, some of this stuff is just dumb. Be picky, and don't try to "get" something you find bad. Because it might just be bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aZvbPHg00M
>>
>>61174387
Its not a bad album sure, but it brings literally nothing new to the table. Its like a copy of a copy of a copy etc... Its so formulaic that its laughable, hence the memes.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBq1Jkm7YU
>>
Jason Aldean is actually in my top 20 albums of the year. Shit is chill.
>>
Uncle Tupelo
Wilco
Old 97s
Drive By Truckers
Old Crow Medicine Show
Avett Brothers
Those all were my jumping off point as non-country/Americana fa
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.