[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is going to become a modern classic wheather you like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
This album is going to become a modern classic wheather you like it or not

How does that make you feel?
>>
havent listened to it and never will
>>
stopped listening to rap after Man on the Moon.
>>
>>61155028
>wheather
>>
>>61155028
indifferent
>>
File: a4101607564_10.jpg (579 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a4101607564_10.jpg
579 KB, 1200x1200
This album is going to become a modern classic wheather you like it or not How does that make you feel?
>>
>>61155084
very happy
>>
I don't like the beatles
>>
>>61155028
I'd rather that TPAB becomes a "classic" than other recent meme albums like the last 2 Swans records.

Having said that, things like "this dick ain't free" aren't going to hold up in 5 years time, let alone 20.
>>
>>61155028
This album will never be a classic.

No one outside /mu/ has even heard of it.

I've never heard anyone mention this album, and I know a lot of musicians and open minded hip-hop connoisseurs (good hip hop though)
>>
i listened to this album and i thought it was okay? can someone explain what makes it so great?

i'm not really a fan of hip hop but i can still usually find the objective truths
>>
>>61155516
>No one outside /mu/ has even heard of it.
Are you fucking serious
>>
File: 1450535179809.jpg (16 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
1450535179809.jpg
16 KB, 279x304
>>61155543
Trelled hard
>>
stfu whiteboy
>>
>>61155028
Eh, the popular music canon is irreparably fucked anyway, and TPAB is by no means a bad album. It's worthy of the mainstream canon, but only because, but only because so much of the mainstream canon falls into the realms of 'Pretty good, nothing special.'
>>
>>61155028
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeaAvNj1DHA
no this is gonna be a classic
>>
>>61155613
>tfw you forget to put your attention whore bumper sticker on
sorry guys I really dropped the ball on this one.
>>
it's well deserved
>>
>>61155028
Indifferent.
>>
>>61155028
still have not listened to it. never will
>>
>>61155543
pssht, eazy... another one baited.
heh...nothing personnel kid
>>
File: tetsuoandyouth.jpg (195 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
tetsuoandyouth.jpg
195 KB, 1425x1425
This one is easily better though.
>>
>>61155613
agreed desu
>>
I think that people are right that this album gets more critical attention than it deserves because of the recent black lives matter movements and the like, but that really isn't what the album is about.

This anon hit it right on the dot about the lyrical content of the album:
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S61067896#p61069410

It's not about blaming white people, many of the songs instead blame the black community for its own shortcomings.

Mortal Men is still a retarded track, fuck 2pac and that cringey interview though.
>>
>>61157198
The only part I diskliked on the album was the 2pac interview, people were orgasming at that part but i thought it was a lazy addition.
>>
>>61155028
GKMC is going to be the "Illmatic" of this generation, and MBDTF is going to be the "Born to Die" of this generation. TPAB is probably going to be "All Eyez on Me".
>>
>>61157235
>"Born to Die"

...Ready to Die?
>>
>>61157243
yeah my mistake
>>
>>61157235
explain this
>>
>>61157198
fantastic analysis, goddamn

i really do like the album, it's such a shame that it's considered to be a ''hot'' topic album because of Black Lives Matter and such, it takes the timelessness of it
>>
>>61157235
GKMC is more like Ready to Die as an incredibly cinematic album

MBDTF is the Aquemini/Stankonia due to the genre breaking production

TPAB is The Low End Theory but more mainstream/accessible
>>
>>61157243
>>61157259
You were right the first time
>>
>>61157198
yeah I agree on that post.It was kendrick blaming his own ppl for this mess. but sadly that went over 90% of peoples heads
>>
>>61157316
Low End Theory is more accessible imo
>>
>>61157198
the beauty of the album is that it has two meanings.

the one that you are showing and the one other people are orgasming over. The whole album is exemplified in the Blacker the Berry, where he explicitly discusses the racial tensions between whites and blacks and the institutional racism blacks are faced with. But then on the other hand he flips the script entirely. Speaking how blacks should also be held responsible. How there is racism WITHIN the black community. How self respect is key and pitting each other against one another does not help their cause.

besides the great lyricism the greatness of the album lies in its double meanings. and multi layered critiques of the United States as a whole as well as the black community.
>>
>>61155028
2015 is the year hip-hop died
>>
>>61155028
Not angry, just disappointed. Music had such potential, where did it all go so wrong?
>>
I don't think so, it has an immediacy and critical acclaim that will make it talked about for a while, but it's no MBDTF. In the end it's an album in constant conflict with itself, trying to be both very "black" and at the same time pretty pretentious. It tries to do hip-hop under jazz's aesthetic and message, mixing in spoken word lyrical traditions all into i giant cake of "black music" but the subtle nuances of the individual ingredients get lost in the struggle for flavor dominance in the batter.
It has its moments of genius, but the overall picture is jumbled and out of focus. It's less Cosmogramma and more of a You're Dead!.

Just my shitty opinion.
>>
>>61157551

My favorite part was how a lot of people connect to "Alright", but then those people fail to see the irony when Kendrick rebukes that attitude with the storyline of "How much a dollar cost".
>>
File: tommyblackkendricklamar.jpg (102 KB, 580x345) Image search: [Google]
tommyblackkendricklamar.jpg
102 KB, 580x345
>>61155028
Proud to be a swede and from the same town as Tommy Black. Making the best beats since the G-funk era. Couldn't care less about Kendrick though.
>>
>>61157929
Hiphop has been dead since 1997 you pleb.
>>
>>61155534
because it's "great" in the realm of poptimism

p4k and its drones have made a serious shift to top 40 pop music and to them this is the pinnacle of experimental music
>>
Mainstream hip hop is going to be a joke in 10-20 years just like 80s pop has become a big joke. Shit like Kanye West is what obnoxious white drunk people will ironically sing at Karaoke bars and people will laugh at taste makers like Pitchfork and the dumb ironic hipsters that follow them.

TPAB isn't a great album but it might escape this decade with a bit of dignity.
>>
>>61158852
>just like 80s pop has become a big joke

mfw I genuinely like 80's mainstream synth pop.
>>
>>61158852
>obnoxious white drunk people

It's like you can't even shit on rap without Freudian-slipping comments on race into your criticisms.
>>
I love it, its a great album in all aspects... I personally don't know much about rap, but from a rock fans perspective, I really do love it
>>
File: Fishbait.jpg (30 KB, 1023x782) Image search: [Google]
Fishbait.jpg
30 KB, 1023x782
>>61155543
"Simply when you know how"
>>
File: barter 6.jpg (52 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
barter 6.jpg
52 KB, 319x319
Wrong album, bud
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.