[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sand/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 19
let's talk about post-rock. what have yall been listening to recently? anything new worth checking out?
Just had an experience listening to this album while taking a walk this morning. Felt good man.
>That deep bass line at the end of Djed
>>
File: Cover.jpg (364 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
364 KB, 1000x1000
>>61136733

I've been a lot into early post-rock recently. Have you listened to this one yet? It's pretty gud.
>>
>>61136805
haven't heard it yet but i'll check it out, need to find more good early post-rock
>>
I saw a solo post-rock act called The Eye Of Time in a squat a few weeks ago.
Really apocalyptic, industrial-influenced first wave-esque kinda stuff. Really affected me, I was crying and shit.
Look it up!
>>
File: postrock.png (1 MB, 680x750) Image search: [Google]
postrock.png
1 MB, 680x750
hey yall i've been trying to get into post-rock more, here's my favorites so far. can i get some recs/tell me im a piece of shit/etc
really liked tortoise and DI the most, but some good shit like TWDY would be good
>>
File: tnt.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tnt.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
Most people say Tortoise after TNT is not worth looking for, I disagree. Their whole discog is pretty good (the most average probably being All Around You).
>>
>>61136968
Yeh, I like Standards, but you know it's not nearly as ambitious as the stuff on TNT. Nor as lush. Jetty on psilocybin is a treat.
>>
Now Playing:
ıllıllı [The Ronettes - Be My Baby (1963)] ıllıllı

Tortoise have far more thing in common with Krautrock like Neu and Can than any other Post Rock bands though.

>>61136733
The xylophones on Djed are the best moment from the album, imo
>>
File: isotope.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
isotope.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>61136733
I hate to be that guy, but I don't think post-rock is specific enough as a descriptor.
Do you want rock with experimental dub production?
Do you want rock with vast ambient spaces or washes?
Do you want orchestral crescendocore?
Do you want rock with lots of electronic sounds that's chopped up in post-production?
Do you want languid improvisational jazz using rock instruments and sound?

I recognize that you have to make a distinction for amorphous yet influential sounds of bands like Slint, Tortoise or Talk Talk. But to me it just seems like a continuation of prog rock with less silliness and self indulgence (though not completely missing).

Anyway, my favorite Tortoise related album is Utonian Automatic by Isotope 217. It's John Herndon, Dan Bitney and Jeff Parker from Tortoise with others doing some more kozmigroov jazz-funk related stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egdo-ozqFJM
>>
>>61137173
This is what I mean. When you mention post rock now, a lot of people think you only mean GY!BE and EITS crescendocore.

BTW, when xylophones are larger and amplified they're called vibraphones.
>>
>>61137259
>This is what I mean. When you mention post rock now, a lot of people think you only mean GY!BE and EITS crescendocore.
Yes, because that's when the genre actually started instead of being a bunch of experimental rock artists from the late-80s/early-90s being labeled by a single umbrella term

>BTW, when xylophones are larger and amplified they're called vibraphones.
From what I remember, they sounded like xylophones, but whatever.
>>
>>61137174
Post Rock had more things with Krautrock, Dream Pop, and Experimental Rock than with Progressive Rock. Only King Crimson could be considered to be a Progressive Rock influence to Post Rock, and even those Post Rock bands are not many.
>>
>>61137173
>>61137288
>>61137308
Someone needs to make a "shut the fuck up Avant Math" image like there was for The Tourist
>>
>>61137308
I'd say that there is at least a progressive or math rock element present in an existent amount (albeit small altogether) in a lot of post rock, MNLWND being a prime example (fuckin Glass Museum)
>>
>its Avant Math-God post-rock thread
evacuate this shit
>>
>>61137324
Do it

>>61137384
That's more of an exception than a rule
>>
see if i start a thread again jesus christ
>>
>>61136904
can i at least get some recs
>>
I've been listening to Long Fin Killie's Houdini a lot lately and am surprised it doesn't get more recognition. The instrumentation is really cool, the drumming has really nice use of jazzy cymbals and the guitars are all over the place. Very atmospheric and groovy.
>>
>>61136805
I love this one, a few of the tracks around the middle are questionable but Eyes & Smiles is one of my favorite songs.
>that break when the horns all come in at once
>>
>>61137572
found a few of their EPs in a box of shit I got from a family friend, put one of them on and was blown away(this was like 6 years ago). not what I expected at all, but i'm glad i kept them. killer band
>>
>>61137526
If you liked TWDY check out Caspian and God Is An Astronaut, they're my two favorite 3rd-wavers. I would warn you though that a lot of stuff from this style of post-rock gets very samey, and you'll get joaned here if you don't know some 1st and 2nd wave essentials too.
>>
What's some post-rock that's rooted in shoegaze? I know a lot of 3rd wave stuff breaks into shoegaze with the crescendos but I want something that fully integrates it into the sound.
Southpacific are alright but I was wondering if there were others.
>>
>>61137526
Honestly, there's many on your list that I haven't heard and a few others didn't impress me very much. But if you enjoyed Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, I recommend Mark Hollis' solo album: more sparse and quiet, wilder melodically and structurally, horns and piano instead of electric guitar, his voice is a bit more up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGRI2o191Cc
>>
File: a2820430965_16[1].jpg (98 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a2820430965_16[1].jpg
98 KB, 700x700
>>61136805
Try pic related if you liked Hex and Laughing Stock. Also, Piano Magic, Fridge and Mice Parade
>>
>>61136866
thanks, this is sweet.

http://theeyeoftime.bandcamp.com/

where you live anon?
>>
>>61137714
This guy knows what's up. Especially Fridge. I've been meaning to do a deeper dive into Kieran's jazz stuff. Have you heard them? Which ones are good?
>>
File: ahmad.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ahmad.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
Finally got my head together for some recs. A bit on the jazz/electronic side.

Guillermo Scott Herren (Prefuse 73) early on made some great post-rock stuff under different names:
Savath + Savalas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUetfxp8DFQ
Ahmad Szabo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThfmvF_FXdA
(the Luck Has a Million Meanings album is better, but I couldn't find it on Youtube)

The Sea and Cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRnxtGYk1E
Sam Prekop (singer from S+C with different musicians)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuNIE0C_Ec

Critters Buggin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fd9PAZwVA

Nomo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZHKa288VBY
>>
>>61137174
>I don't think post-rock is specific enough as a descriptor
I'm always trying to get this point across as well. When most people think "post-rock" they think all the popular bands in the "genre"... EITS, GYBE, etc., etc.
It's really just a blanket term for anything experimental with rock instruments which doesn't fit into any other category... kind of like "alt rock" back in the day".
Anyways, here are some of my lesser known favorites:
Cerberus Shoal - Mr. Boy Dog
Grails - (everything they've ever done for the most part)
Labradford - Fixed = Context
Rachel's - Selenography
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
The Drift - Noumena
>>
>>61137714

Listening to it right now. Liking it so far.
>>
If you like twinkly-guitar post rock, definitely check out Tristeza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmlsCVonBI
>>
>>61137259
Vibraphones have a sustain pedal.
>>
these were the last couple post-rock albums i've been listening to. missing one is the sigur ros one with the baby angel thing on it.
>>
>>61140347
forgot the pic
>>
>>61140368
I like how pretty much every single album on your list sounds nothing like the rest but you can still just label them "post-rock"
>>
>>61140459
yeah, it's pretty interesting.
>>
File: SAVE.jpg (35 KB, 383x364) Image search: [Google]
SAVE.jpg
35 KB, 383x364
>band has probably one post-rock song in their entire discography
>It is possibly one of the best things they've ever done and they will never do anything like this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuOzNeHw5I
It is also pretty much the perfect introductory song to post-rock.
>>
>>61140368
He has Left Us feels like it's part of my soul at this point
>>
>>61136904
Macha - Macha
'O'Rang - Herd of Instinct
Cul de Sac - China Gate
bugskull - phantasies and senseitions

These are my favorites of early post rock; tell me what you think
>>
>>61140526
[spoiler]PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
>>
>>61140572
PERSONAL RESPONS-INSANITY
>>
>>61140569
Is China Gate any good? I just finished listening to I don't want to go to sleep and was wondering whether to go to China Gate, Crashes to Light, or ECIM next
>>
>>61140592
Not him, but I'd say ECIM is slightly better than China Gate. Both are really good though, so you can't really go wrong with them
>>
>>61140620
I think i'll just go with China Gate then
>>
>>61137679
Bark Psychosis - Codename Dustsucker, although obviously not shoegaze, creates a lot of textures that seem pretty parallel to it.
>>
Chinese post-rock is the best post-rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9JCV63cgtE
>>
>>61141222
> Chinese post-rock is the best post-rock
Not true btw
>>
>>61141323
as far as third wave post rock goes, Id say the best stuff comes out of Taiwan. That being said I still listen to a lot of western artists, such as this will destroy you.
>>
>>61141323

gook post rock seem good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjynPgRfk_g
>>
File: trying.png (3 MB, 1189x1096) Image search: [Google]
trying.png
3 MB, 1189x1096
been knocking these out while finding my own stuff
it's a crazily interesting 'genre'
>>
>>61141702
Are the x's albums you liked, ones you didn't or just those you've listened to?

Haven't heard half of those, but I would recommend
Talk Talk
Tortoise (whole discog)
Hollis
Gastr Del Sol (whole discog)
Slint
Stereolab (though I prefer their later stuff, at least the last records with Mary)
Brokeback (amazing love letter to Morricone)
Ganger
Labradford
>>
>>61141964
stuff i've listened to, but I liked most of it
Listened to the big 2 Talk Talks
Listened to the fish Tortoise quite a bit
Listened to one by Hollis
Gastr Del Sol is one of my favorite artists
Finished Slint
Gotta try the rest

My favorites in the Genre are Gastr Del Sol, Fly Pan Am, Godspeed, and Do Make Say Think
>>
>>61142054
Seems like you like strings. You might want to try Labradford or Rachels.
>>
>>61142307
I like string, but my true love is moderately abrasive electronics and strange vocals
>>
Has anyone got any recs for Post Rock that blends elements of folk and jazz? Along the lines of Mark Hollis' s/t. Doesn't have to be directly similar, but something that creates that very intimate mood and atmosphere
>>
File: briseglace.jpg (105 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
briseglace.jpg
105 KB, 600x597
>>61142355
This should work then.
Brise Glace - Jim O'Rourke's project before Gastr Del Sol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuv6kaHuqw
>>
File: Magyar Posse_Random Avenger.jpg (41 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
Magyar Posse_Random Avenger.jpg
41 KB, 500x465
I don't listen to that much post-rock, but this is fantastic. Real shame they never did anything like it again. Funny thing, my tracklist was out of order for a while, but Sudden Dead makes a great opener.
>>
I've noticed that there's been a lot of love for Yume Bitsu recently are they worth checking out?
>>61142395
Loka kind of fit, their use of percussion instruments give them a tribal trad feel.
>>61142513
Definitely this, along with You Fantastic! and Colossamite
>>
>>61142355
Not post rock but you might like Resplendent - In A Wilderness.
>>
File: IFx5.jpg (837 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
IFx5.jpg
837 KB, 1500x1500
Constellation Records has some of the most interesting things

>>61142603
>tfw someone besides me posted it
love that album
>>
>>61137259
Marimbas*

Vibraphones are larger and amplified metallophones.
>>
>>61140142
>>61143177
Shit, I'm getting schooled. Pretty sure they didn't mic up a tinny little xylophone, though. Do you know which one they use (Marimba or Vibraphone)?
>>
File: H7yOSKE.png (161 KB, 325x336) Image search: [Google]
H7yOSKE.png
161 KB, 325x336
>>61142513
>Jim O'Rourke is part of Gastr del Sol

I'm a big fan of both and never knew that, lol.
>>
File: wut.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>61143380
>only 2 real members
>>
>>61143252
Don't know about Millions Now Living..., but in their debut they used both.
>>
>>61143504
By the way, their debut is fucking incredible. 2 bassists and 3 percussionists is pure awesomeness.
>>
>>61143605
>band has two drummers
>>
>>61143657
Don't be ignorant. It's not impossible for a composition to require 2 kits to for a sound to be complete. Not that it should be the final blow of an argument, but I think most of those guys have graduate degrees in music.

Or you could just listen to the album because it's good.
>>
File: 528781556_640.jpg (41 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
528781556_640.jpg
41 KB, 640x640
>>61143657
not wanting two drummers
>>
File: TWO_Drummers.jpg (10 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
TWO_Drummers.jpg
10 KB, 300x186
>>61143788
>>61143771
It's a meme guys, I was posting it as joke Post-rock is pretty much driven by drummers.
>>
>>61143829
>it's a meme you dip
>unironically
kek
>>
>>61143829
>memeing in a decent thread
>>
>>61143917
It was supposed to be referencing the meme because I thought of it, given that it's pretty much one of the most pervasive memes on /mu/.
>>
bump to keep thread alive.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 298x300
Do Climax Golden Twins count as post rock? Been listening to them lately, pretty interesting stuff.
>>
I've been listening to alot of 1st wave post-rock lately. What are some 2nd wave you guys would recommend?
>>
>>61137451
>That's more of an exception than a rule
Read what I said
>in an existent amount (albeit small altogether)
>>
>>61145645
>there is at least a progressive or math rock element present in an existent amount (albeit small altogether) in a lot of post rock
There are very few post rock bands with progressive rock and math rock elements.
That's what the original post was about.
>>
>>61145589
offshoots of the Godspeed collective
most good 2nd wave I've heard is from constellation records
>>
File: 1450564298575.jpg (21 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1450564298575.jpg
21 KB, 320x320
>>
>>61146389
aaron pls go
>>
I haven't listened to Post-rock in a long time.. I got into kraut-rock, drone but I stopped listening to those bands.. are there any new bands that even make good music or just boring instrumental?
>>
Does anyone like Post-Rock and Drone? I love how synonymous both genres can be, especially with Earth 2 becoming a post-rock band (although their new stuff is mediocre). Don't bend ascend is a great album that combines both. Are there any other albums that do both well?
>>
>>61147445
I don't like drone, but I like ambient. What does that mean? How do I into drone?
>>
>>61147348
Tortoise is releasing a new album in January and the first single is quite good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ArKJ5k1Vnc
>>
>>61147489
Listen to lysol by Melvins, and flood by boris. They have drone recommendations on /mu/. Honestly just have an open mind, dont be expecting anything. Its the atmosphere that gets me, I'm going to be listening to Sunn o's new album tonight
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.