[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can an album be AOTY if it's not the best album musically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
Can an album be AOTY if it's not the best album musically but is the most important culturally?

pic related
>>
yes

especially if it's also the best musically
>>
sweden pls leave
>>
File: 1334090438820.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1334090438820.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>black people
>culture
>>
>>61115512
I'm an american.
>>
>>61115491
It's not even the most significant culturally. Amerikkka isn't the only culture in the world m8.
>>
>>61115536
>literally anything American
>culture

This is coming from an American btw
>>
It's not important culturally either. Only Americans think this album and their shitty politics are relevant anywhere else but the USA
>>
>>61115536
>What is rock, blues, jazz, soul, gospel, funk, EDM, reggae, etc.

Filtered.
>>
>>61116461
very true
>>
>>61115536
>>61116448
how is black music and art not culture? Jazz, blues, rock are all black art forms which white people in England and all over Europe blew each other over
>>
>>61116461
>tfw when you realize capitalism wins by making us ignore our shared experience in economic and cultural slavery.
>>
this album is okay at best, what the fuck is with this meme that it's somehow relevant?
I know GKMC was a pleb album, but it was great. TPAB is just meh.
>>
I really don't get it at all. His voice is incredibly grating, the beats are really ugly, nothing is memorable or interesting, tupac lmao

It's just cringe. I've never felt more out of place in the music world than I have this year. I think people are just fucked. This totally spits in the face of all the acclaim Black Messiah got last year too, because I assumed that was just a natural reaction to what a great album it was. Now it turns out black people can make literally any old shite and the quality has no effect on the hype it gets. It's just depressing really, because in the long run the backlash to this sort of shit is only gonna set them back another 30+ years
>>
>>61116471
Just ignore the retard
>>
>>61116437
What's the most culturally significant album this year?
>>
>>61116670
good luck getting over your lack of taste
>>
the moment I saw him in a music video with tay tay I knew klamar became just another marketing tool and that he couldn't''t carry himself with the name and fame he got. shame really
>>
>>61116825
tay tay = money
>>
>>61116701
It's abit of an absurd question since different cultures will respond differently to an album.
An album that can inspire or be liked across many cultures is more significant than an album that is very dense and difficult to understand if you aren't in America like TPAB.
This doesn't make it a bad album, it just makes it not particularly culturally significant.
>>
What? No.
>>
>>61116825
Is lupe the only one to stay true to his beliefs and what he stands for, for the most part?
>>
Calling TBAP a culturally significant record is a very sweeping and closed minded view to take.

Imagine if Britons paraded around an album about 'the Troubles' in Northern Ireland (that America funded), calling it the most important album culturally. No Briton would do this because they don't have the gall to assume that what is important to them should be important to everyone else.
>>
>>61116825
Its just for money. David Lynch is an anti-consumerist person yet does commercials for the big money to fund crazy projects since a lot of what he does isn't profitable anymore.
>>
ITT: buttmad British people
>>
File: 184.jpg (18 KB, 322x321) Image search: [Google]
184.jpg
18 KB, 322x321
It was significant to the culture it was intended for, so that's something, I guess.
>>
>>61115536
b-but you're black
>>
>>61117226
*buttmad anywhere but the US people*
>>
>>61116670
This. Niggers can be as uncreative as they want but as long as they're blaming the whitey for their misery they'll get the acclaim.
>>
>>61117333
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61116899
>>61117174
I doubt he needed that fucking money that bad, I mean come on, GKMD soled like hot dogs.
And nothing wrong with making money, far from that, but on the example of lynch, firstly he's a veteran and can allow himself some money making deal, secondly, the commercials have his flavor and are made tastefully.
>>
>>61117395
>soled like hot dogs
>soled
>hot dogs

Nigga you need to get your GED
>>
>>61115491
everyone is already calling it aoty for that same reason. it's sad.
>>
>>61117349
>>>/dogfart.com/
>>
>>61117395
>nothing wrong with making money, far from that
I don't see the problem. It's part of hip-hop culture to make money -- as much money as you can. So is the rapper/pop-star duet. He did his with one of the biggest pop stars in the world. good for him.
>>
>>61117489
>>>/pol/
>>
Yes.

See literally any canon album by Bob Dylan.
>>
>>61117498
but he lost any artistic relevance he had in the process. hope it was worth it.
>>61117425
not a native speaker, sorry, still it was just a typo fag.
>>
>>61117565
I'm sorry, but how is showing the bravery to collaborate with an artist outside of one's comfort zone show one to be a lesser artist?
>>
>>61117632
what comfort zone?
Taylor Swift is the biggest pop artist in the world, and rap music isn't that far from pop music. I'm not entitled to say with who he should collaborate with, but if he made a track with Slayer that would be going out of his comfort zone.
Secondly, the song was crap. There was 0 thought put into it, he sucked on it, taylor did her mindless thing, that's all. There was no collaboration on that song whatsoever.
>>
>>61117707
So this whole thing pretty much comes down to you not liking the song?
>>
doesn't sound like a very good metric to me. you'd end up heaping praise at either the already most commercially (or critically, same difference) successful release, or the one with the most shoehorned references to current events, and thats not what music is all about imo, actually being particularly topical just dates it

also, aoty to whom?
>>
>>61117823
>also, aoty to whom?
lots of people, apparently.
>>
>>61117871
I'm aware, i was referring to the op not specifying that, see
>Can an album be AOTY
like, is "just in general" what he meant? cuz theres no "objective" pick
>>
>>61117992
OP here. I did mean in general.
>>
>>61118061
oooohkay..
i guess in general in this case would have to mean simply, democratically, to the majority of people, but then your question is
>can an album be the most cared about of the year if its the most cared about of the year?
>>
File: 1450235967518.png (96 KB, 635x486) Image search: [Google]
1450235967518.png
96 KB, 635x486
How is TPAB different from all the 'Blame Whitey' hip-hop of the early 1990's?

I don't see how it can be hailed as groundbreaking and culturally significant if it's just older hip-hop with updated references and modern production.
>>
>>61118217
If that's the case, then Adele would win hands down.
>>
I think "album of the year" as a title sounds more like it's actually supposed to be the defining album culturally rather than the somehow objectively the best album musically and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that
>>
>>61117095
heh ok bud
>>
>>61118222
Have you listened to the album?
Whitey ain't fuckin mentioned.
>>
Such a racist cover. If it were a group of whites standing over a black guy, people would be up in arms over it.

In 'Alright', K.dot implies that all white cops wanna kill blacks. It's lowkey fear-mongering and goes against a message of unifying people.

The music video for RTJ's Close Your Eyes is a great example of the futility of the ongoing fight between police and blacks. Meanwhile, in the Alright video, Kendrick's got a bunch of white cops acting like slaves carrying him and his homies in a car. Muh white guilt.
>>
>>61115491
Will there be an album from 2015 remembered as much in 20 years? No way
>>
>>61120974
It won't be remembered in 20 years.
>>
>>61115536
Have more culture than white Americans desu. Not just in terms of creating blues, jazz, rock, and whatnot but just the fact that they're a minority population and their race becomes part of a shared identity. As opposed to whites who don't really think about themselves as a collective group a lot of times (at least I don't).
>>
>>61121141
White americans just pull their culture from other countries and shit

>Oh I'm german
>I'm definitely Irish, bro.

Which in a way makes sense, but you don't see to much white american culture that isn't negative "MUH GUNS, MUH FOOD, MUH Truck!"
>>
>>61115491
Yes.

But if the culture is a minority of the whole, then it can't be AOTY.
>>
i don't get what is this talk of it being a ''blame whitey'' or ''OOGA BOOGA WE STRONK'' album

it's an album about personal struggles, and a damn good one at that
>>
>>61121344
>damn good one
lol nah
>>
>>61118339
i thought the "best" or "favorite" preceding aoty was kinda implied, just that the abbreviation was catchier with 4 letters, but that makes sense i guess

though it might aswell mean "the album that best encapsulates the years zeitgeist", OR the most _musically_ noteworthy release, meaning the most novel, forward-thinking, etc, so it doesnt _have to be_ the most popular, and is more open for debate
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.