[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are most of you depressed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: iu-2.jpg (27 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
iu-2.jpg
27 KB, 768x768
I frequented mu a lot in the past. I find that the main point of this forum is to try to be better than others, and to dwell on negative things. After recovering from depression, I can't get into most of the music that this forum likes to say is good. I'd much rather listen to music that just makes me feel like a normal pleb. There were studies that recently came out saying that men tend to use negative music to ruminate in, while women use positive music to uplight themselves. No wonder no women don't become music nerds.
>>
Nice strawmaning
>>
>>61115287
i've been told i may have depression but i always stopped going to the psychologist after they told me that

i don't really care in all honesty, although a lot of the music i listen goes more to the ''dark'' side of music than to the depressing one
>>
yes i nearly killed myself last week still might. ive been as long as i can remember
>>
>>61115287
No where I work, they play nothing but top 40 and I dislike it based on how cringeworthy the lyrics and shitty attempt at incorporating edm production into

I enjoy plenty of old "normie" music like fleetwood mac rumours and some of the most banging 90's rave scene music.

I go work 20 hours a week and attend university. It's not about dwelling on negative things its just dealing with reality. majority of us aren't gonna be rich or successful in our dreams and you have to deal with that.

Listening to music that basically wants you to ignore that and turn your brain off. isn't something I wanna listen too.
>>
>>61115287
Women are statistically more prone to having depression actually. It's just that men are 4 times more likely to successfully kill themselves then women.
>>
>sometimes im sad i must be depressed

: ----------------- (
>>
>>61115348
>No where I work, they play nothing but top 40
A few years ago I was in a similar position, and nothing makes you want to jam needles in your ears then having to listen to Bruno Mars 10 times a day.
>>
I was diagnosed with depression years ago. I'm not completely good but I only get a few episodes a year.

I'm a /metal/fag that explores other genres as well. I don't think it has a impact on my depression, but who knows.
>>
>>61115348
desu it sounds like you enjoy alienating yourself
>>
File: A1HZQZY (1).jpg (60 KB, 535x285) Image search: [Google]
A1HZQZY (1).jpg
60 KB, 535x285
>>61115348
>>61115384
>being this intolerant of what is essentially background music at a job
>>
>>61115450
kinda,but I still post and browse internet forums so Not 100% yet

>>61115456
yes I know it's background music but when op said normal music that's the first thing that came to mind. sorry if I worded that wrongly
>>
>>61115361
considering that men with depression are much more likely to kill themselves, it seems that men don't deal with it very well.
>>
>>61115361
source please.
>>
>>61115488
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide
>>
>>61115456
The thing is, you're forced to listen to music you hate for 40 hours a week. I don't listen to music I love for 40 hours a week cause there is no free time to listen to music non-stop for 8 hours a day.
So if you think it's overreacting, try spending 160 hours in January listening to the same 30-40 songs you hate and see if you will start complaining.
>>
>no wonder no women don't become music nerds.

I'll start with the fact that this is a grammatical mistake. Or that you really meant that all of the women become music nerds. If so, i'll leave it alone.

I'm a woman. I really am. And I like this kind of music /mu/ has to offer. And I think that there are some women in this forum. Who are music nerds. Just like me. Just like the men in /mu/. Gender is nothing when it comes to music.

And about the depression - most of the people in here, are teenagers or young-adult. While they were in their adolescence, they were probably listening to "this kind of music" to deal with the depression that everyone has in their adolescence. And once you connect with music, emotionally, you never stops listening to it/to this kind of genre.

I have this feeling that most of the people in /mu/ are introverts. And while we're through a phase of depression, we have to listen to a kind of music that "understands" us. And most of the musicians that /mu/ loves, let's say' have the same problems in their life. So we can empathize.

I've been depressed for a long time, and music was my only escape. My only enjoyment. And after I overcome the depression, I didn't stop listen to the same music I listened to while I was depressed.
Maybe some albums I did stop listen to, but then I discovered other kinds of albums that the specific musician I listen to has. That, I'll say, /mu/ "appreciates". There are many kinds of music in here, you can't put all of it under one definition.
>>
>>61115485
>it seems that men don't deal with it very well
To explain it extremely naively -
Women get babbied and men get told to "man up" when complaining about most things.
>>
>>61115287
I spy with my little eye something beginning with troll

I think the reality of it is though that if you are sad, as everyone is once in a while, so called depressing music is actually more uplifting then happy music, and if it can get you through some though times then you are more likely love it.
A few years ago I went to college and I lost most of my social life, so if I listened to something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFzKNmeeSw
then I would feel less alone, whereas this, that was everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8
would just remind me of the parties I didnt go to.
>>
>>61115287
>No wonder no women don't become music nerds.
wrong i am female and listen to tons of music and i am sure like 1/3 of this board is female
>>
>>61115642
that isnt 'naive', thats exactly how it is. maybe simply would be a better word but youre not wrong. my question is (and this is directed at anyone, not necessarily at you), since traditional masculinity is what causes men to be expected to 'man up' and never express emotion which leads to far more suicides than women, why are so many people on this board against feminism? it seeks to get rid of traditional gender roles and expectations like this that hurt everyone. i legitimately dont understand.
>>
>>61115641

>Gender is nothing when it comes to music

And that's why you see a 50/50 divide of the genders at concerts, right?
>>
File: Depression.png (15 KB, 1213x480) Image search: [Google]
Depression.png
15 KB, 1213x480
>>61115287
Yeah
>>
>>61115852
im not that person but is that sarcasm? every concert ive been to was more or less 50/50 male/female
>>
not only /mu/, but every single user of 4chan hates themselves and that self-hatred increases the more they use it.
>>
>>61115871

Only at pop/indie/hiphop/edm concerts might you get close to that kind of female representation. Any kind of 'nerdy' genre like Extreme Metal, Prog, Experimental/Avant Garde, Jazz etc. is almost entirely dominated by men.
>>
>>61115287
Using /mu/ as a representation of the gender differences among musically inclined people is a hasty generalization. You're only counting people who frequent /mu/, which is probably a small portion of the population of music nerds.

With boards like /pol/, it's unlikely that most femanons would stay here. Their trolling bleeds into most of the other boards.

Assuming that most of 4chan consists of mentally-ill, rejection-prone anons with a predominantly male population, making the generalization that "women don't become music nerds" is a hasty generalization.

Having met a few girls who are music nerds and skilled musicians who don't seem to be /mu/tants, I'm willing to bet there are a lot more girls out there who fit that category. Although, seems to me that most of them are really sheltered by gated communities, since they seem to have rich parents who help pay for their lessons and music collections.
>>
>>61115641
nah, men are predisposed to like harsh noise. something about brain structure, idk desu. So gender does affect, to at least some extent, how one comprehends sounds.
>>
File: tumblr_nvce1qG41H1rsdpaso1_500.gif (606 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvce1qG41H1rsdpaso1_500.gif
606 KB, 500x500
My depression comes and goes, it mostly just depends on what im dwelling on at the time. I'm currently feeling really good, being more social, talking to friends more, I have a job interview lined up, and to top it off my music production has been going really well. But, I'm still heavy into soundcloud and "underground" music... So that's just where I stand on this thread I guess.
>>
>>61115287

>There were studies that recently came out saying that men tend to use negative music to ruminate in

bollocks. where are you getting this from? The complete opposite is true, depressing music is aural catharsis and makes you feel better
>>
>>61117546
you are all deviants. assimilate and prosper or alienate and wither away.
>>
>>61115934
because tiny nerdy shows are where you get raped lol
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.