[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a more mediocre album to come out this year? Other than DS2.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: homepage_large.06f9da6e.jpg (52 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.06f9da6e.jpg
52 KB, 319x319
Is there a more mediocre album to come out this year? Other than DS2.
>>
That's actually the album of the year.
>>
>>61108094
/thread
>>
>>61108094
explain how
>>
>>61108094
>>61108115
Its really good
>>
>>61108115
it's great
>>
>>61108165
explain why it is really good
>>61108182
explain why it is great
>>
>>61108115
Its barely there production doesn’t so much frame his rapping as it does provide a surface for his words to dance upon, to explore the art of rapping in multiple dimensions: melodically, rhythmically, lyrically, and in terms of composition. His voice glides through the thick absence of sound. He’s responsible for a lot of the songwriting; he knocks out his own hooks, and his writing speaks to his use of phrasing, his backgrounds, the flows he uses, and the way he plays with each song’s internal architecture. On “Halftime,” his car-screech adlibs are elongated—it’s as if a camera panned suddenly from a pinprick of light, causing it to blur—so he can change tones, harmonizing this background yelp with his own main vocals.

His lyrical style stands out in a number of ways; the most obvious is his ear for figurative language. Thug’s similes often build upon familiar imagery, but move in unexpected directions. On “Check,” he opens rapping about a “Mink coat with the rolls like a Shar Pei”; later on, he raps, “All my niggas, they hard, call them beetles.” These aren’t punchlines intended to get rap fans doubling over laughing (although they can be funny in their unpredictability). Thug seems more interested in an original and idiosyncratic approach to imagery, in discovering pathways in language that haven’t already been heavily traveled.

In this, his lyrical approach is closer to a rapper like Raekwon than it is Lil Wayne, with whom Thug is frequently compared through some fault of his own. But any close reading of his lyrics suggest comparisons between The Barter 6 and Wayne’s Carter series, for which it is named, are a total misdirection. Where Wayne shredded his vocals against hip-hop’s formal constraints, Thug is a synthesist, a rapper of control, an artist in the process of reassembly.
>>
>>61108203
even though this is a meme and is hyperbole it is still correct
>>
>>61108115
it sounds cool
>>
>>61108188
it's really good and great
>>
>>61108203
>>61108222
now provide your own opinion
>>61108228
explain how it sounds cooler than any other album this year
>>
>>61108188
Young Thug’s music doesn’t leave behind rap’s signature self-expression through wordplay. Instead, he’s the latest step in the genre’s linguistic evolution: Young Thug expresses his feelings more purely through sounds. Rather than explain a social commentary through lyrics, he can leave the layers of analysis to his fans on Instagram and Rap Genius, and use his songs to authentically represent a self. In a time when listeners are constantly trying to represent themselves online, Young Thug’s ability to articulate his authentic feelings through his own personal symbols, rather than the filter of verbal metaphors, is paramount.
>>
>>61108239
explain
>>
>>61108241
provide your own opinion
>>
>memerap fans are exclusively children who don't know how to talk about music
how unsurprising
>>
>>61108239
Hes got an interesting singing/rapping ability, dope beats, and a good sense of humor.
>>
>>61108299
how
>>
>>61108299
explain how
>>
>>61108299
provide your own opinion
>>
>>61108299
real
>>
>>61108239
>now provide your own opinion
Not him, but some people aren't verbose enough to express their feelings about art you know?

As for me I definitely think Young Thug is a talented artist with a remarkable rhythmic sense. He doesn't go for a machine gun flow trying to impress with verbosity and kitsch allusions to try to prove himself as a "thinker", instead he's completely pragmatic and uses his senses to express and create atmospheres and musical tropes with his voice along with the beats.

I do think his best album is yet to come, but Future DS2 is definitely something to pay attention to. Although those two are very different personas.
>>
>>61108357
none of that makes him superior to the rest of the music this year
>>
>>61108413
none
>>
>>61108413
I mean hes pretty innovative with his voice, not his beats tho. If he got on some weirder ass beats and did some more unconventional songs. Hes got potential
>>
>>61108406
Barter 6 is way better than DS2

Future got to comfortable on that album, he doesn't experiment with his voice nearly as much as he did on his other stuff and the production is too same-y
>>
I think the Rich Gang Tha Tour is better
>>
>>61108413
Music is not a contest kid, you should know that by now

However if we're gonna compare, Young Thug is a project that's completely solid musically even if you're gonna go with the old time "computers are not instruments lol". He's an artist who creates who directs and creates music that's to be respected among the best, just by the empiric knowledge that is.
>>
>>61108476
*too comfortable
>>
the
>>
>>61108476
You need to listen to it more, I didn't care about it at first but it's indeed a classic by now. I used to listen to it every day, because the production, the themes and the delivery are actually something advanced that doesn't come in the first listen, specially the ad libs.
>>
>>61108496
but it offers nothing new aside from the vocal quirks
like vocal quirks do not make it superior to shit that actually innovated or pushed boundaries
>>
>>61108559
Well what do you want me to say to make you believe it's superior? I've listened to his whole discography a number of times even before DS2 and only as I got to appreciate his last album did I get that upmost respect for Future as a character and artist. It's cohesive, it's consistent, it's inventive, and it's mature.
>>
>>61108691
none of that shit makes it anywhere close to AOTY.
>it's cohesive it's consistent it's inventive it's mature
Carrie & Lowell and TPAB are both that and each offers a lot more musically to find
also with Zs - Xe and plenty of other records I could list if I were pretentious

but dude there's just no way an enjoyable trap record is that good
>>
>>61108732
>Carrie & Lowell and TPAB
>good

lmao get taste
>>
>>61108782
>barter 6
>good
Lmao get taste
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 738x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 738x738
>>61108856
>he doesn't get young thug
>>
one of the best albums of the year for sure

young thug is an absolute genius taking hip hop to places its never been before
>>
>>61108867
>he doesn't get TPAB
See the thing is that we can do this all night but at the end of the day the average TPAB fan is a lot smarter than the average young thug fan
>>
>>61108068
i listened to it once. i remember nothing about it, but according to my RYM i hated it because i gave it a shitty rating.
>>
>>61108898
wrong
>>
>>61108876
Nice Shitpost faggot
>>
>>61108898
>the average TPAB fan thinks he's a lot smarter than the average young thug fan
fixed for you ;^)
>>
>>61108924
Nice Strawman faggot
>>
>>61108732
>none of that shit makes it anywhere close to AOTY.
Yoy do realize there's not criteria for "AOTY" that alone makes you looks stupid

>Carrie & Lowell and TPAB are both that and each offers a lot more musically to find
I wouldn't even agree at all, also those albums are very old-fashioned which makes it easy for you to think that they fit the criteria of whatever you conceive as good, that's why it's easy to dismiss anything that's new until people with discerning maturity say all over again how it's something that's to be respected

>but dude there's just no way an enjoyable trap record is that good
Holy shit, way to dismiss something just by tagging it as a genre you deem inferior to make it easier to convince yourself it's not good

That's why I don't listen to "genres", although I appreciate them for their use in the categorization of their origins/culture/epicenter, they're completely useless as far as evaluating an individual artistic accomplishment
>>
>>61108203
>it’s as if a camera panned suddenly from a pinprick of light, causing it to blur

are you FUCKING kidding me
>>
>>61108782
> ripping C&L

trapretard detected
>>
Dark Sky Paradise
At.Long.Last.A$AP
>>
>>61109495
Post your Top 5 AOTY.
>>
>>61108203
TL;DR: It's trash
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.