[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people here think that they can use the word "underwhelming"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1447264826815.png (329 KB, 542x579) Image search: [Google]
1447264826815.png
329 KB, 542x579
why do people here think that they can use the word "underwhelming" as a legitimate criticism of music? what the fuck does underwhelming mean in this context? that you didn't find the music to appeal to your completely unique and subjective tastes? it's like saying music is bad because it's boring. it means absolutely nothing

>pic unrelated
>>
Yep you're right :)
>>
people use it in place of "disappointing", it means they didn't find it as good as it was hyped to be, or they're a fan of the band
>>
>it means absolutely nothing
It means about as much as any positive thing you could say about that same music.
>>
It means that I didn't like it

What's so hard to understand about that?
>>
>>61092081
means it didn't live up to the hype
>>
SHE WAS UNDERWHELMED IF THAT'S A WORD
I KNOW IT'S NOT CAUSE I LOOKED IT UP
THAT'S ONE OF THOSE SKILLS THAT I LEARNED IN MY SCHOOL
>>
>>61092156
>>61092120
>>61092135

yeah but i'm talking from a critical standpoint. i often see people here trying to assert that certain music is bad because it's underwhelming. that makes no sense. they can say they didn't personally like it because they found it to be underwhelming, but they can't legitimately criticize it by saying it's underwhelming.
>>
>>61092305
how can someone intellectually explain how music is shit on a site that thinks shit like death grips and radiohead are groundbreaking
>>
>>61092314
good point. sometimes i put too much faith in this place
>>
>what the fuck does underwhelming mean in this context? that you didn't find the music to appeal to your completely unique and subjective tastes?

Well obviously. Literally all criticism about the actual quality (and I mean how "good" it is, not its "qualities") of music relies upon your own subjective interpretation of that.

I mean, what?

You don't like it as a criticism because it's their opinion, is that essentially what you're getting at?

I mean, on its own without a supporting argument, it certainly makes for a pretty weak criticism, but that is true of any single word if you isolate it.

>>
>>61092126
i'm just talking about how people tend to confuse objectivity and subjectivity on this board. if you say that an album is objectively good because it's masterfully composed, then that's just as dumb
>>
>>61092398

>You don't like it as a criticism because it's their opinion, is that essentially what you're getting at?

yeah pretty much. it's just that i see a lot of people on here trying to talk shit on music by merely calling it underwhelming and i think that's stupid. they should just say that they didn't personally like it.
>>
>>61092403
>>61092421
most of the time it is assumed that you realise that they realise they are speaking from a personal standpoint, having to preface everything with "in my opinion" or "personally" or something similar is just tedious
>>
music is fucking gay lmao
>>
>>61092447
you're right. i guess it just annoys me when i see ppl saying that
>>
>>61092081
If I for example find a bands debut to be excellent and then hear their sophmore album and find that one bad I feel it is underwhelming in the sense that it didn't live up to the standards of quality the debut had set. Does that make sense?
>>
>>61092081
they could have tried to do something more interesting so that it stands out from others in the genre but they played it safe and just sound like every one else. ever listen to an album and none of it really sticks?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.