[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums Of 2015
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: YIM_50BestAlbums.png (103 KB, 1440x690) Image search: [Google]
YIM_50BestAlbums.png
103 KB, 1440x690
The full list:
1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Jamie xx - In Colour
3. Grimes - Art Angels
4. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
5. Tame Impala - Currents
6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
7. D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
8. Miguel - Wildheart
9. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
10. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
11. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
12. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
13. Joanna Newsom - Divers
14. Young Thug - Barter 6
15. Björk - Vulnicura
16. FKA twigs - M3LL155X
17. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
18. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
19. Future - Dirty Sprite 2
20. Floating Points - Elaenia
21. Donnie Trumpet & the Social Experiment - Surf
22. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
23. Kurt Vile - b’lieve i’m goin down
24. Thundercat - The Beyond / Where the Giants Roam
25. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
26. Deafheaven - New Bermuda
27. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
28. Beach House - Depression Cherry
29. Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife
30. Deerhunter - Fading Frotnier
31. Kelela - Hallucinogen EP
32. Dr. Dre - Compton
33. Archy Marshall - A New Place 2 Drown
34. Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION
35. Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
36. Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
37. Empress Of - Me
38. Arca - Mutant
39. Holly Herndon - Platform
40. Jlin - Dark Energy
41. Jeremih - Late Nights: The Album
42. Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, girl
43. Destroyer - Poison Season
44. Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show
45. Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs
46. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
47. DJ Koze - DJ-Kicks
48. Shamir - Ratchet
49. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
50. Dawn Richard - Blackheart

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/
>>
>26. Deafheaven - New Bermuda

And yet they originally gave it a 6.5

what the shit
>>
File: 1450282703995.png (246 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1450282703995.png
246 KB, 720x544
>All of this Blackness is important. Important because sometimes white people need to take a metaphorical seat—to sit down, shut up, and listen to conversations in which they are a cultural object, not the center. This is not an easy task. White people have been way too comfortable for way too long in this country, in this world. Way too comfortable with the way they choose to see reality solely through their own gaze, way too comfortable with their sense of entitlement over the planet and its resources, way too comfortable with their appropriation of culture in ways large and small, way too comfortable with the stories they tell, the lies passed off as the history of mankind. Way too comfortable with the things they pick up, way too careless with the way they put them down. But Kendrick was willing to discomfort the comfortable.

The word 'Black' is mentioned 12 times throughout this review.

They mention two songs in a small paragraph. There are sixteen tracks on this album.

I can safely say this is one of THE worst articles about music I've seen in a very long time.
>>
>>61092000
>poison season
My nigga bejar is finally getting some recognition.
Either way kaputt>poison season
>>
File: Screenshot.png (354 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
354 KB, 1366x768
>>61092021
>And yet they originally gave it a 6.5
did they change the score?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21022-new-bermuda/
>>
>>61092044
I don't tend to browse p4k but supposedly this is something they do quite a lot, they originally gave TWIABP's new album a 10 (check their fb page for proof), and now it's a 7.9
>>
>>61092032
So what, we need a media that functions as all races and cultures? That's beginning to seem like more and more impossible of a concept.
And to have this sense of entitlement and to FUCKING TALK DOWN to the group you're trying to educate in the most condescending way possible is beyond actual shortsightedness.
>>
>>61092000
And not a single good album was listed that day.
>>
Show a link
Can't find this on my own
>>
The real crime is jamie xx being so high
>>
I saw an anon talk about the possible reality that Kendrick probably never intended for this album to become the political grail it's being praised as.

The people who write these reviews (more than usual, upper middle-class white people) always fail to mention the fact that Kendrick implies that the problems of the black community must be ultimately solved via a 2-way street fashion in which THEY MUST admit their faults and work to adapt.

But, because this doesn't fit the narrative of these people's world in no person of color is ever at fault, they shove it out and make up inherently racist words like 'Blackness.'

Take this part of the review, where the reviewer actually criticizes Kendrick for stating an opinion that may very well be true because of its 'respectability politics.'

>It was the amendment to his controversial statements to Billboard magazine that veered uncomfortably close to respectability politics. ("What happened to [Michael Brown] should've never happened. Never," he told the magazine. "But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting—it starts from within.")

Excuse me, but isn't this entire article actually just political diatribe?
>>
>>61092079
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/
>>
>>61092071
It's quantity over quality. If a year seriously had 50 good albums released in it it would be the greatest year in music history. So of course most of the list will be crap.
>>
>>61092105
sorry, I meant to direct >>61092079 to >>61092061
>>
>>61092086
I dunno what sort of 4chan liberal boogeyman you're convinced is happening here, but the dindu nuffin attitude really isn't all that common amongst poor black people.

Kendrick's attitude there seems to be in line with most people I've spoken to from that community, that they're really not helping themselves by acting like a bunch of retards all the time. Why do you think the poor black people who aren't ghetto are super religious? They see it as the righteous response to an awful way of life.
>>
>>61092139
the ultimate point i'm trying to make is that when these music sites, Pitchfork especially, take it upon themselves to be overtly political and create a discussion around modern racial tendencies, they are incredibly biased and write with a level of understanding and credibility of sophomoric college students.
>>
>>61092000
>1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Ahem. Political Statement!
>>
>>61092172
Oh yeah, I've got no time for shitty student politics. TPAB is an amazing album because its legit in the way that their tumblr bullshit isn't.
>>
>>61092208
i can't help but agree. while it wasn't even near my favorite album of the year, this year of reflection has only made me respect Kendrick more for putting his true thoughts out there and doing it in an unconventional way for modern standards.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.