[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yes, in this lineup, is the most talented rock band to ever exist.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
Yes, in this lineup, is the most talented rock band to ever exist. Each member could be argued to be the best player in rock for their instrument and the music was sublime. Prove me wrong
>>
I don't know about Jon Anderson, his vocals annoy me.

Chris Squire on the other hand blew Entwistle, Rutherford, McCartney and whoelse out of the water.

Steve Howe is great, but not the best at the time.
>>
>>61073649
Can't be, because The Beatles exist
>>
>>61073649
>Yes, in this lineup, is the most talented rock band to ever exist.
That lineup was ace but probably not really the most talented rock band to ever exist. These things are hard to prove/quantify.
>>
Plant/Daltrey>Anderson
Page/Townshend>Howe
Jones/Entwistle>Squire & Wakeman
Bonham/Moon>Bruford
>>
>>61073649
Name two songs that are good other than Roundabout and owner of a lonely heart.
>>
>>61073649
Gave that album a full listen the other day. Roundabout was great and there were some decent funky sections in other songs but the acoustic interludes and 1-minute tracks seemed useless and the rest of the album was pretty standard indulgent prog wankery
>>
>>61074312
Chris Squire is Yes.
He is the only constant.
>>
File: cover.jpg (73 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
73 KB, 280x280
>>61074375
Close to the Edge is better t b h
>>
Chris Squire maybe you could argue, but otherwise no
>>
>>61074364
Total Mass Retain
>>
>>61074425
Titletrack > Siberian Kathru > And You And I

8/10
>>
>>61074425

IT'S THE BEST ALBUM THERE IS
>>
Only member of Yes I would say is the master of his instrument is Wakeman and his contribution to Fragile is the weakest.
>>
>>61074469
That's one song you chucklefuck.
>>
>>61074488
>steve howe not a guitar god
s my h
>>
>>61073649
I love them both dearly but Rick Wakeman was less talented than Keith Emerson. Rick Wakeman was also more tasteful so....
>>
>>61074488
Bill bruford m8
>>
>>61074411
chris is kill
>>
Bruford hadn't blossomed yet. Squire is possibly the best bass player. Howe is great but not the best. Anderson wasn't even close to the most talented vocalist, and don't tell me he is one of the greatest lyricists (Mamas come out of the sky and just stand there!). Wakeman was amazing too, though.
>>
>>61074364
Close to the edge (the whole album)
Starship Trooper
Seen all good people
Long distance runaround
The list goes on...
>>
>>61074425
I'll listen to it tonight. Thanks anon
>>
>>61074609
>Howe is not the best
Howe is he not the best?
>>
>>61074743
Cool. I didn't like Yes that much but this album changed my mind.
>>
>>61074364
just from the top off of my head
>Survival
>Time and a word
>Close to the edge
>>
>>61073649
Sorry dude, Yes was stacked with talent, but the Mothers of Invention circa 1969 is the GOAT rock ensemble.
>>
OP here, I'm not saying that each member is individually the absolute best of their craft. I'm saying that, individually, the members could be argued as being the best (save for Jon Anderson in hindsight). Also, I'm saying that Yes as a whole is the most talented. There are arguably better musicians, but they don't belong to groups that are as fully talented as Yes.
>>
>>61075183
They were artistically and creatively more talented than Yes maybe, but idk as musicians, I dont think they match up.
>>
>>61074341
>Plant/Daltrey>Anderson
Debatable
>Page/Townshend>Howe
It's one thing if you prefer their playing styles, but Howe is objectively the most talented of the three
>Jones/Entwistle>Squire & Wakeman
Against Squier alone I could see room for argument, but with Wakeman included that's a joke match up
>Bonham/Moon>Bruford
Not a chance, neither Bonham nor Moon could have kept up in Yes or King Crimson
>>
>>61075229
Maybe not individually, but collectively they were a more talented lineup.
>>
File: Roger-Dean-1974-Yes-Relayer.jpg (157 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Roger-Dean-1974-Yes-Relayer.jpg
157 KB, 800x800
>>61073649
You're completely right, but Close to the Edge is far superior to Fragile. And pic related is the best one, though I won't argue that Moraz > Wakeman
>>
>>61076025
I love Gates of Delirium, but other tracks on this album were kinda meh to me
>>
>>61076025
Close to the Edge was the peak and later albums went too far in the direction of wankiness, but they are still good.
>>
File: King Crimson 1974 Red front.jpg (115 KB, 1420x1416) Image search: [Google]
King Crimson 1974 Red front.jpg
115 KB, 1420x1416
>>61073649
I wouldn't be so sure about this one, OP
>>
>>61073649
Bruford is a good drummer, but not even close to the best (Billy Cobham and Lenny White immediately come to mind as better players)
>>
Fragile is my least favorite Yes album

Tales from Topographic Oceans is underrated, although still not the best
>>
>>61076169
I was talking within the realm of rock
>>
>>61074609
It's "Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there"

They wrote the song while on a long train ride and a lot of the lyrics reference the scenery they saw. I assume it was misty/foggy and the mountains appeared out of thin air to them
>>
>>61077229
You like Fragile less than their 80s output? Less than Tormato? Oh boy
>>
>>61073649
LED ZEPPELIN
>>
>>61077263
As a whole album it's got quite a few stinkers that drag it down
>>
Between the Buried and Me

>honestly
>>
>>61077289
Yeah but its highs are so amazing. Like Heart of the Sunrise hnnng. Also
>Roundabout
>Long Distance Runaround
>The Fish
>South Side of the Sky
>We Have Heaven
>Mood For A Day
>>
File: 1398576515621.jpg (127 KB, 1011x819) Image search: [Google]
1398576515621.jpg
127 KB, 1011x819
>>61077337
>We have heaven
>>
>>61074341
The three singers/lyricists you've mentioned have a unique or at least influential style but I'll take Jon Anderson anytime. Personal opinion.

Page was fucking sloppy and Townshend was energetic but the one that had the technical mastery of the guitar was Howe. Wouldn't call How the greatest of all time, though. (Cause that's Fripp)

Jones was quite possibly the most talented Led Zeppelin member (followed closely by Bonham) but doesn't really compare neither to Squire as a bassist nor to Wakeman as a keyboardist. He might be the best arrangenment maker, though.
Entwistle was a master of the bass but Squire was too, so it's a tough choice there. Wakeman is a very solid contender for the best rock keyboardist, I'd even say he's better than Keith Emerson.

Bonham is better than Moon, who was only quick and strong. Bonham set the blueprint for what a rock drummer should be, while Bruford expanded this role with deranged polyrhythms and weird ass tempos. I'd say Bruford was more technically profficient than Bonham.
>>
>>61075207
Have you dived into Gentle Giant yet? because it might make you change your mind. Not saying GG is better than Yes or vice versa, but they're pretty neck on neck in terms of instrumental virtuosity
>>
File: swanstobekind.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
swanstobekind.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>61073649
no
>>
File: 954038[1].jpg (31 KB, 299x201) Image search: [Google]
954038[1].jpg
31 KB, 299x201
>>61078057
agreed.
>dat multi-instrumentalism
>Gary Green - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, 12 string guitar, alto recorder, descant recorder, vocals, percussion
>Kerry Minnear - keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals, percussion
>Derek Shulman - vocals, alto sax, descant recorder, bass, percussion
>Ray Shulman - bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals, percussion
>John Weathers - drums, vibes, tambour, vocals, percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6WSLG5r-wE
>>
>>61074364
Long Distance Runaround
Heart of the Sunrise
Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Gates of Delirium
Soundchaser
>>
File: gurp.png (59 KB, 192x194) Image search: [Google]
gurp.png
59 KB, 192x194
>>61078196
>be me
>go to see King Crimson
>show starts and band members gather on stage
>see that one of the drummers is literally Bill Rieflin from Swans
>mfw
>>
>>61078412
That's one of my favorite recordings of any song, ever. That concert series (BBC Sights & Sounds) is top notch on everything. 2nd only to the Old Grey Whistle Test.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.