[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be another website that legitimately reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: p4k.png (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
p4k.png
11 KB, 200x200
Will there ever be another website that legitimately reviews independent music and rises small bands to success without being SJW white guilt kekolds?
>>
/mu/
>>
>>61068426
I love all these meme buzzwords
>>
Why don't you make it OP? It's not like Pitchfork was any good at writing reviews when it started. Or when it got big.
>>
>>61068426

The social justice tinge is new.

When I started reading pitchfork in '00 they were a lot meaner in reviews, there was one for Great Big Sea that said "the band members fuck their sisters". Hard to imagine that now.

They're beholden to advertisers like Nike and Apple now and take the reviews "seriously"

Anyway OP why don't you start it?
>>
Us /mu/tants should get together and make one.
>>
>tfw ur band will never get hype because p4k likes niggers and jew money
>>
I would just like a music site that does what music magazines used to do: sift through the shit and point out stuff that might actually have some quality/staying power. Spin and CMJ used to do a decent job of this.

The problem is that those magazines were monthly and a website lives and dies on clicks, so there has to be some new shit on it every day. Not that every month was a good month either, but I'd take the print pub that yielded Massive Attack over the blog that yielded Beach Slang any day.
>>
>>61068426
>sjw
>white guilt
Hello, Tumblr!
>>
>>61068426
Marcel is good for that. He sorta dropped the whole SJW shtick recently and he's more mature now. It's like he's outgrown the whole SJW gimmick, which is ironic because so many writers are still holding onto it in their 20s.
>>
>>61068477
you complained about buzzwords by using a buzzword
>>
>>61068491
>>61068462
worst idea i've ever heard
>>
>>61068636
+1
>>
>>61068631
>Marcel
literally who
>>
>>61068631
G O T O B E D M A R C E L
>>
>>61068649
It would still be better than Pitchfork, Complex and NME combined
>>
>>61068596
The CMJ events in NYC this year were comically out of whack - the objective should be to showcase up-and-coming bands, not record label circle jerking. If you're signed to a label, you should be out of the running.
>>
>>61068702
I specifically said "used to", as in past tense. CMJ died when they printed their last magazine.

But you bring up another good point regarding money in music in 2015, and what a joke artistic integrity has turned into. You're right, the objective should be to showcase up-and-coming bands. The problem is that only well to do kids seem to be able to afford the attempt at making music for a living. And you're out of your fucking mind if you think that's a recipe for good music. People don't buy records anymore so being signed to a label doesn't mean what it used to.
>>
The Quietus
>>
>>61068858
Woops, I admittedly skimmed that post and saw "CMJ" and felt like I had to give my two cents.

>only well to do kids seem to be able to afford the attempt at making music for a living
Yes, this 100%. I'm play in a band that is fairly active in the northeast indie circuit, and a good number of those art school graduates are great people, but nearly all of them come from rich families (children of famous actors and lawyers)
>>
File: 1434575627530.jpg (25 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1434575627530.jpg
25 KB, 250x250
>>61069002
>I'm play
fuck I'm idiot
>>
>>61068879
>The Quietus
Yeah, no. They're great for recommendations of records you'll listen to once and never listen to again. Too much emphasis on the art aspect of music and not enough on the quality of the music itself. Their #1 record for 2015 was Jlin Dark Energy. Which is great if you're into torturing yourself with unlistenable cutting edge electronic garbage music that makes you want to turn it off every 30 seconds or so.
>>61069002
>a good number of those art school graduates
>nearly all of them come from rich families (children of famous actors and lawyers)
This is why Mandatory Fun was a number 1 record in 2014, music's in the shitter. Straight up. Smart people are avoiding a career in music because there's zero chance of making a decent living without some sort of financial support from somewhere. It's all suburban shitstain vanity projects at this point, and they have no problem taking money from Monster Energy® (or what the fuck ever).
>>
>>61068426
Pitchfork was always what you call "SJW"

Now they are just more about pop music than in the past.
>>
Alright faggots, I'll make a website, you'll all hate it.
>>
>>61069153
>Now they are just more about pop music than in the past.
>Now they are just more about ad revenue than in the past.
ftfy
>>
Club Fonograma only covers spanish language indie so thats pretty obscure stuff
>>
>>61068685
>it would have all the shitty taste of Pitchfork, Complex, and NME combined

ftfy
>>
>>61069170
>Club Fonograma only covers spanish language indie so thats pretty obscure stuff
>spanish language indie
>obscure stuff
the specific shit I just flushed into oblivion is obscure by definition but there's a reason no one's interested in it
>>
>>61069193
With less cuckolding and white guilt
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.