[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Criticisms that tell you when to stop taking a critic seriously.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: a hampus.jpg (28 KB, 119x164) Image search: [Google]
a hampus.jpg
28 KB, 119x164
ITT: Criticisms that tell you when to stop taking a critic seriously.

>There's nothing new here
>>
whenever the word 'blistering' is used for a metal album
>>
...or a review with the phrase 'Brian Eno' in it
>>
>It replaced lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.
>>
>boring

It's ok to call an album boring when you're casually talking about it, but I feel like it's such a lazy criticism when legitimately reviewing an album
>>
>taking critics seriously ever

Most hack profession of all time.
>>
File: 620.gif (197 KB, 600x562) Image search: [Google]
620.gif
197 KB, 600x562
>trap influenced beats
>>
>>61056016
Woah Anthony Fantano word a shirt with /mu/ on it?
>>
>>61056023
He is a /mu/ster
>>
File: 1449196380276.gif (1 MB, 332x311) Image search: [Google]
1449196380276.gif
1 MB, 332x311
>>61056016
Why are you posting static gifs.
>>
>>61055919
All the negative reviews of one of my favorite albums, drukQs, saying "there's nothing new here" helped me to stop being a critic drone. If that album had come out a couple years earlier with Windowlicker as the lead single it would've gotten "eclectic! ambitious! landmark album!"rave reviews but because Aphex was on their bad side and starting to be a recluse they had to act disappointed

These days I read reviews to relieve boredom but I don't listen to an album just bc it gets 9.0 on pitchfork
>>
File: sofia7.jpg (97 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
sofia7.jpg
97 KB, 600x450
>The critic is the real artist
>>
>using terms like cultural appropriation to criticise a band or album

Mainly because it's used to look for criticism when they can't find anything wrong with the music. I also don't see anything wrong with appropriation.

>played it safe

There's a fine line between consistency and safety, and most critics can't find it.

>anything referencing a previous album to criticise the current one

Just because it sounds very much like or very different from a previous album does not mean anything.

>referencing an artists public antics to criticise an album

Varg being a nationalist or Kanye acting like a moron has nothing to do with the sound of an album. Weak criticism imo.

Tldr is that the sound of an album is the only important thing, not context.
>>
>>61056088
dunno it must have saved in a weird way

thanks for replacing it anon
>>
>>61056165
>using terms like cultural appropriation to criticise a band or album
Name one fucking review that isn't on kotaku or tumblr do this
Fucking do it, I bet you can't
>>
>>61056253
When Vampire Weekend started out they received backlash for incorporating afrobeat and were called the "whitest band on the planet" all over the place
>>
>>61056165
>anything referencing a previous album
I guess you mean a general reference to their previous work without detailing, right?
Because sometimes referring to lyrical work, production or consistency in the instrumentation of previous works can legitimately emphasize the critic's review
>>
>>61056340
Well I stand corrected
>>
>>61055919
>"It's not a bad album, but it's a bad [artist name] album"
>Proceeds to give the album a shitty score when that's the only criticism in the review
This happens surprisingly often.
>>
>>61056344
I mean in the sense of
>last album was so good, this one is not as good, so I score it lower than I would have because I liked the last one better

I think you should focus on the sound of the current album you're reviewing as a critic

>>61056253
I don't automatically discount reviews from specific sites, so when a reviewer on kotaku pulls bullshit like this, I then know that their opinion isn't valid.

I'm no /pol/ conspiracy theorist, I realize this doesn't happen often, but I still consider people who do it to have no relevant opinion.
>>
>critic hates the eagles, coldplay and supertramp
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.