[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me why does noise "music" is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
File: merzbow.jpg (294 KB, 903x600) Image search: [Google]
merzbow.jpg
294 KB, 903x600
Can anyone explain to me why does noise "music" is considered music? Why do people enjoy it? Why does it exist? People who unironically likes this kind of shit are dumb or retarded.

Not even b8ing. I'm curious why noise is praised.
>>
>People who unironically likes this kind of shit are dumb or retarded.
>Not even b8ing.

lol ok
>>
>merzbow
>noise music

you have to post related pictures to the thread, otherwise the janitor may delete your thread
>>
>>61054474
Everything is music
You don't have to like it
>>
It's still music in the same sense that abstract, non-representative art is still art.
>>
>>61054546
>Everything is music

So talking is music now?
>>
>>61052020
-
It was around for a pretty long time. About 1920 when rusollo wrote first pieces. He postulated that music slowly descends into dissonance so why not speed whole process up? And he did.
But whole think really caught on when nips discovered metal machine music.
>>
>>61054474
I realize this is bait but
>Can anyone explain to me why does noise "music" is considered music?
the only accurate definition of music is that any human expression considered music by a group of people is music. the only functional use of the term "music" is to denote the collection of art that people think about and discuss as music. it is undeniable that there is a group of people who produce, distribute, discuss, and consume noise music in the same way that people do other forms of music so there is no value in trying to differentiate noise music from other forms of music.
>Why do people enjoy it?
There are a lot of reasons people like noise. Some people enjoy the aggression of it and may find a catharsis through listening to it. Many of these fans found noise through metal, punk, or noise rock. Some people just enjoy the texture of the sounds. This is the same kind of enjoyment that jazz fans get from the timbre of a saxophone or rock fans get from the timbre of a guitar. In the case of noise that enjoyment is taken to the extreme and most other aspects of the music such as rhythm and melody are stripped away to have a pure exploration of timbre and texture. Some people also enjoy enjoy the conceptual nature of some noise projects. For example may of Dominick Fernow's projects are instrumental noise and industrial techno given context by descriptive song titles and creative artwork. This kind of multimedia aesthetic unity is something that is common in noise and is something many people look for in a quality noise project. Of course people can like it for more than one reason as well as other reasons I didn't list just like every other genre.
>>
File: front.png (762 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
front.png
762 KB, 650x650
>>61054474
Listen to this. I'm not into noise myself but I keep coming back at this album.
>>
>>61054564
It could be
>>
>>61054696
I'm listening to the first track right now and so far this honestly this just sounds retarded.
>>
>>61054474
>Can anyone explain to me why does noise "music" is considered music?
Because music is just organized sound
>>
It doesn't matter if it is "music" or not. It is plain and simple sound as art.
>>
>>61054894
Well, noise is for retards who are way too dumb and lazy to appreciate real music.
>>
>>61054932
So then unorganized noise isn't music?
>>
>>61054894
Yeah just wait nigger.
>>
>>61054664
/thread
This anon put it as clear as it gets
>>
>>61054932
Noise is unorganized sound. Nice try, dumbfuck.
>>
File: 1520592.jpg (17 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1520592.jpg
17 KB, 280x280
>>61054564
how new are you?
>>
>>61054952
In the moment someone thought "hey, this sounds nice, maybe other people should hear it" it started organazided
>>
>>61054966
Uh, that's not music, anon.
>>
>>61054965
>unorganized sound

pretty sure noise songs are still crafted, but nice try on kickstarting a new buzzword.
>>
>>61054952
Like TV static? No.
>>61054965
It isn't though, your a tard.
>>
>>61054474

>Not even b8ing. I'm curious why noise is praised.

Then stop making this thread every week.
>>
>>61054564
Kelly, Steven. Teaching Music in American Society. New York: Routledge, 2009.

Page 9:
>A person's culture determines how the individual perceives, believes, evaluates, and behaves in society, which explains why all societies have diverse thinking and behaviors. Thus, a sociological view of life, including music, is that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." What is considered "good" can only be evaluated to the extent that the properties are familiar and understood in that particular culture.

He also applies this to the discussion of "what is music." Such is inherently a culture-based discussion and entirely subjective.
>>
>>61054993
>spoken word and collage music isn't music

narrow minded pleb
>>
>people still have no understanding of how art labeling works in a post-Duchamp world
kek
>>
noise is actually pretty intelligent music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3IgScoworQ

>does your ignorance give you pleasure?
>does your prejudice bring you joy?
>does your cock get harder than mine?
>does your narrow-mindedness give you a sense of superiority?
>>
>>61055067
whoa this is pretty deep stuff thanks for the rec
>>
File: lol.jpg (168 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
168 KB, 1024x576
>>61054474
It's a meme only oldfags will remember

Can't believe we tricked so many people into listening to this trite
>>
ayy lmao
>>
>>61055017
i agree with this.

both of my parents are machines and i grew up inside a machine, and the only language i know is machine. what you all call "noise" is my music, and everything you perceive to be "music" is what i call noise.
>>
>>61055106
wow this is a life-changing post
>>
>>61054965
I love it when people actually think this
>>
>>61054965
>Noise is unorganized sound. Nice try, dumbfuck.
[b8 citation needed]
>>
>>61054564
spoken word
>>
>>61055091
>whoa this is pretty deep stuff thanks for the rec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzY1jorcm-w
>you think i like you? think again.....
>you think i care? FUCKING WAKE UP!!!
>your opinions mean shit to me
>your life mean nothing
>all life means nothing
>i love you
>i hate you
>i am absorbed by you
>i am indifferent
>I AM YOU
>>
>>61055091

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4pgqWdiCA

HEY, KNUCKLE-NICKS
I'LL TELL YOU:
IT'S HELPING
I'LL TELL YOU:
YOU'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING
I CAN SEE YOU'RE USED
AND I KNOW THE WAY YOU'VE BEEN
BUT I DO KNOW PAST FAILURES STILL HAUNT YOU
THOUGHTLESS SLOW REMARKS YOU LATER REGRET
IT'S HARD TO OWN UP AND TAKE THE BLAME
FOR BEING A NERVOUS GIBBERING WRECK
SO GO ON BE A CARELESS FUCKING ONLOOKER
SO YOU CAN SIT AND NOT-THINK ABOUT PAIN
I KNOW ABOUT GASPING ATTACKS AND MIRROR-BLOOD
I KNOW ABOUT SHITBAGS AND SHAME
I KNOW A FUCKLOAD MORE THAN YOU REALISE
A FUCK LOT MORE THAN YOU THINK
I KNOW WHY YOU CAN TAKE A KISS
BUT NOT A BONE-COUNT HUG
I KNOW YOU BITE YOUR FAT BANANA FINGERNAILS
AND I KNOW WHY YOU'D NEED TO SHAVE
I KNOW YOU'RE A SLOW FUSSY PATHETIC EATER
AND I KNOW YOU DON'T SLEEP MUCH
BUT I'LL STILL TELL YOU:
IT'S HELPING
AND I'LL STILL TELL YOU:
You're doing the right thing
>>
>>61055218
it's like if steve albini was more pretentious and grew up a working-class londoner
>>
I don't really understand it either. I listen to music because I can't produce it myself. I appreciate that people more talented than me are able to make interesting melodies with instruments which evoke all sorts of emotions, make me think about the lyrics or whatever else. But I can make noise. I can nonsensically fiddle with dials on a synthesizer, bang on a drum randomly and make random notes on a guitar. It just doesn't demonstrate any skill to me.

It's like, I could take a dump inside a glass box and call it art, or drink some food coloring and puke on a canvas to call it art, but come on now...it's not art.
>>
>>61055284
retard
>>
What's with all the noise hate lately?
>>
>>61055338
just a bunch of insecure plebs
>>
>>61054474
Well, just saying Noise music is very vague. Futurists had a point, the Dadaists didn't.

You posted Merzbow though, Merzbow is just fun, like Autopsy, you bounce about your room shouting "RAWR! =3"
>>
>>61055284
it can be art.

i bet your favorite album is literally a heap of shit for another person.
>>
>>61055284
>I can nonsensically fiddle with dials on a synthesizer, bang on a drum randomly and make random notes on a guitar.
that's not what noise is about dude
>>
>>61055284
Posts like this are so cliche I don't even know how people can say this stuff with a straight face. It's like looking at a Pollock painting and saying "my kid could do that"
>>
>>61055338
christmas holidays man
>>
>>61055466
some ppl thinks that skills makes something art
>>61055338
maybe cause NBND
>>
>>61055466
It's true though.
>>
>>61055466
>It's like looking at a Pollock painting and saying "my kid could do that"

well, whats stopping a kid from making a Pollock-esque painting?
>>
>>61055338
people confronted with things they don't like or understand. blame the thing they don't like or understand instead of trying to like, understand, or ignore it.
>>
>>61055516
No it isn't.
>>
>>61055526
They just don't have the same MEANING behind it, man.
>>
>>61055551
>>61055516
it IS true but it IS NOT valid criticism of anything
unless you, like, really hate your kid maybe
>>
>>61054664
This nigga gets it
>>
>>61055551
other anon. I like noise but they mostly don't know how to do it conventionally. Classical composers know how to compose in a traditional way and that's because they break the rules in a interesting way while untrained noisicians are mostly hit n miss
>>
File: raccoon grapes.gif (2 MB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
raccoon grapes.gif
2 MB, 300x299
why does everything have to be music?
why can't you enjoy listening to things that aren't music? why, if you enjoy it, do you feel the need to call it music?
>>
>>61055526
Art is the intention not the literal product. Kids don't have enough going on in their heads to be able to pour passion onto a canvas or record their visceral emotions as sounds. I like noise because of its sonic intensity and the clear strength of the feeling going into the artwork. But I can listen to some noises on a train or airplane and think they're annoying as shit because it's just some non-deliberate sound. Passion and purpose make art, not the physical medium.
>>
>>61055659
I get what you mean, but there are retards who like to confuse things. Why listen to people kicking a drum can when you can listen to the beach, or a forest or beat a drum can yourself? You HAVE to be retarded to rely on others to make use of your ears for noise or music.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448700157435.jpg (6 KB, 238x174) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448700157435.jpg
6 KB, 238x174
>Well, noise is for retards who are way too dumb and lazy to appreciate real music.
>for retards who are way too dumb and lazy
>dumb and lazy
The most challenging form of music is for people who are retarded or lazy? How is this not bait?
Lazy people don't go looking for music that will never see any form of radio play.
>>
>>61055713
>The most challenging form of music

challenging in what way
>>
>>61055734
it can be kind of hard to listen to
>>
>>61055708
listening to other people do it is inspiring. or there are people that have a greater technical understanding of some instrument that allows them to better create a desired mood or setting.
>>
>>61055734
give me one unprepared person who listened all the way thru the noise album
>>
>>61055734
he meant to write challenged
>>
>>61055665
>words

you sound like an actual faggot anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRM_Wyj7elI
>>
File: 1444634828015.jpg (6 KB, 233x206) Image search: [Google]
1444634828015.jpg
6 KB, 233x206
>>61055807
ayyyy
>>
>>61055665
If you like noise "because of its sonic intensity and the clear strength of the feeling going into the artwork," isn't that liking it for the literal product?

It's silly to say noise should only be appreciated idealistically, I like noise because I like how it sounds.
>>
>>61055713
>Lazy people don't go looking for music that will never see any form of radio play.

>change channels
>tune into merzbow radio
>find out you just haven't tuned the radio frequency up properly
>>
I was always a fan of music with a bunch of distortion so I guess it only makes sense that naturally I would grow to like noise music. I also think it is key to start with albums that have noise elements but are not strictly noise albums like Rock Dream by Boris and Merzbow or any of Yellow Swans' albums. The first noise album I liked was Sissy Spacek's self-titled, which made sense since I was listening to a lot of The Locust at the time. From there, I started to like noise more and more

It's all about approaching it from the genres that you like the most. There's quite a few noise artists that take influence from other genres and incorporate them
>>
>>61055284
You just listen to music for the talent? That's pretty shallow lol
>>
>>61055903
This.
Clipping honestly did a lot to get me into harsh noise and the like. Before them I was more into bands that had some noisy elements or flirted with actual noise from a rock perspective.
>>
To all the shitlords that think noise takes no instrumental talent, what is more impressive?

Being extremely talented and pouring all of that talent into a song/album,
Or,
Having no "formal" understanding of music and producing a peice of music using nothing raw emotion. Your emotions are no longer held back by what the modern world considers "real" music and you are now able to communicate at an emotional level with others in its purest form.
>>
>>61054564
isn't it though? what is rapping? rapping used to be slang for talking.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vugqRAX7xQE
>>
>>61056189
false dichotomy and obvious bait or obviously lacking critical thought
>>
>>61055888
i mean "intensity" isn't concrete or quantifiable so I don't think so. Also I don't only like the ideologies of noise but the way these concepts complement the abrasive sounds
>>
Was looking for King Krule's thread on /mu/, but fuck man stuck on this thread for an hour waiting and reading the replies and eventually downloading Pigdaddy and Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement.

If you think noise isn't music, keep that in your mind dude. I'm not a fan of harsh noise but I like something destructive, something like big explosion or one big powerful comet hits on car and wreck it into pieces, wrecked race car, mad max etc etc. Tried listen to noise 2 years ago, fuck man my ears almost bleeding, my mind was like melting and things just went wrong. But day by day you'll get it, your mind eventually change its perspective and noise is actually feels good at certain time. It just simply like that, one day you'll get it.
>>
does anyone else find themselves in the: "I don't even listen to noise, but I hate pretentious faggots like OP" category?
>>
>>61055837
It's sometimes hard to talk about "art: and "what it is" without sounding that way, I'm realizing
>>
>>61056322
Same.
>>
>>61056306
>It just simply like that, one day you'll get it.
Or maybe you won't, in which case, who cares? Just move on to something else that you do enjoy and don't bother getting hung up on the stuff you don't enjoy.
>>
>>61056385
Yea man
>>
>>61056327
it's okay, it's a hard subject to talk about without sounding like a fruit, i share the same sentiments but don't appreciate art if it's juvenile in execution with "meaning" and shit having to support the merits of it's aesthetic.
>>
Much like other forms, music becomes art when it's framed as such.
That's basically it.
That doesn't make it good or worth anyone's time, it just makes it art. No other intrinsic value.
>>
>>61056455
Yeah I don't like anything that just has "meaning" behind it, that is for sure. I think the presentation should complement its meaning, and not seem completely disconnected from it. I think in the case of noise and a lot of visual art, it's not that hard to draw the association between the artwork and its meaning. But lots of the silly performing art and stuff is not for me, yeah
>>
So, what's the whole point of noise "music", though?
>>
File: download.png (304 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
download.png
304 KB, 600x600
>>61057501
textures. why do you think the album art is often that of a texture?
>>
>>61057501
what's the whole point of impressionism?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.