[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think about Beatles rip offs like XTC, Oasis,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 460x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 460x325
What does /mu/ think about Beatles rip offs like XTC, Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, etc?
>>
>>61040210
>XTC
Great band, possibly the most consistant band of the 1980's
>Oasis
Some good songs, some good albums, nothing really great
>Blur
The best band to come out of britpop, willing to change up their sound and just talented song writers
>Radiohead
I get the appeal, but they don't click with me, it's mostly Thom Yorke's vocals and oyrics that put me off.
>>
>>61040296
You like the singer from XTC's voice but not Thom Yorke from Radiohead? wat
>>
how are blur and radiohead (apart from the sexy sadie song) beatle rip offs

if we are talking about beatle rip offs where are the entire E6 for the most part
>>
>>61040375

Olivia Tremor Control always struck me as more of a Beach Boy/The Millenium rip off
>>
Every band post-1964 is a Beatles ripoff.
>>
Oasis is a Beatles rip off, the others aren't at all.

> tow OP doesn't even know The Soft Boys or The La's
>>
>>61040438
>The La's
Literally who? Next you'll tell me The Denists were Beach Boy rip offs...
>>
>>61040417
how
all of the songs on dusk at cubist castle strike me as white album beatles
>>
>>61040486
Focus on vocal harmonies, like the beach boys
>>
>anything by Radiohead
>Beatles ripoff

Yeah you're right, Amnesiac sounds just like the Beatles
>>
>>61040210
Xtc's pretty good. Their harmonies are some of my favorite in pop.
Radiohead always seemed more smith-esque to me? Their pop side is their least interesting aspect in any case.
Blur and Oasis never clicked for me. And since they are pop bands and immediate appeal is basically their job, I've always just concluded that they were both awful.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>61040438
>the others aren't at all.
Have you even heard to album? It's the Sgt Pepper/Pet Sounds of the 80s...
>>
>>61040529
lol idiot read the wiki for ok computer, theres a whole section dedicated to how much the were influenced by beatle songs, even gives you the song titles
>>
>>61040341
XTC had two singers, Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding. Both of them have, not really punk voices but it's kind of in that vein- they sound like normal people. Thom Yorke gets croony and that turns me off.
>>
>>61040562
Not even their best album
>>
>>61040296
> definitely maybe
> nothing really great
>>
>>61040520
>Beach Boys invented vocal harmonies
>>
>>61040605
You must have fucked hearing because Andy partridge does not sing normally , he has a very particular nasely weird ass voice
>>
>>61040695
Particular three note descending cadence like that found on nearly all OTC albums? nah
>>
>>61040699
He has a distinct voice no doubt, but he doesn't croon.
>>
File: MI0000176442.jpg (18 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0000176442.jpg
18 KB, 399x400
also if we are talking beatle copycats then this is your #1 source of it
>>
>>61040735
It fits the dpressing nature of the music, while XTC is more sarcastic and witty, more pop
>>
>>61040668
Honestly I think Oasis have some better than average albums, they're a good band. Something about them just never really worked with me, I just don't ever find myself listening to them.
>>
>>61040603
A couple songs influenced by the Beatles doesn't make the whole band a rip off
>>
>>61040792
As I said, I understand the appeal of Radiohead, I get what Thom's doing it's just not my thing. XTC are 100% a pop band and that's something that is more in line with how I listen to music. Radiohead just get a little too slow and dreary, maybe a bit too 'alternative rock' too for me, I can apreciate what they do but it's not necessarily my thing.
>>
>>61040913
>XTC are 100% a pop band

a few songs from the big express sound like remain in light / discipline
>>
>>61040913
Well I feel bad for you not being able to apperciate languid sort of art rock, lets me appreciate XTC more, which best album hardly stands up to OK Computer
>>
>>61040858
They also happen to be British
>>
>>61040946
Yeah, I guess they aren't 100% pop at all times, they can be pretty experimental if they want. But in general, overall, the better part of their discography is coming from a pop state of mind. Also I'd say Talking Heads definitely have some top notch pop songwriting as well.
>>
>>61040375
nana grizol?
>>
>>61040983
I can apreciate dark "art rock". Radiohead just don't do it for me, I prefer their influences and their contempories much more. Also which XTC would you consider the best? Skylarking? Because I consider English Settlement by far their greatest statement.
>>
>>61040792
that's what he's fucking saying dude
>>
>>61041103
Never used the word 'dark' but OK, and yes, skylarking is far and away the best material I've heard from them
>>
>>61041140
Try English Settlement then get back to me
>>
XTC and Blur were Kinks* rip-off

*the best 60 brit band
>>
>>61041110
the whiny drones of Thom Yorke are more akin to me than Andy partridge, although I do enjoy him a lot. I like the whole hazy psychedelic dirge approach, that's what it feels like to smoke pot, and that's what I like to do listening to radiohead
>>
>>61041201
I love The Kinks, Blur and XTC. Get on my level you elitist fag.
>>
>>61041175
I've heard English settlement, still not better than dark sea, which is nowhere near as good as skylarking
>>
>>61041251
I'm no elitist, just making something clear.
It's badge of honor for me to rip-off the Kinks really.
>>
>>61041298
I was joking when I called you an elitist, but I'm glad that you can apreciate Blur and XTC as well.

>>61041259
To each his own, takes all kinds to make the world go round. +1 for enjoying Black Sea that much though, one of their most overlooked albums.
>>
>>61041501
Thanks! The more artists you understand and apperciate the more you'll love music. I hope you can get into ok computer because it's not #1 on RYM for nothing... vocals n all
>>
>>61041620
I like Radiohead. I've just never went through a thing where I listened to a lot of Radiohead, I've never really got into them. I've heard Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac but none of them have had a lasting effect on me, just not my thing. Hell, I even own the 2cd special edition box of Kid A, not that I went out of my way to get it, it was just cheap in the clearence section. But hey, maybe one day they'll click with me totally and I'll be able to apreciate them the way you do, definitely wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.
>>
>>61041770
I like Radiohead because their music discusses existeianl philopshy, very poignantly I might add (Let Down) and rock your face off freak out shit (electioneering) plus all the studio trickery, effects pedals
>>
>>61040210
is that Aaron on the left?
>>
>>61041014
Damn! You're right.
>>
>oasis a beatles rip off

No. Kill yourself
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.