[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is perfect electronic pop, how can someone hate this i don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7
File: Grimes_Cover.jpg (239 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Grimes_Cover.jpg
239 KB, 1000x1000
This is perfect electronic pop, how can someone hate this i don't understand? Please explain without using memes
>>
its corny
>>
>>61039632
how?
>>
>>61039619
It's aight, but I feel it's a step down from Visions.

Visions was a lot more experimental (although not super experimental) and more adventurous, Art Angels I actually cringed when it got to California, because it was so Radio Disney® -esque. And I listened to it as soon as it came out to not be affected by what critics say or anything.

It's just kind of unambitious, but not a bad album. Definitely not as good as Visions though
>>
>>61039619
I agree. It's an electronic pop masterpiece. No matter if you like electronic pop or not, you can't deny the quality of the songs / melodies / beats / etc.
>>
>>61039713
>unambitious
I agree with everything you said except this. You can acuse Art Angels of anything but not sounding ambitious. California was indeed fucking terrible.
>>
>>61039619
I think it's an amazing album.
This and the new Neon Indian are my favourites of the year.
I do like kpop though so feel free to discriminate.
>>
>>61039619
Belly of the beat was a great track. I love downplayed pop songs and the acoustic guitar, with the soft beat and the low chorus. Mmmm.
>>
>>61040115
Its such a great song. I hope she does a music video for it.
>>
>>61040055
>California was indeed fucking terrible.
...Am I the only one that likes California and Scream.
>>
>>61040288
Nothing wrong with california
>>
>>61040242
So good. I think it's great it's just SUCH a departure from Visions, I don't think we were ready for a lot of it. Easily, California, and Venus Fly were tracks that I feel like you just CAN'T expect certain fans to approach after Oblivion and Genesis.

I hate the new version of REALiTi. The demo is essentially perfect, and Life in the Vivid Dream should've been longer. Such a disappointment that it's an interlude.
>>
It's literally just a watered down Visions
>>
>>61040288
love california, not really into scream though
>>
>>61040288
Scream was so fucking weird...California got less cringey after more listens.
>>
>>61040288
Scream is legitimately one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life.
Rest of the album is ok though.
>>
>>61040373
>Scream was so fucking weird
It is, and it's really out of place, but I like it, and that's been reinforced I think by how many people have said it's terrible.
>>
>>61040423
I don't hate it. It's weird, but how can you say no to Taiwanese rap?
>>
>>61039619
>Electronic pop
>pop
there's your problem.
>>
>>61039619
sounds too happy for me

too poppy
>>
>>61040423
only good song on the record
>>
I hate her high-pitched, annoying voice
>>
>>61040055
It's just a lot more conforming than what she's done in the past, so it seems more unambitious than her previous albums which seemed like she really wanted to try something new.
>>
E•MO•TION is better, OP
>>
>>61039619
I'm in between thinking it's a really good, obtuse pop record and thinking it's uninspired, "safe" pop music that takes no risks and was made to appeal to the lowest denominator.
>>
Most of the first half of the album is worthless. Scream, California, Pin, Easily, Belly of the Beat and those snoozy intro tracks at the beginning are all non-starters
>>
>>61040560
No, that's actually your problem. You dismiss an entire genre because you're narrow-minded.
>>
vocals are shit
>>
>>61039619
Good album, but I absolutely loathe her voice
>>
>>61042038
is it her "voice" though? isn't it altered, like crystal castles?
>>
>>61040348
I don't care for the album but this is a really dumb criticism. The album's production is way more maximal and varied and doesn't sound much like visions at all.
>>
her songs feel so good and fun
>>
first of her albums where i can actually stand her voice. a few songs are fine but it's still grating
>>
>>61040288
shit taste m8
>>
>>61040288
Can't get into California for whatever reason. Every other track on that album is fantastic. Visions is one of my favorite albums so it doesn't quite hold up but still good.
>>
>>61039619
i touch myself with mayo while listening to this record TtBbHh F.A.M
>>
>>61039713
I liked California a lot. I liked every song except Scream a lot.
Art Angels sounds more like a collection of songs than a thought out album, and I would understand that you or anyone would prefer Visions over it in this aspect, but it is a great collection while Visions fails to be a great album.
Take Scream, the only lazily produced, "weird" pop song; whose only statement is the quirkiness of Aristophanes' (actually fairly decent) delivery. And it's stuck in the beginning of the album, so the momentum built by the mysterious layered, orchestral intro and bubblegum-ish sweet and catchy California is killed by it.
Personally I almost drop the album at that point, because I thought that was all Grimes had to offer, but then it evolves into a bunch of very catchy and tight synthpop tunes like singles glued together to form a release that's only really an album in length.
Grimes really up her songwriting and production, as well as her delivery; Visions was "weirder" but only in appearance, and I would even say that AA is more experimental because Grimes could have settled for the "quirky" image that the fans of Visions had embraced and release a more or less bland and pretentious album, but instead she took it upon herself to learn, experiment and find new instruments and abilities to write more soulful and "risky" pop music.
>>
>>61043712
this is how i feel too
>>
>>61043761
wow my post is long, i can't believe you read it
you must be as high as me
>>
>>61043712
i agree with everything you said and you explained it better than i could've
>>
>>61043761
>>61043890
c-come on guys
you're embarrassing me...
>>
Grimes albums take awhile to get into. Give it a couple more weeks and /mu/ will be throwing praise at it.
>>
I listened to a song

it was literally Taylor Swift.
>>
>>61044141
>I don't need to listen to an album to know what it's like!
>>
>>61044261
I listened to another song Realiti and it was literally that really shitty pop that was popular in the 90s like Belinda Carlisle...

And then I listened to Kill V Maim and it was like electropop Avril Lavrigne or Gwen Stafani

Do you guys really think this is unique, good, or expiremental? It's really, really, generic. Even by electropop indie standards.
>>
>>61039619
I think its honestly obnoxious, the vocals on songs like Kill V. Maim are unlistenable
>>
>>61044413
>literally that really shitty pop that was popular in the 90s like Belinda Carlisle
that's very rich, out of the blue this particular song is comparable to belinda carlisle so natuarlly it's shit.
>Kill V Maim and it was like electropop Avril Lavrigne or Gwen Stafani
>Do you guys really think this is unique, good, or expiremental? It's really, really, generic. Even by electropop indie standards.
oh boy. i better pack my arguments quick and leave this website before it's too late now! but first let me get it straight: this particular track on the album is, again out of the blue, comparable to Avril Lavigne and Gwen Stefani, so it's generic by electropop indie standards.

well done! now you're not only discrediting an album you haven't even heard on the basis that it sounds (to you) like mainstream pop music you don't even seem bother listening to either, but also attacking "electropop" or "electropop indie" (you really should come up with a less generic name for your made up genre) with some out-of-your-ass retarded rethoric! I'm not even sure that you realise that you're shitposting anymore
>>
>>61044141
None of those comparisons are even remotely close
Yeah the album is very poppy but those don't even bear much of a reminiscence at all
>>
>>61043712
>would even say that AA is more experimental
>Grimes
>Experimental
Pick one
>>
its a pretty good album. people are mad that its just more pop than some of her old stuff. that being said, i think fans praise it more than they should for the same reason and maybe see it as more interesting than any other pop album
>>
>>61045348
The album is shit mane come to terms
>>
>>61045999
certainly her music isn't the most innovative, not even within the genre; i mean, is it synthpop? yes, and it certainly isn't out there in terms of structure or harmony, but it's still resourceful, it's original and it's self produced, it brings new stuff to the table, there's a vast and naïf vocal style ranging from playful, nasal and high pitched to serene exhalations, there are screams, layered instrumentation and polyrhythm beats.
synthpop is a genre that's stayed relevant by recycling simple patterns, beats, synth arpeggios, mellow vocals like grimes delivered in previous releases.

>>61046027
literally literally shitposting (yes, literally literally) isn't going to prove anything anon
>>
I just can't enjoy the new version of Realiti. Maybe if I had of never listened to the original maybe I would I have liked the album version but as it is it just sounds like a step down to me and for that reason ruins the whole thing.
>>
>>61039619
it's ok. i'm sure /mu/ didn't listen to it though.
>>
I don't hate it anymore. I think like many, we were put off initially due to the sheer shock of so much pop even though she kept saying she is 'alternative pop'. Well, she finally proved just that and it took a lot of people by surprise and caused them to take a step back.

For me, after several listens, you start to notice more details and the appreciate the production. From there, you start to just simply enjoy each song for what it is. Next thing you know, you actually like the album.

In fact, the song I hated the most, Flesh, is now one of my favorites. But I still think World Princess Part II is the song that's closest in 'sonic signature' to what was done on visions. It also happens to be my favorite song on the album.

Over all, I really enjoy AA. That concludes my book report. Thank you.
>>
>>61039619
too guitar heavy

inherently nothing wrong with that but she's in over her head
>>
File: X4K9KSz.jpg (45 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
X4K9KSz.jpg
45 KB, 500x544
Are /mu/'s assholes ready for her huge cock and cum loads?
>>
>>61046027

You, me and a fight to the death. How dare you speak such filth about m'lady!
>>
>>61046961

I'd lash out against you but its starting to become obvious that you're the type of poster who needs to be negative as that's the only method you've learned that gains attention-even though its negative attention. This behavior speaks to your lack of self worth most likely attributed to poor parenting (absent or abusive father). I'm sorry you feel so down in life and have to resort to such tactics. I truly hope you find a way to grow beyond this and find happiness. One easy way to get there is to listen to ArtAngels. Its an amazing album that is sure you bring you countless joy.
>>
>>
>>61047002
>typing all that
Who says I was being negative? I like cock
>>
>>61047112

Does it remind you of your daddy? Is that why, anon?
>>
i love this album fuqq u all

visions was never that good anyway
>>
>>61043712
>Art Angels sounds more like a collection of songs than a thought out album
So radio pop.
>>
>>61047005
first I've read this

I'll stick with the true queen of 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsi2xvbTwQw
>>
>>61047005
sure, artistic integrity isn't important anyway
>>
>>61047128
>not liking cock
GAY
>>
>>61047005
Fucking sell out.

t. broke Mexican in Hacienda Heights, L.A.
>>
>>61047135
yes, very worse from real patrician albums!
>>
It's just bland and devoid of personality. It sounds like standard pop with Grimes vocals. im not interested in it
>>
I definitely think this will be her last good album tho

next one will be massive cuz she be chasing that jew money

might catch her on tour while there's still a chance it will be fun. and not horribly overpriced
>>
>>61047190
It's the truth, why so butthurt?
>>
>>61043712
fuck off claire
>>
>>61047185
My nigga
I'll assume you live in shitty part of Hacienda and not the nice part
>>
>>61047205
It's already overpriced. You need to pay extra for those shit dancers nobody likes.
>>
I saw Grimes at a Whole Foods store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told zer how cool it was to meet zer in person, but I didn’t want to be a straight white male and bother zer and ask zer for photos or anything.
Zhe said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but zhe kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing zer hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard zer say "welcome to realiti" as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Grimes trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen milk-free cocoa bars in zer hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first zhe kept pretending to be oppressed by the patriarchy and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, zhe stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterenth,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, zhe kept interrupting her by whispering really loudly.
>>
File: gueth who.png (129 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
gueth who.png
129 KB, 666x666
>>
>>61040756

really? i really like her voice.
>>
>>61040880

ive been listening to both all day.
>>
I found most of the songs pay off in a fun poppy way that a lot on Visions did not. I've heard this isn't Grimes' favorite kind of music and she does it "because people like it" but I think she's a truly great pop talent. I wish I heard this on the radio.
>>
>>61048269

is that her pimple?
>>
not the biggest grimes fan but i enjoyed this album.

i like to imagine that its a soundtrack to an anime, something that the character on the front would be in.
>>
didn't she rewrite the entire album because people didn't like one of her singles tho?

kind of hard to respect that
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 450x450
>>61039619
This is perfect electronic pop. Art Angels comes up mediocre in all areas.
>>
>>61049021
C R I N G E
>>
>>61049033
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
File: Snapchat-3666455298241759564.jpg (263 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3666455298241759564.jpg
263 KB, 1080x1920
>>61039619
>>
>>61047430
>getting this buttblasted over someone not liking grimes
Mu has gone to shit
>>
>>61049007
No, goddamn how many times i must repeat it?
she scrapped it because she felt it was too sad, and this happened before she released Go, so at the time Go was released she was already working on Art Angels
>>
>>61049931
Okay anon I didn't know

I like the album, I just thought that would be kinda lame
>>
>>61049576
>literally an unironically responding to a copypasta

/mu/ really has gone to shit.
>>
The hooks annoy me more than anything. The production is a slight step up from Visions, but the songwriting does nothing to complement it.
>>
>>61050453
Some bits are incredibly grating. Especially the "CAAAAAAAAAAALIFORNIA" and the chorus of Kill v Maim. They really piss me off to an irrational extent.
>>
idk man this album just makes me happy

flesh w/o blood, kill v maim, artangels, realiti, venus fly and butterfly are all certified BANGERZ imho
>>
Her voice is either screeching and unpleasant or just sounds like run of the mill Charli XCX shit.
>>
>>61050785
Hello, Reddit!
>>
>>61050853
>just sounds like run of the mill Charli XCX shit

this is literally a recycled fantano comment

how does a human being become this much of an embarrassment
>>
>>61050882
I haven't even watched the Fantano review of Art Angels, retard. Which means that at least two people have come to the conclusion that Grimes sounds like run of the mill Charli XCX shit. Ouch.
>>
File: spork.jpg (67 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
spork.jpg
67 KB, 450x450
>laughing and not being normal
>>
>>61050853
>>61050882
>>61051023
And I don't mean to say that it sounds BAD, it just sounds like generic pop, instead of the cool experimental stuff she was doing before. I'm not opposed to generic pop, but I wouldn't make a Charli XCX thread on /mu/, you know?
>>
>>61040288
California is shit, Scream is amazing. Guess I'm in the minority here.
>>
it sounds like generic pop, and is really cringy at times (california, scream, laughing and not being normal, kill v maim). it's really just bad music
>>
>>61051177
you suck
>>
>>61047298
I have a ticket to see her next March and I thought it was reasonable.
£30 considering it's at a large venue and she's kinda a big name. Fuck, a ticket to see some shitty tribute bands in a pub were going for £10 in my city recently
>>
>>61051787
Whereabouts you seeing her? I wanna go but looks like Bristol is sold out... the only other one I could reasonably get to is Birmingham but I'd have to train it + stay the night which is gonna get expensive
>>
>>61052045
Got a ticket for the Bristol show.
One of my mates who wants to go too got up like 6am to buy the tickets the day they went on sale
>>
>>61051177
I'll give you Scream and California but the rest of the album is a good time
>>
Hearing a snippet of Scream is ironically what drew me into listening to the album, and it turned out to be the worst song on it. If it actually developed in any way it might be interesting

Rest of the album is baller
>>
>>61039619
Because if you listen to this, you're forever a homosexual SJW and you're all of what's wrong with this world. Why?
>Grimes wouldn't flash her tits and invite me backstage if I shouted "MARRY ME!!!" at a show
>Grimes thinks "sellout" is a rich white guy term
>Grimes herself is a darling of SJW Tumblrite "hipsters", thus forbidding you to like it
If you like this album, you are scum of the earth and you might as well listen to Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz, since it's on a comparable tier of "art".
>>
>>61053697
nothing wrong with listening to miley cyrus and her dead petz
>>
>>61053697
>Grimes wouldn't flash her tits and invite me backstage if I shouted "MARRY ME!!!" at a show

you realize that was the gvrl from chvrches right
>>
>>61053788
They're all SJW bitches who are exactly alike. There's no difference between them, their music, their ideologies, or the fact that Tumblr kids think they're so hip for following something vapid with more than 1,000,000 views on YouTube.

>>61053752
Uh, maybe there is? It IS shit, made by some other vapid pop princess who just shaved her head and started posing nude like a "bad girl". Oh, wait, I forgot; it's "artsy" shit, so that makes it valid as music.
>>
>>61039619
5.5/10
It loses it's flavor after repeated listens.
All in all not worth it.
>>
I've learned through this post and many others that if the subject is Grimes, it won't die at least until it hits 100 replies.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.