[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, believe it or not, but I'm writing a 4000 word
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
163 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /mu/, believe it or not, but I'm writing a 4000 word paper on vaporwave for a course in digital anthropology. So now I'm looking for sources. Please throw anything vaporwavey, preferably suitable for long, academic bullshitting, my way. Analyses, texts, interesting albums, anything works.
>>
>>61031860
>So now I'm looking for sources
You're in luck. Most of it should be easily found on-line on shitty music sites and random blogs.
>>
the obvious one
https://youtu.be/PdpP0mXOlWM
also you can search in /r/vaporwave, there are some genre discusions, the hjstory and consistency of it, the legaloty and more stuff, make sure to upload the final work, it seems interesting
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 393x259) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21 KB, 393x259
>>61031893
I have some stuff already, see pic. Just looking for more, maybe less easy to find stuff.
>>
>>61031860
go fuck yourself
>>
>>61031941
rolling stones magazine have a commentary on 2 8 1 4 and the genre, u should search
>>
There's nothing intellectual you can write about Vaporwave, let alone in 4000 words.
>>
>4000 word essay on slowed down Diana Ross songs
why?

And you just know you're going to write some pretentious nonsensical drivel like:

>Vaporwave is a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication and a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995
>>
>>61032006
>4000 word essay on slowed down Diana Ross songs
nice meme
>>
>>61032006
>>61031981
The underlying ideas are actually pretty interesting (global capitalism, accelerationism, etc). Beyond that, the ambiguity about whether it's just a joke or actually in some way serious is also pretty fascinating imo. Read this (it's the main source I'm using right now): http://www.dummymag.com/features/adam-harper-vaporwave

>>61031967
Thanks, didn't have this one yet!
>>61031935
also very useful, thank you.
>>
You have to talk about James Ferraro and Hippos In Tanks.

http://www.thefader.com/2015/04/17/how-hippos-in-tanks-ushered-avant-garde-music-into-the-21st-century
>>
http://www.dummymag.com/features/adam-harper-vaporwave
>>
I have a vaporwave radio show on my college radio, if you wanna ask about that?
>>
>>61032035
wow, you're mad

truth hurts i guess
>>
>>61032513
i actually know enough to not be mad to a classic meme, keep trying and i will tell you if i get mad
>>
>>61032569
The only reason it's a meme is because it's actually true though.
>>
>>61032678
>memes
>being the truth
k
>>
>>61031860
Watch this its not totally shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpP0mXOlWM
>>
>>61033313
whatever makes you feel better buddy
>>
>>61031860
ins't vapowave dead?
>>
>>61031860
are you going to capitalize that disgusting title
>>
>>61032062
Vaporwave was not created as social commentary for capitalism. That shit was made up by people who over-analyze the shit out of everything.
>>
>>61036565
Quote:
Over email, Burnett is a staunch anti-capitalist rather than an accelerationist per se. Referencing the French thinker associated the Situationist movement and involved in the aesthetics and ideology of the 1968 protests, he says that with INTERNET CLUB he wanted to do “something very Debordian, about how this capitalistic society has generated a dehumanizing hyperreality by focusing on infinite generation of ideals as shown through commodities. I view society as entering a hyperreal state, and how it has is part of what INTERNET CLUB is about.” IC tracks usually take stock music and music from corporate YouTube videos and degrade them somehow, with effects such as reverb, compression or glitchy looping, which achieves “the defamiliarisation of things we’ve become so use to that we don’t notice them any more”. Corporate culture, he summarises, has lead contemporary society to “deny justice in the name of appeasement and false promises”.

http://www.dummymag.com/features/adam-harper-vaporwave

so doesn't seem too far fetched. it has its ridiculous side, but that uncertainty about whether it's serious is what makes it worth looking into
>>
>>61032006
>im proud of being uneducated
>>
>>61036985
While we have this thread, can someone post the vaporwave chart?
>>
>>61031860
There's that neo-retro-futurism article up on TMT right now that might be worth looking into. Their stuff is always overflowing with academic bullshitting. Also yeah capitalize your shit it's freaking me out
>>
>>61031860
I've been wanting for some time write a paper on the different identities on /mu/ aka rap memeists vs dadrockers vs poptimists calling each other plebeians. It's not my field of study so I don't know the proper methodology tho, digital anthropology sounds interesting.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.