[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is butt. The version of Wonderful is kind of interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: SmileySmileCover.jpg (171 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
SmileySmileCover.jpg
171 KB, 300x300
This album is butt.

The version of Wonderful is kind of interesting but nowhere as near as good as the version on SMiLE.

"She's Going Bald" is kind of interesting but I find it funny that it is written by Mike Love who berated Brian Wilson for writing "druggy" songs when this is the druggiest song on the album.

The attempt to be "funny" and make jokes fell flat in this album.
>>
Didn't realize I wrote "kind of interesting" twice, excuse me.
>>
>>61029328
Op is a plebian
>>
>>61029356
I feel as though anyone who defends this album is just frustrated that this was there only way to listen to anything SMiLE related for so long.

The SMiLE Sessions kicks the shit out of this album.
>>
>>61029415
Smile Smile was uniquely mixed and a last minute effort, I feel like it's a more interesting album than 'what could have been', I enjoy the lo fi minimal aesthetic
>>
Would Sung Tongs even exist if not for "Wind Chimes"?
>>
>>61029445
I recognize that those who like it like it for it's lo fi sensibility but don't you feel like that unnlike lo fi music that was created to be that way that it feels kind of cheap? It wasn't meant to be like that. They were supposed to be lush, musical landscapes and they just watered it down
>>
>>61029328
the druggyness and random cuts of she's going bald is probably mike love trying to mock the editing and fragented sound brian wilson was going for with the actual smile album. furthermore it was partly stolen from a smile outtake fragment, but without the van dyke park lyrics. for a 1967 summer of love psychadelic track, the mike love's 'funny' lyrics are awfully anti-drug and paranoid
>>
>>61029328
>She's Going Bald
>Druggy
its an anti drug song though?

Also that's a good album. Paul McCartney eats Celery on it.

also >>61029445 is right
>>
>>61029328
It's not as good as SMiLE but it's an incredibly interesting approach to this material in the context of the much more elaborate arrangements and song structures of SMiLE.
It's a bizzare and Lo fi but still incredibly well crafted album where the material is done in a much more lighthearted and unusual way in comparison to the more serious "teenage symphony to God" tier SMiLE versions.
From that point of view, it's enjoyable and provides some interesting perspective on how Brian could reimagine his own songs but of course, you're right in saying that it pales in comparison to SMiLE.
>>
>>61029328
>This album is butt
Nah. You just don't get it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.