[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was thinking this afternoon and I realized something. Vampire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: grant_g_vampweekend_60011.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
grant_g_vampweekend_60011.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
I was thinking this afternoon and I realized something.

Vampire Weekend are just a hipster version of coldplay
>>
They're not even "hipster". What does that even mean?
>>
>>61022553
ummmm yes they r
>>
>>61022777
What does hipster even mean in this context
>>
They're a hipster version of Paul Simon you pleb.
>>
>>61022484
Vampire Weekend are pretty one of a kind. To compare once Jeff Buckley/U2 rip offs turned top 40 floppers to them is pretty fucking off base.
>>
>>61022484
since when were Coldplay making african inspired indie?
>>
>>61022963
>indie
That's not an actual thing you know.
>>
File: foster-the-people-torches.jpg (121 KB, 585x585) Image search: [Google]
foster-the-people-torches.jpg
121 KB, 585x585
they are also literally the same band as foster the people
>>
>>61022977
Eh whatever, you got what I meant.
>>
>>61022484
You think vapid, stupid thoughts. You should do less of it
>>
File: fedora euphoria.gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
fedora euphoria.gif
2 MB, 230x172
>>61023034
>leave the deep listening to the intellectuals of indieheads
>>
>>61023004
I don't think I did actually. Also, the baroque classical influence is much more consistent and upfront for them yet people still focus on the Afro-Pop stuff.
>>
>>61023080
Fedora isn't a rebuttal man. Vampire Weekend and Coldplay have next to nothing in common. Not to mention Vampire Weekend has B-Sides better than anything Coldplay has released.
>>
Foster the People, Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective, and the Residents are all the same band at different levels of accessibility
>>
>>61023158
what
>>
>>61023158
>these four bands that sound nothing alike are the same band
>>
>>61023158
true tho
>>
>>61023206
no
>>
>>61023118
Vampire Weekend and Coldplay both make straightforward pop rock music that incorporates just enough "outsider" elements to make their target demographics feel unique compared to other members of their target demographics. Coldplay fans feel they are listening to deeper pop rock music than the wider mainstream culture, and Vampire Weekend fans feel they are listening to deeper pop rock music than their peers. Yes, sonically, Coldplay veers more towards stadium rock, but that's a matter of marketability and scalability of their sound as well as a reflection of the era of rock music sales they came to prominence in than anything. The differences between Vampire Weekend and Coldplay are ultimately minimal to anyone who listens to music of a wider spectrum than the typical Pitchfork or Stereogum reader, who coincidentally is also the target listener of VW's music.
>>
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.
>>
>>61022814
this
>>
>>61023220
>The differences between Vampire Weekend and Coldplay are ultimately minimal to anyone who listens to music of a wider spectrum than the typical Pitchfork or Stereogum reader
Interesting. So you're saying that the more music you listen to the less you're able to tell things apart. I would think it would be the opposite.
>>
>>61023158
I hate mu, I hate music writers, I am beginning to even hate talking about music
>>
>>61022982
Except Foster the People is boring as shit and came after Vampire Weekend

Foster the People is responsible for the rise of generic indie rock/pop though
>>
File: 1424398559252.gif (479 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1424398559252.gif
479 KB, 320x180
>>61022484
Except both of those are normal fag bands and by normal fag I mean bands for pleb-tier women that think they're quirky. In other words they're what the shins were ten years ago and what Pavement was ten years before that.
>>
>>61023265
when the breadth of music you survey includes wider and wider genre variation, the minor nitpicking genre classifications common to pop rock music and largely based on sociological and economic standards rather than actual sonic differences and musical theory start to blur together more and more, yes. a person with an ear trained to tell apart the musicologically distinct Carnatic and Hindustani schools of Indian classical music, for example, is not going to be able to keep a straight face when asked to tell the difference between "dream pop" and "shoegaze," two genres separated by virtually no sonic characteristics
>>
>>61023385
jesus christ you're a pretentious cunt.
>>
File: final moments of happiness.gif (1 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
final moments of happiness.gif
1 MB, 360x240
>>61023426
>oh god i don't have anything to say
>better misuse the word pretentious to prove once and for all how much of an idiot i am
>>
>>61023385
>two bands sound different
>n-no you're just projecting sociological and economic differences
lmao

Please tell me what sociological and economic differences people use to differentiate VW and Coldplay if they in fact sound identical.
>>
>>61023437
Definition of PRETENTIOUS for Kids

: trying to appear better or more important than is really the case <a pretentious snob>
>>
VW fans are the ones making up random genre distinctions because they fancy themselves as "into" music because they opt for more "underground" acts. i literally can't hear a difference, but VW fans are insanely more pompous, self-assured, and dickish than Coldplay fans. they're all upwardly mobile yuppie culture vultures who are all getting into hip hop now
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.