[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think this album was mixed terribly? Freedom of Choice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Newtraditionalists.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Newtraditionalists.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
Anyone else think this album was mixed terribly?
Freedom of Choice was mixed pretty crisp, and Oh No! was heavy on bass with prominent synth, but New Traditionalists just sounds "muddy" and overall lackluster. It's like every instrument was mixed to the same exact level.

Remaster when?
>>
bump for DEVO
>>
>>61018916

yeah they had a problem in production cause they tried recording it digitally and it got fucked up somehow
>>
>>61019910
damn..
>>
>>61020557

>New Traditionalists was recorded on a then-new brand of 2" tape from 3M. Unfortunately, when Devo began recording vocals for the album, the edges of the tape had begun to disintegrate. After asking Warner Bros. if they could start over and re-record the album from scratch and being denied, Devo transferred all the work they had done to digital reel-to-reel tape and finished the album via digital recording at The Record Plant in Los Angeles.[4] All of this resulted in New Traditionalists having a murkier and darker sound than previous Devo albums.
>>
>New Traditionalists was recorded on a then-new brand of 2" tape from 3M. Unfortunately, when Devo began recording vocals for the album, the edges of the tape had begun to disintegrate. After asking Warner Bros. if they could start over and re-record the album from scratch and being denied, Devo transferred all the work they had done to digital reel-to-reel tape and finished the album via digital recording at The Record Plant in Los Angeles.[4] All of this resulted in New Traditionalists having a murkier and darker sound than previous Devo albums

While the sound of New Traditionalists does sound muddy, it's never bothered me, and I do think it sort of suits the mood of the album since it is a more darker/serious album than the ones before. Also, the album has been remastered, and the remaster actually made it sound worse. Best sounding version is the Infinite Zero reissue.
>>
>>61020671
Is the Infinite Zero version obtainable somewhere?
>>
>>61020711

amazon.com
>>
>>61020711
it's on What.cd
but I can upload it
what site would work best for you? I know some people hate Mega
>>
>>61020763
mediafire or mega is fine. I'm really curious to hear the sound quality compared to what i have now. you can skip the bonus tracks if any.
>>
>>61020784
https://mega.nz/#!bp0DiSZR!qu4wFw4J3QNAnJoQvKBAvtkj1yIrPVibq37nfJ8TnzQ

Devo really need to remaster their albums albums again, the last ones weren't really that great besides Freedom Of Choice (but that's mainly because the original cd had its own problems. It sounded pretty flat, plus it had some dropouts on some tracks.).

these are the editions I have of each album:
Q&A: wpcd-4169 (Japanese release. Fixes some dropouts found on the original cd release)

DNF: Infinite Zero

FC: 2009 remaster

ONID: WPCP-4174 (Japanese release. Infinite Zero version is terrible besides the bonus tracks. It's like they eq'd that version to sound like New Traditionalists.)

Shout: Some Japanese release of the original release. Infinite Zero has some static on some tracks. Problem with the Japanese release I have is that the stereo field is reversed, so I had to reverse back to the proper way
>>
>>61021199
Thanks a lot friend. Are the other versions you have better than the regular releases? I'm interested in Q+A and DNF. I assume FOC is the same as the one we got?
>>
>>61021232
>Are the other versions you have better than the regular releases?
As far as I know, the ones I have are the best that have been released.

I'll upload Q&A and DNF.

>I assume FOC is the same as the one we got?
Yeah, 2009 remaster is an American release, and you can find it anywhere. It's not the same as what's in the 2008 Japanese Devo boxset.
>>
>>61021420
Much appreciated.

One thing I'm dying to hear but I'm sure will never be released are the Q&A session tapes with Eno's original parts. All I keep reading is that Devo didn't like his parts and mixed them all out. But I can still dream.
>>
bump
>>
>>61021525
https://mega.nz/#!3ksgATrJ!7_WXeu7lZUkVwyxqGy5hON85pqn5zrbl3ycePFETB8o
>One thing I'm dying to hear but I'm sure will never be released are the Q&A session tapes with Eno's original parts. All I keep reading is that Devo didn't like his parts and mixed them all out. But I can still dream.
A remixed version of Q&A with those parts inserted will probably come out of eventually. I remember reading Mark saying that when they were remastering Q&A for the 2009 remaster, he went back and listen to those parts and said that he regretted them not using them because he actually had some really good ideas. I think they were gonna get Brian to help with the remaster, but I think he was busy.

As much as I like Q&A, I've never really been a fan of those versions of Satisfaction and Mongoloid. I prefer the Hardcore versions. Also, Jocko Homo is weird on the album. It's faster than the original single version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmtP6-a3gs

I just want the Devo documentary to come out. It probably won't come out until Mark dies since he's the one keeping it from coming out since he apparently isn't happy with how he's portrayed.
>>
File: DevoOhNoItsDevo.jpg (43 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
DevoOhNoItsDevo.jpg
43 KB, 300x300
I should really listen to more Devo. I really fucking love pic rated and should probably listen to more.

>I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast
>>
>>61022157
Hardcore is great albums. I enjoy the raw sound. Hopefully the doc. comes out at some point as well as a release of Are we Not Men, with those extra parts
>>
>>61022249
Probably my favorite Devo album. Can't help but listen to the whole thing whenever I feel like listening to a song from it. I like how every track practically runs into each other. Keeps a nice steady pace. I wish Shout was more like it.
>>
>>61022249
SHES OUT OF SYNC
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.