[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain Young Thug's appeal? Everyone seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 13
Can someone explain Young Thug's appeal? Everyone seems to see him as the hip hop artist of the year but I just don't get his shit.
>>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/09/17/a-loss-for-words-listening-to-the-post-verbal-brilliance-of-young-thug/
>>
>>61013332
the voice thing he does is interesting
/thread
>>
this is fking retarded.
>>
>>61013490
95% of /mu/ has turned to memerap like this if you're part of the 5% who still listens to REAL HIP HOP like EMINEM, HOPSIN, KENDRICK LAMAR, KANYE WEST, WU-TANG CLAN, MACKLEMORE, and G-EAZY
>>
>>61013529
the only artist you said that's actually good in that post is kanye west
>>
>>61013577

>wu tang and kendrick

>not at the very least good
>>
REAL HIP HOP is dead.

The best rappers now are moving on to post-beat lyrical.

Like these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwwVfY32Z04
>>
>>61013577
>>61013640
>REAL HIP HOP white people taking the bait
>>
File: Fedoradoradora.jpg (121 KB, 540x704) Image search: [Google]
Fedoradoradora.jpg
121 KB, 540x704
>>61013646
thinks a bunch of shitty conscious rapping recycled from the 90s is the future of rap
>>
>>61013640
not that guy, but kendrick is fucking terrible
>>
>>61013662

nah i knew it was b8 but i wanted to scold him for liking wu tang

>>61013691

well you didn't actually listen to that track

>>61013696

i mean personally i don't care for him but he's a good rapper like technically

same with eminem i guess
>>
barter 6 and if you're reading this it's too late sound almost like the same album to me
>>
>>61013691
no one from the 90s had this kind of flow

no one in the 90s made this of beat
>>
>>61013646
At least post good Shabazz Palces retard smfh (Hint: Black Up is their only good album)

Real hip-hop isn't dead btw, we are living it right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAzzv6Ks9nc
>>
>>61013365
what the fuck
what the literal fuck

i want to die now
>>
>>61013730
>muh technical raps
>2015

lmfao i bet you like techn9ne too

get some taste dork
>>
>>61013332
>Everyone seems to see him as the hip hop artist of the year
Only on this board. Thug is good but /mu/ takes it too far.
>>
>>61013805

i said i don't like their music retard
>>
>>61013751
you are really white and you need to start leaving the house more
>>
>>61013776
believe me or not, this beat was made by my 12 year old cousin.

oh look it's him rapping too
>>
>>61013332
He is young and he's a thug. What other appeal do you need?
>>
>>61013751
except that barter 6 is good
>>
>>61013821
here's what you said:
>he's a good rapper like technically
>same with eminem i guess
>>
>>61013836
London On Da Track and Thugger ain't your 12 yo cousin you help jerk off nerd
>>
>>61013872

i also said

>i mean personally i don't care for him
>>
>>61013766
the rapper in Shabazz Palaces is literally a rapper from the 90s you fucking idiot
>>
>>61013332

I don't understand the hype either. He can be interesting because he is so spontaneous and he does unique vocal things. For some reason though, that somehow translated to RAPPER OF THE YEAR.
>>
>>61013905
you said he's a good rapper like technically, stop perpetuating the "technical rapping" meme and giving shit tasteless artists like Eminem attention and acclaim
>>
>>61013834
they both have the same generic beats and they both have the same gay sing/rap thing going on. only difference i see is that young thug sounds marginally more mentally disabled than drake does
>>
No one in hip-hop really brings the same unique kind of energy as him. You and plenty of others might not like him, but he has a interesting flow and is bursts with so much charisma in his songs that its hard not to like him (as long as you're already in to this kind of stuff).
>>
>>61013858
i beg to differ
>>
>>61013963
you are a pussy boi thugger dropped over 50 bangers this year and aint stopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyCTZ8c-trc
>>
>>61013972

look at it this way, kendrick and em are technically good rappers in the same way that steve vai and Yngwie Malmsteen are technically great guitarists

their music may suck but they're obviously talented
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 620x963) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 620x963
Barter 6 is the most important album of this decade. Its barely there production doesn’t so much frame his rapping as it does provide a surface for his words to dance upon, to explore the art of rapping in multiple dimensions: melodically, rhythmically, lyrically, and in terms of composition. His voice glides through the thick absence of sound. He’s responsible for a lot of the songwriting; he knocks out his own hooks, and his writing speaks to his use of phrasing, his backgrounds, the flows he uses, and the way he plays with each song’s internal architecture. On “Halftime,” his car-screech adlibs are elongated—it’s as if a camera panned suddenly from a pinprick of light, causing it to blur—so he can change tones, harmonizing this background yelp with his own main vocals.

His lyrical style stands out in a number of ways; the most obvious is his ear for figurative language. Thug’s similes often build upon familiar imagery, but move in unexpected directions. On “Check,” he opens rapping about a “Mink coat with the rolls like a Shar Pei”; later on, he raps, “All my niggas, they hard, call them beetles.” These aren’t punchlines intended to get rap fans doubling over laughing (although they can be funny in their unpredictability). Thug seems more interested in an original and idiosyncratic approach to imagery, in discovering pathways in language that haven’t already been heavily traveled.

In this, his lyrical approach is closer to a rapper like Raekwon than it is Lil Wayne, with whom Thug is frequently compared through some fault of his own. But any close reading of his lyrics suggest comparisons between The Barter 6 and Wayne’s Carter series, for which it is named, are a total misdirection. Where Wayne shredded his vocals against hip-hop’s formal constraints, Thug is a synthesist, a rapper of control, an artist in the process of reassembly.
>>
File: itried.png (6 KB, 492x255) Image search: [Google]
itried.png
6 KB, 492x255
>>61014044

>opinions
>>
File: 1447298215047.png (37 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1447298215047.png
37 KB, 184x184
>>61014080
>their music may suck
>>
>>61014009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOX2HcR6uY
how the fuck is this generic
>>
File: 1436568250390.jpg (53 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
1436568250390.jpg
53 KB, 680x684
>>61014139

>liking eminem's music
>>
>>61014009
>same generic beats
If you can't observe any difference in the production style of Drake's producers 40 & Boi1da and Thugger's producers London on da Track and Wheezy in terms of form, structure and sound-palette have severe autism, however actually I think actual people on the autistic spectrum probably could tbqh.

>both have the same gay sing/rap thing going on
If you can't observe any difference in the vocalisation of Drake and Young Thug you sound marginally more mentally disabled than Young Thug does senpai
>>
I don't get it either, there's at least 5 other hip hop albums this year that I enjoyed immensely more than Barter 6.
>>
>>61014080
>they're obviously talented
stop perpetuating the "talented" meme and giving shit tasteless artists like Eminem attention and acclaim

IGNORE EM
>>
>>61014044
this could be a great track, if he simplified the beat and learned what the fuck tone is.
>>
>>61014162
That was more for Kendrick he's proven he can make good music. But SSLP is at least a good album so Eminem too.
>>
>>61014206

yeah i'm sure ignoring them will really help rectify the isuation anon

>>61014239

that why i said MAY be shit

i like some kendrick and i felt TPAB was pretty well put together as an album

never like any of em's beats really
>>
>>61014151
this tbqh, it sounds like no other trap beat before it, could you even classify this a trap instrumental? Where is the 808 bass? The traditional rattling hi-hats are almost completely absent. The instrumental is almost completely driven by a bouncing guitar sample and a snare combination along with Thugger's avant-garde vocal rhythm.

Seriously point me to any other track in contemporary trap that sounds anything like this.
>>
>>61014107
I don't know if this is le epic irony but he really does use his voice in more interesting ways than any rapper, combined with deceptively left-field beats. It's like if Fetty Wap was 100x more ambitious and could write a good verse
>>
>>61014107
Your writing is good and it's a shame you're saying nothing.

Drake
>"you can sing, AND rap? at the same time? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeut"

Young Thug
>"you can sing, AND rap? In a weird voice? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeut
>>
>>61013906
>>61013906
>>61013906
still waiting for a response here, asshole
>>
>>61014215
>learned what the fuck tone is
its just too deep for you bro just don't worry man, give up
>>
>>61014307
>contemporary trap
>contemp. trap
>crap
>not a genre
>crap
>>
>>61014341
yup I feel like one of those dudes who used to shit on fusion in the 70s. Trap just sounds awful to me, I don't get it at all.
>>
>>61014362
>le trap is crap meme

haha very funny post my dude :)
>>
>>61014382
>Trap just sounds awful to me, I don't get it at all.
hhahahahaha

When was the last time you went out my dude?
>>
>>61014405
I don't know anyone over 20 who listens to trap so I'm just gonna wait it out.
>>
>>61014467
the people you know probably suck
>>
>>61014467
How about all of my friends that are getting into atm, we're mainly ~25yo

the people you know sound lame and probably never get turnt up
>>
>>61014529
you know what? kinda. My friends from high school listen to trap and they are not lame. My friends from college don't listen to trap and most of them are lame. I think if you're a normie who listens to trap that's a good sign. /mu/tants have better things to listen to.
>>
>>61014628
who you calling a normie, normie
>>
>>61014628
oh wow, you still surround yourself with plain vanilla liberal college swpl faggots no surprises here

>thinks /mu/tants have better taste than normies
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahaha

how delusional are you?

get your own taste and start listening to what you want instead of what the autistic /mu/ hivemind circlejerk approves
>>
>>61014691
you a normie
>>
>>61013332
He's 100% a gimmick, but it's a very well developed gimmick that people seem to like. People like him and Chance the Rapper are like modern day scat singers.
>>
>>61014762
can't fking stand chance the rapper
>>
>>61013805
Kill yourself
>>
>>61014734
normie's music tastes are the only ones that matter
>>
>>61014794
You type like a fag
>>
File: it always ends whre it starts.gif (1 MB, 198x341) Image search: [Google]
it always ends whre it starts.gif
1 MB, 198x341
>>61014734
you know what they say about delusion.
>>
>>61014840
if you want your dick sucked just come out and say it, like a man.
>>
>>61014813
this desu

no-one cares what bedroom shut-ins and avant teen liberal college attending faggots on /mu/ listen to
>>
>>61014734

>get your own taste and start listening to what you want

This. I'm a /lit/ tourist and I have pretty decent taste when it comes to high art across the board, but I listen to trap music all the time.

People who call Young Thug shit and then list other forms of popular music that are better are odd to me. It's like they don't understand that they're merely replacing one form of popular music with another, and quite frankly only plebs are elitist over their choices in popular music. None of it is high art. None of it. So either enjoy it or don't, but get better sources of intellectualism to be elitist over if you really want to play that, because until you do you're only a pleb trying to play pretend at being patrician.
>>
>>61014889
yeah you alright
>>
normies are the only thing we have left
>>
>>61014889
You're a pleb for feeding into the pleb patrician myth, none of this shit matter
>>
>>61014889
yes. you have your own taste and you listen to what you want. others have their own tastes and listen to what they want. where did high art come into the picture?

Young thug is indeed a gimmick, that some people like, and others don't.
>>
>>61014889
this post here tbqh

when I'm not in the mood for intellectual music, my go to is trap, its really fun and well crafted music, especially when hanging out with friends

i can understand that autists on here who use /mu/ exclusively as their social life wouldn't be able to understand that though
>>
>>61015017
>When I'm not in mood for intellectual music
>>
>>61015004

I know that. The dicho means nothing to me.

>>61015006

>where did high art come into the picture?

I'm included it to better frame the conceited laziness of those who try to be pretentious about their choices in popular music. Most of these types don't put in any real work toward exploring high art, so their "elitism" is nothing but middling wankery at the end of the day.
>>
>>61014889
>>61015017
why you fools get so defensive over music you know is bad.

To you, trap is fun well-crafted music. To me, it is not. Since we've established it's not high art, and so can't be appreciated beyond face value, I'm perfectly justified in saying that it's garbage, because to me, at face value, it is garbage.

Different story if you can defend the music on grounds other than _it's fun_. Otherwise people who don't think it's fun (yo), can say it's garbage.
>>
>>61015196
nobody who uses pretentious isn't pretentious.
>>
File: 1449151608371.jpg (31 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1449151608371.jpg
31 KB, 680x680
im so tired of this fucking meme
>>
>>61016505
I'm so tired of moon man meme
>>
https://youtu.be/FGzTob9RTIM?t=84

This is his best friend
>>
>>61013332
its like lil wayne but less annoying
>>
the people who think lyrics dont matter in trap music are idiots
>>
>>61016546
better than a awful pitchfork tier rapper lmao
>>
>>61013332
Its more or less that his flow is an abstraction of your usually flow, and it sounds new and amazing. His lyrics are also great and gucci mane-ish and obviously theres some great production
>>
>>61013640
for me, the temptation to piss off shitty "real hip hop heads" who would die for wu tang outweighs any love i may have for the wu. Plus theyre obviously legends so they can take a few people shitting on them on /mu/
>>
>>61015281

>why you fools get so defensive over music you know is bad.
>To you, trap is fun well-crafted music.

So I know it's bad but to me it's fun and well-crafted too? What?

I don't think it's bad. People take shots at Thugga for having simplistic lyrics or seeming like an illiterate idiot but most of the brilliant Blues artists decades ago were functionally illiterate. Yet they made great music. He actually explores the same type of pathos that those old Blues men did: Getting money, getting loaded, getting bitches.

I think there is a place for it.
I like that Thugga is around.
>>
File: upx9SHr.jpg (70 KB, 387x480) Image search: [Google]
upx9SHr.jpg
70 KB, 387x480
There's nothing genius going on, especially lyrically. He fuckin goes in the studio and spits nonsense on the spot without thinking about it. His appeal is that he's simply a rapper with a unique sound and that has become quite rare nowadays.
>>
>>61017001
its not nonsense you just dont understand it
>>
what is the point of bumping the thread with quoting the OP and giving the same boring-ass opinion everyone else in the thread has already given? holy christ
>>
illiterate kids that never really enjoyed hip hop outside of the technical production/beat like young thug because there is no need to analyze him lyrically and he rides the beat extremely well with his vocal style

if you combine this with young thug being this generation's lil wayne, being what is basically the first major gay rapper, and the hipster media like noisey and pitchfork doing everything they can to stay relevant by propping up mediocre hip hop in our post MBDTF world then its easy to figure it out.
>>
>>61017236

>illiterate kids that never really enjoyed hip hop outside of the technical production/beat like young thug because there is no need to analyze him lyrically

This is laughable confirmation bias.

I bet you actually believe this arrogant bullshit, don't you?
>>
innovative abstract lyricism delivered with the intent to confuse yet invoke thought
>>
>>61017304

>I bet you actually believe this arrogant bullshit, don't you?

yeah
>>
>>61017369

Hah.

Figures.
>>
>>61017236
he says as he sobs whilst cradling his copy of paid in full
>>
>>61017414
>>61017455

laughing and making jokes doesn't mean that i'm wrong. i understand that trash music is hot right now, but i'm not arrogant for seeing through the scheme
>>
>>61014427
he's not wrong for not liking something you do. you don't have to like everything
>>
>>61017563

>i understand that trash music is hot right now

There was never a time when it wasn't.

Bawdy songs existed and were popular even in the ancient world. It has been a constant in the West.

Try to get over yourself.
>>
>>61017869

nah son, its the young thug fans that need to get over themselves. you have clowny 'music writers' deluding people into thinking that listening to young is an intellectual pursuit. i don't care if people like the music for being dumb, but instead they're being tricked into thinking that its smart. the truth must come out in order to protect the children
>>
>>61017967

I like how you completely side-stepped that point of mine.

You goofy little pseudo.
>>
>>61017236
theres no need to analyze his lyrics because his music sounds nice but if you do you'll discover a whole new world
>>
>>61018117

you had no point to make. all you said was that trash music has always existed. i don't disagree with that notion. i just take offense to young thug because hipsters and marketers have hoodwinked everyone into thinking that it isn't trash
>>
>>61017967
>deluding people into thinking that listening to young is an intellectual pursuit
music is pragmatic, it's not an "intellectual pursuit"

>people like the music for being dumb
nobody likes music "for being dumb"
>>
>>61013662
Thissss
>>
>>61018203

>all you said was that trash music has always existed.

Which completely negates the claim that it's hot "right now". Which means your point was no point, as it was refuted by my point. You see that, right?

You should just stop posting. You are shit at it.
>>
>>61018203
How is it trash?
>>
>>61018338

>Which completely negates the claim that it's hot "right now". Which means your point was no point, as it was refuted by my point. You see that, right?

i'm referring to the popularity of it among people that i'd consider to be intelligent, not so much the broad appeal of people that don't really listen to music outside of radio hits. i hope it ends someday
>>
>>61018477

>i hope it ends someday

It'll be a cold day in hell before the rest of the world becomes as anemic and boring as you.
>>
>>61018523
baby im anemic too
a neiman marcus shopperrrrrr
>>
Thugger is a master of the part of hip hop most people are interested in, Persona. He's all about image, right down to the crazy voice.
>>
>>61019136
and rapping
>>
>>61019136

Not only that but he's a genius with melody.

There is a reason why he's one of Andre 3000's favorite rappers going right now. He can see that same talent in him and Andre has nothing to prove to anyone these days so he calls out talent as he sees it.
>>
I think he's some kind of experiment by the music industry to see what kind of garbage people will take seriously through the result of praise by music journalists. They're aware that people will ironically like garbage, but they want to see if people can be tricked into liking completely mindless music if they're told that it's actually brilliant
>>
>>61013332
If you have to ask you should not try to get it.
>>
File: thuggger2.png (113 KB, 319x500) Image search: [Google]
thuggger2.png
113 KB, 319x500
even the cup....

damn.....
>>
>>61019324

THERMITE PAINTTTTT

IDS HABBEDING

fucking idiot
>>
>>61019324
i think you already posted this same shit but still havent backed up your claims that his music is mindless
>>
>>61019324
hey i know you dont actually know that much about the music industry thats why im recommending you look into "the wavery"
>>
>>61019369
>>61019555
Oh no yeah I know absolutely nothing it's all just speculation. But I think the music industry doing something like that is not entirely implausible. If they found out that any artist can be considered a genius with enough manipulation, they could push literally anyone on the consumers and make millions and not have to worry about finding actual talent. I don't know though

>>61019389
Maybe I have, I don't know. He's kind of growing on me now, really. I don't have any real backup besides that he really doesn't focus on lyrics and often uses generic trap beats. But what he does is definitely new and unique, so maybe I just don't get it. I don't know. Some of his songs are good
>>
File: ds2.jpg (156 KB, 940x940) Image search: [Google]
ds2.jpg
156 KB, 940x940
this needs to be approved
>>
>>61019845
but he does focus on lyrics, people just overlook them because they get caught up in the delivery
>>
File: 1-fedora-t-i-demands.jpg (23 KB, 518x417) Image search: [Google]
1-fedora-t-i-demands.jpg
23 KB, 518x417
>>61013332
>cant understand the appeal of young thug
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.