[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That the meteorite is a source of the light And the meteor's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1
File: ysss.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ysss.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee

haha what an idiot she got it wrong
>>
>>61008001
judging by the depth of her lyrics in general, I'm pretty sure that was on purpose
>>
>>61008001
>the media, right, is the source of the light
>and the media is just what we see
>>
That's the point?
>>
>>61008697
damn...
>>
>>61008697
Amen amen

Ahhh mennnn
>>
So what's this song about anyway
And does she have any other songs as great as Emily and Monkey and Bear?
>>
>>61009229
>Monkey and Bear
>good
hmm
>>
>>61009229
Emily is her sister's name. It's her reminiscing about the times she's spent with her along with a bunch of other shit that probably goes over my head.

Just on Ys Only Skin and Sawdust and Diamonds are better than those IMO. Baby Birch, Does Not Suffice, Go Long, Have One On Me, Kingfisher, Anecdotes, Sapokanikan, and Time As Symptom are at least on par too.
>>
>>61009393
>"the hills are groaning with excess/ like a table ceaselessly being set"
>not good
>>
>>61009454
> bullshit couplet with possibly no intended meaning
>good
>>
>>61009495
>possibly no intended meaning

If this is bait you're getting me good right now
>>
>>61008777
holy trips
>>
>>61008001
the whole point of that part of the song is that the song's character "set them the verse" so that she "could remember" and ironically got them wrong. It's literally the line right before that
>>
I was listening to Ys last night and Cosmia hit me really hard for some reason. 4:50 and on is heart rending
>>
>>61009495
how can you not see meaning in it?
the hills are so strikingly plentiful as to give the impression that they would maintain their opulence no matter what
>>61009549
how does the "set them to verse" line prove the mistake was intentional?
to me the song is largely about enforcing the differences and similarities between joanna and her sister by looking at both with a focus on their approaches to astrology within their careers. Emily travels the world to study, Joanna composes from home; Emily seems to be stoic and comforting while Joanna is a pure romantic. The mistake clearly fits in with the parallels drawn
>>
>>61009530
>>61009747
>the hills are so strikingly plentiful as to give the impression that they would maintain their opulence no matter what
How the hell does setting a table remove its opulence
Newsom picks a lot of words just for sound and rhyme, this is an example
>>
>>61009840
that's not what they're saying you inbred.

Are you same guy that was sperging out a while ago because using the word sassafras didn't have "enough" meaning?
>>
>>61009840
>Newsom picks a lot of words just for sound and rhyme

oh, you mean that thing that every other fucking songwriter and poet on the planet does?

Not to mention that it's not even a good example because the meaning of that line was just explained to you and you still can't grasp its concept.
>>
>>61009898
yes

>>61009925
>oh, you mean that thing that every other fucking songwriter and poet on the planet does?
good songwriters don't
you really didn't justify the line at all with your opulence drivel
>>
>>61009747
she specifically says that she needs them in order to remember, which implies she doesn't really understand the subject
>>
>>61009948
>every line has to be some sort of universe shattering revelation
Thanks for playing man, better luck next time
>>
>>61010037
>yeah sure she can write lines with no meaning at all she's still the best songwriter!!!!!!
one ass gif and she gets a lot of devoted followers inventing her talents
>>
>>61009229
This song is about her sister Emily, when they were younger, and the moment when Emily left to make her own life (iirc she became an astronomer, hence the memories of Emily explainig stuff about meteors)
>>
>>61009948
>good songwriters don't

Yeah they do.

I wasn't the one who explained it earlier but it still makes sense. The hills are so fucking big and teeming with life that they're like a table that's endlessly being set with food. It's a fucking metaphor to help with the visual imagery. It's not even one of her more difficult lines to grasp.
>>
>>61010078
Bob Dylan is widely viewed viewed as being one of the greatest songwriters of all time and has entire songs that are essentially about nothing.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>61009948
>>61010078
Just curious, what do you consider an example of a well written lyric to be?
>>
>>61010171
Bob Dylan has written essentially only good lyrics

>>61010161
>entire songs that are essentially about nothing
fucking plebs on this board man
>>
>>61009959
ah, ok
>>61009840
>excess
>set
yeah sure this was done just for the rhyme
Setting a table doesn't remove its opulence you idiot, taking from it does. Except in the case of a table ceaselessly being set, jesus fuck
>>
>>61010267
>I don't recognise assonance/sibilance
good job
>>
>>61010233
He would tell you himself that it's true.

I'm not even saying it makes him a bad lyricist, he's fucking amazing, but the fact that you're using him as an example is fucking hilarious. You sincerely haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>61010338
I know you're stupid so this post is no real surprise

just for fun, name one of these "meaningless" Dylan tracks
>>
Sassafras was a completely random plant choice too btw
>>
>>61010351
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
>>
>>61008001
It's a disgrace you didn't type this in all caps.
>>
>>61010351
Obviously it's not entirely about nothing but something like Desolation Row has tons of lines thrown in there probably just because Dylan thought they sounded cool. Applying the same level of scrutiny that you do to Joanna's lyrics to his would prove this about tons of his songs.

Seriously everytime you sperg out in one of these threads everyone points out how fucking retarded you are and yet you still think you're in the right. You legitimately seem mentally ill.
>>
>>61010313
I don't have to explain to you that if she was aiming for sound only she would've been smart enough to find homophones.
Now refute the part of my post in which I explained why the line makes complete sense and that you threw away mid cherry-picking
>>
>>61010437
what? It's a very short song but importantly it's written directly and with a meaning/purpose for every line

>Close your eyes, close the door
>You don’t have to worry any more
>I’ll be your baby tonight

>Shut the light, shut the shade
>You don’t have to be afraid

>Well, that mockingbird’s going to sail away
>We’re going to forget it
>That big, fat moon is going to shine like a spoon
>But we’re going to let it
>You won’t regret it

>Kick your shoes off, do not fear
>Bring that bottle over here

The only line here which is not perfect is the reference to the mockingbird - if that was a meaningless choice of bird it would be a Newsom-level songwriting flaw. It's much more likely that I just don't know the reference though.
>>
>>61010506
this is actually true about Desolation Row
still I wouldn't bring up one of his bullshit lines as evidence of his great songwriting, which is what happens for Newsom

>>61010517
better sound does not just mean maximum amount of rhymes you unbelievable pleb
>>
>>61010624
>Now refute the part of my post in which I explained why the line makes complete sense and that you threw away mid cherry-picking
so no?
>>
>>61010654
I can't reply to everything at once or these things get exhausting pretty fast
The metaphor can be just about tied up but it's still bullshit
now reply to what I did have time for fuccboi
>>
>>61010578
>song about convincing someone to have a one night stand is meaningful

ok
>>
>>61010696
>song about convincing someone to have a one night stand is not meaningful

lol why am I even trying
>>
>>61010696
>>61010708
this is why you stupid artless faggots like Newsom - because the bullshit lyrics she chooses come from the pretentious "wistful" lexicon which you mistake for artfulness
>>
>I'm so deep, look at me, the thread.
Newsom is now waifu-core, thus garbage. Please move these discussions to reddit, where attempts to look smart aren't frowned upon.
>>
>>61010809
I don't think Newsom is garbage btw I've listened to her most over the last few months
She's primarily good for her voice & vocal melody
>>
Any debate about Dylan is essentially moot at this point. Feel free to peruse through Song and Dance Man and its bibliography and provide counterarguments, but even then you cannot deny his importance in the history of popular music. At most you'll manage to stop him from getting lobbied for the Nobel Prize, if your arguments are very solid.

As for what makes a good songwriter, intent is not necessarily important. Asking Dylan (or Newsom or whomever, but especially Dylan) for an opinion on his writing is just plain dumb (check the San Francisco interview for an example). Evaluating lyrics is always a matter of the sensitive side, ie., whether you feel anything through them. This is particularly true of contemporary stuff, like Newsom's, which still hasn't gathered enough of commentary to be compared to Dylan or practically any of his contemporaries. If you cannot see the greatness in Newsom, while obviously many people see then you must argue why. Mainly this comes down to two main points: the technical side and how the lyrics relate to the current songwriting scene (ie., has it been done, is someone doing it better). After considering these two aspects you can finally formulate your own, educated opinion on Newsom, and present it to general scrutiny.
>>
>>61010679
>The metaphor can be just about tied up but it's still bullshit
why? it requires some abstraction but that's far from being inherently bad
I do agree there is much more to sonority than rhyming, but why make conjectures about an artist's intentions when there are perfectly sensible analyses to be made without these suppositions?
>>
I just go over her voice after listening to this again today, and I love the compositions overall, but there is just this element of general quirkyness that is slightly off-putting even though I can see how good the album is as a whole.
>>
>>61011216
>element of general quirkyness that is slightly off-putting
yeah it can be a bit forced especially in the lyrics, he voice forgives a lot though
>>
>>61010736
>>61010398
>>61010578
>every mention of a creature must not be a specification of species and it must only give out a vague notion
stop imposing your bizarrely strict values on great songwriting. It's not like every choice in aesthetics has to be key in deciphering a track.
Also, extravagance is fundamental to the identity of Ys. If her archaic and oddly specific vocabulary is often lauded, it isn't because people appreciate mindless pretension, it is because it aids and aligns itself with the awestruck and romanticized nature of her music, her lyrics, and by extension, her spirit. Kinda like the "table ceaselessly being set" verse I mentioned earlier. In fact, if you asked me for an album in which there is attention being paid so that every particular choice has purpose, I'd definitely mention Ys
>>
It still blows me away that people can understand the autobiographical aspects of this song, recognize its themes, have heard songs of hers with similar themes (such as This Side of the Blue and En Gallop), and *still* think of that error as anything other than intentional.

>>61010398
Sassafras was chosen for its sibilance
>Scrap of sassafras, eh, Sisyphus? I see...
>>
>>61012512
most people on this board are children
>>
>>61012512
>Sassafras was chosen for its sibilance
yeah this was what I pointed out in the last thread, I just also said that wasn't "enough" of a reason to make such a reference
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.