[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the Harry Nilsson of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (662 KB, 637x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
662 KB, 637x960
Is he the Harry Nilsson of our generation?
>>
Holy fuck that's a good comparison.
I think that's agreeable
>>
I have no idea who Harry Nilsson is but i like Father John Misty
>>
>>61001459
>I have no idea who Harry Nilsson is
get the fuck out of /mu/
>>
what does that mean?
>>
I think he's a better lyricist than harry. but harry knows how to make a groove.
>>
File: image.png (102 KB, 253x255) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102 KB, 253x255
>>61001459
>I have no idea who Harry Nilsson
Please tell me you're like 14
>>
>>61001459
Tina Turner's husband, he was a very cruel man, they made a film about it
>>
>>61001387
He's not as funny as Nilsson.
>>
>>61001387
is everybody talking at him?
>>
literally who
>>
>>61003909
are you kidding me look at his instagram he has a bunch of screenshots of him playing second life
>>
i think you're on to something with this, but nilsson was about 10,000 times more gifted as a vocalist.
>>
>>61004413
lol what are you basing this off of
>>
>>61002851
The documentary was called Mad Max: Beyond the Thunder Dome
>>
>>61004413
lol wrong
>>
>>61004289
lol the ones of him posting class warfare stuff over shallow hipstery stock photos are my favourites
>>
File: 1449625779224.jpg (93 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1449625779224.jpg
93 KB, 960x720
>>61001459
>I have no idea who Harry Nilsson is
>>
>>61001387
I've heard that comparison being made but mostly because that whole record has a very Nilsson/John Lennon/May Pang lost weekend in LA kind of vibe. This is not a bad thing.
>>
>>61004453
>>61005566
Are you serious?
>>
test
>>
Is his instagram a mockery of himself? If it's not he is one pompous piece of fuck.
>>
The Night Josh Tillman is more of a Bob Dylan song tbqhwyf. Positively Fifth Street.
>>
>>61007085
How is lampooning selfie culture pompous? That seems pretty valid actually.
>>
>>61007085

his public persona has turned me off from him, i can't help it

the album was pretty great but man, his whole smarmy, knowing, intellectual schtick is rough
>>
>>61007138

Someone's happy to be on a nice hike and wants to share it with friends vs. Someone sits behind a computer making from of the person on a nice hike sharing it with friends, his caption literally applies to himself. It's cliche to make fun of "selfie culture," yet he feels he's "fundamentally unique."
>>
>>61007176
>Someone sits behind a computer making from of the person

*making fun
>>
>>61007176
I thought he was saying selfies were cliche?
>>
>>61007176
Yup exactly, so that's why I said if he is mocking himself then it's pretty funny, but if not...
>>
>>61007176
This. People with a ~biting and ~sardonic sense of humor can often be so insufferable and self-involved.
>>
>>61007200
you are pretty dim witted arent you? only see things at the surface level?
>>
>>61007211
He's clearly making fun of the guy in the photo...
>>
>>61007239
If that's the case then I stand by my opinion that he's pompous and doesn't see the irony in the situation
>>
>>61007239
no shit but its ironic because it applies more to himself than the guy hes making fun of
>>
But he is making fun of himself too, for having to participate in social media cause hes an oh so important recording star now. Rather see him post his little art jokes than just some publicist only posting tour dates
>>
>>61007454
You don't have to participate in social media...or at least not as much as FJM does.

And what's wrong with the publicist option? I don't care about an artist's thoughts about trite shit or their witticisms, it's about the music. Being self-aware and self-deprecating doesn't let you off the hook for being pretentious
>>
>>61007532
So here's my thought on that. In FJM's case, the public persona is part of the package. When he was just recording under J Tillman, you never heard a thing from him cause he wanted to be this tragic, under appreciated Townes Van Zandt type figure. Once he took a bunch of hallucinogens and reinvented himself and found out his previous ambition was kind of bullshit and an ego trip, he wholeheartedly went the other direction and decided to be completely honest in his stage performance, his persona, all of it. I get that he's a divisive dude, but I think it's the real thing. It's weird to me that more of the internet doesn't embrace the idea that he's some sort of postmodern pop star from a dog eared cyberpunk novel from the 80's making work on more than one platform at once. This kind of personality/celebrity has been predicted and talked about for a long time.

This is Josh, btw.
>>
>>61006790
Yes. Father John Misty is an incredible singer no matter how you spin it.
>>
>>61007881
pathetic
>>
i Love You Honeybear sounds a little to much like Without You
>>
>>61007532
You do if you want to sell records or tickets to a theater sized tour. Name an artist coming out today who can do that without participating in the nonsense. Protip: it's hard. Think he might be making fun of the absurdity of the whole thing, himself included.
>>
>>61003909
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtR3DVkH0eY
>>
>>61008113
Do you like MIA? Which part of her media do you like more? Do you hate MIA? Which part of her media do you hate more? Are you completely indifferent? Okay then, you're not a fan.
>>
>>61008159
heh let's do a skit of Sammy Davis Jr. except with a ton more self-aware irony!!
>>
>>61008217
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>61008288
Popular music is about more than music now and has been for a long time. There is a song, there is a video, there is an image, there is a social media presence. One can say that's a good thing or one can say that's a bad thing, but those are the facts. MIA is a pop star. FJM is a pop star. There's plenty of great music that doesn't follow this formula, but those people aren't pop stars.
>>
>>61008807
I called your post pathetic because of the overt pandering.
>>
>>61001387
Well he tours and is generally kind of a dick (a funny dick, but a dick). So I don't think so
>>
>>61008147
Burial
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.