[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/, What is your honest opinion of this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 7
File: rodeo.jpg (84 KB, 750x728) Image search: [Google]
rodeo.jpg
84 KB, 750x728
/mu/,

What is your honest opinion of this album?
>>
>>60983845
either people think it's great or terrible, there's no In between

I think it's great, it has great production and is the best take on the trap genre since it started

I don't understand the hate
>>
trash
>>
Generic music from a try-hard rapper. This kid is nothing special, every element of his music is borrowed from another persons life. No originality whatsoever.
>>
It just sounds like shit
>>
>>60983845
The lyrics of the singer/rapper ruins it. So its a bad album. Horrible to be honest.
>>
girl at party told me it's kanye west protege deconstruction on trap music .
>>
Listening to it rn, it's the best piece of music if you like ignorant trap raps.
>>
Why would I waste my time forming an opinion on rap...

>rap
>important

I'm tired of people pretending rap is worth anything, it's a silly little genre for 13 year old girls to get pregnant to
>>
>>60983845
It's okay, not AOTY or anyting. I only really like Flying High and Alright OK. Maybe apple pie.
>>
>>60984267

>Genre has been around for 30+ years and has evolved sonically a lot.

Yeah must be a meme genre.
>>
>>60984192
I'd say its Kanye's butler exploitation of trap music
>>
>>60984325
He doesn't even like it so I don't know why the attention whore even bothered to reply itt
>>
>>60984325

Glad you agree, DeAndre
>>
It's pretty good. Wore out quickly though.
>>
>>60984369
I blame autism.
It's okay though Jimmy.
>>
>>60984368
>attention whore

He says, to the person using a name on an anonymous forum
>>
>>60984405
?

It's okay attention whore.
>>
>>60984405
>>60984368

I actually didn't mean to use the name, that was left in the name field from a post where I asked a question in /prod/ thread. my bad.
>>
>>60984405 <----- That guy wasn't me.

>>60984422
>>
>>60984422
>I only know one insult

Unsurprisingly, a rap thread has deteriorated into childish name calling, which is essentially what the entire genre is about.

No quality in the music, no chance of a quality thread. No articulate opinions either.

We finally got the K-POP posters into containment threads, it's about time we did the same with the rap posters.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 426x319) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 426x319
>>60984495
Thanks for the yous though.
>>
unfortunately a victim of its marketing, which is all reviewers care about anyway.

production is top tier. lyrics could use some work but 90210, Maria I'm Drunk, and 3500 are all modern masterpieces
>>
>>60984495
Hear hear
>>
>>60984557
This guy gets it
>>
>>60983845

8.5/10, second-best hip-hop album of the year.

>>60983889

>>>/pol/
>>
i was kind of disappointed at first, but after playing it a couple of more times i really liked it. however i'd prefer it if wasted, pray 4 love, impossible and flying high weren't on the album. either way it's a good listen front to back which is kinda rare for me with rap albums lately.
>>
>>60984622
>le redirection meme

Great argument Tyrone!
>>
>>60984082
9/10 in my top 3 this year.
>>
>>60984267
>anything that isn't rap
> important

rofl rap is the only relevant genre today
>>
>>60984670

>le every black person is named Tyrone meme

great argument Billy
>>
I like rap but hate trap, so I honestly hated it although I think I'm in the minority out of all the rap fans here on /mu/.
>>
>>60984653
>impossible
>one of the worst tracks

wtf that song is top 5 of the year
>>
File: fedorable.jpg (248 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
fedorable.jpg
248 KB, 720x1280
>>60984653
>he didn't like Wasted
I thought the melancholy intrumentals and Juicy J's verse were pretty good. Travis's verse was mediocre on it.

>>60983889
>>60984267
pic related
>>
>>60985131
Juicy J is the worst part of that song

"It's really goin dow-"
Immediately skip the track once he comes on. Don't even listen to the track anymore
>>
Album is absolute flames senpai
>>
>>60985131
>he
i just find the song to drag on quite a bit. the juicy j part is definitely favorable to travis' but in general you could make an argumemt for travis being mediocre as a rapper anyway
>>
it seems like it's gonna be influential and remembered as a "classic" by hip hop heads in about 10-20 years
>>
Pretty shitty
>>
i liked days before rodeo better
>>
>>60985131
i loved the album but
nigga
NIGGA
wasted was awful because of juicy j
and that pimp c sample
so bad
>>
Underwhelming as fuck

Days Before Rodeo and Owl Pharaoh had so much more variety, and actually sounded like he put thought into them. This just feels rushed.
>>
AOTY
>>
Piss On Your Grave is song of the year. Ye should have saved that beat for Swish.
>>
>>60983845
it's fukn gucci
>>
all pop rap is horrible. i don't know why you guys don't seem to understand this. ya'll need to get p4k's dick out of ur mouths and think for yourselves once in a while. there is nothing good about this, future, drake, or kanye
>>
>>60983845
slept on hard. he kinda sucks at lyrics, but this album is better than any of the other rap albums released this year.
>>
>>60989593
>Rodeo
>Pop Rap
Holy fuck kill yourself
>>
>>60984192
kek travis scott really has a way of bringing out the try hards

>"its art you just dont understand"
>thinking people dont understand trap music aka reddit: the genre because its deep
>>
i used to like rap but i genuinally think once you reach a certain age you're supposed to grow past rebellious music. if your over the age of 20 and you still listen to rap music you probably still live in the hometown you grew up in and refuse to grow up
>>
Decent
>>
it's good. I personally like days before better. i think he's trying to do too much and doesn't give any of his elements room to breathe, but he's a phenomenal producer and rapper. i think when he is able to refine his sound and focus more he'll release his best work yet. still i'm a fan of the guy and excited to see how he'll keep influencing the game
>>
File: aerfert.png (538 KB, 793x461) Image search: [Google]
aerfert.png
538 KB, 793x461
can't stop listening to it desu
>>
>>60991189
embarassing so so embarassing
>>
>>60991256
>embarassment on a Ethiopian mapmaking forum.
>>
>>60989593
but Future is fucking amazing, though
>>
>>60990709
>travis scott
>anything other than radio pop

this is beyond poptimism. this is some combination of ignorance and denial
>>
>>60991311
how? his beats are uncreative regurgitations of every hip hop trend and cliche from the past few years, and his lyrics and vocal delivery are on par with those of someone with severe down's syndrome
>>
I could careless about the album. production is good, but travis is a shitty rapper.
>>
>>60990709
embarassing
>>
>>60983845
Solid 8/10

Really liked 90210 and oh my dis side, piss on your grave gets an honorable mention
>>
>>60991412
embarrassing m8
>>
I don't have any, but I could give you a lot of dishonest ones if you like
>>
>>60992046
disprove what i said or fuck off
>>
I really like the album art, it's cool.
>>
>>60992125
You can buy the action figure as well.
>>
>>60992091
still keking m8
all these hip hop trends and cliches you're thinking of when speaking about his beats is literally just shit him metro and southside have been doing for a while, and then everyone else started copying them
his lyrics are all depressing and just about his addiction if you actually listen to what he's saying
idk my friend has a theory our ears are just trained to pick up what he's mumbling
his vocal delivery can be trash at times, i agree
>>
>>60992167
oh that's cool

i prob should listen to the album first doe
>>
>>60992167
>You can buy the action figure as well.
this is what happens when capitalism gets ahold of music.
>>
It's trap music for the expanded audience. Most white people would never listen to trap, so stuff like Antidote or OK Alright sounds crazy and new to them when they hear it.

The truth is that most popular rap is made specifically for the expanded audience of people who are just trying on the culture for a phase. Pop rap fans are like old people playing Wii Sports. No, they do not actually like video games.

Hoeevrt, 90210 is the best shit in the world. I have no idea how he pulled that out of him. The album isn't bad either, just unoriginal. Which us weird because a lot of people praise it as revolutionary.
>>
>>60992547
literally who cares if it's original.

I like how it sounds and enjoy it. Plus I think he makes use of the sounds he bites better than those he bites from.
>>
>>60992091
nigga y'd you just pretend to be me
>>
>>60992547
90210 is one of the more unoriginal tracks on the album... First half is 808s worship, 2nd half is CD/Late Registration worship (even goes so far as to rip it's vocal sampling from Family Business)
>>
>>60992204

Other people ripping you off is no excuse for a stagnating style. If he can't find a new sound then he isn't much of a musician.

Why should I care about his next album if it will just sound like Rodeo? Rodeo already doesn't sound fresh, Rodeo 2 in a couple years would sound even more stale.

Seriously, "but other people reused his old sound first" is no excuse for any musician.
>>
Nine light years away, just outside of the Kepler solar system
We find ourself consumed and utterly mesmerized
With a story of a young rebel against the system
Refusing to conform or comply to the ways of authority
He chose the mood of "fuck this shit"

At that moment, the one known as Jacq turned to Scott
Chose to jump off his mama porch and lead the stampede of lost souls
In the middle of their metamorphosis, not quite through with their journey
Ain't made it through whatever the fuck they gon' be in life
But whatever it is, it's better than here
So fuck you and fuck this
>>
>>60992705
1) you know i was speaking on future, right?
2) he went back to the sound his longtime fans love, and improved on it, and had a standout year
3) rodeo sounds like a mixture of so much, which is exactly who travis is

travis' key feature is hyped songs with slow beats, and as a fan i think that's about it because you can definitely hear his influences and friends on his music, but i enjoy it

get off your high horse
if you don't enjoy something, that's awesome
it doesn't matter though
>>
>>60992581

That's pretty what I came around to at the end of my post. I don't care. You shouldn't care. Let's enjoy it. Like >>60992629 said, I like one of the poppiest songs on there.

But the album has a huge reputation, and OP didn't ask if we liked it. He asked for our thoughts. I answered with the thoughts that have been bugging me about the album. No shade is getting thrown, friend. Like what you like. I still have Matchbox Twenty days, I'm far from an elitist.
>>
>>60992455
Dont
>>
>>60992790

I never said I didn't enjoy it mate. Sorry I got the subject of your post twisted. You're being a little hostile though, mate. I'm not on any high horse.
>>
>>60992204
his music is generic airy trap. that's one of the most predominant styles in popular music today. you can't be ignorant enough to believe that he is the originator of this style. people have been doing it for years
>>
>>60992913
my apologies friend
>>
>>60992953
it's too late
>>
>>60992984
miscommunication, comrade
i read
>Why should I care about his next album if it will just sound like Rodeo?
as a hostile statement
>>
it's just filler until drake,kanye drop something
month from now nobody will care about this
>>
>>60993024
No worries, my excitement to rant may have affected the tone of my posts.
>>60993052
Well, I could see how. My bad mate, truly.

Let me try it again.

What is /mu/ expecting from his next LP? Who here expects experimentation and who expects him to hone a proven formula? Which would you prefer? What features do you want to see? (The correct answer is Thundercat)

Assuming he sticks with his sound, how many more LPs/years can you see it lasting before it sounds too dated?

Hopefully his best album is ahead of him. He could drop a mammoth of a pop album if he worked at it, but I think it has to be on the next album or else he'll need some reinvention to stay relevant.
>>
>>60993370
I think he's got good company around him who will help him establish a different sound for his next album.

I think Travis is somewhat like Kanye in that he's good at getting a bunch of people together and bringing out the best in those people. As long as he's got Mike Dean and Kanye close to him, he should put out some great music.
>>
>>60992790

I do absolutely fucking love that his current popularity might help inspire the next generation of rappers to be more comfortable over slow tempos.
>>
>>60993370
i want to hear more stuff like
the intro to Maria
dis side

he needs to work more with kacy hill
went to the weeknd concert, i think a travis x kacy hill x halsey song could have potential, but may just sound like 90210 pt 2

from owl pharoah, to days before, to rodeo, he's been transitioning a lot to different sounds and honing in on what he's good at
such as harmonizing with the beat a la 808s kanye and cudi

only fantano comments i agree with are him making trap sound artsy, as well as him massively improving on his song transition a la pharrell

he's supposed to drop a days after rodeo tape this weekend, according to rumors

as a travis fan for years now, i hope he stops letting his friends produce everything and gets back to doing his own production
apple pie and piss on your grave were amazing

if he did a kanye transition and just co produced everything with mike dean, this future looks bright
>>
>>60993532
>the intro to Maria

MY NIGGA. Love that track but the intro is the shit I wanna hear more from him. Usually I hate autotune but Travis uses it so effectively. Fucking keep laying on that autotune Travis.
>>
>>60983845
Still haven't listened to it.

It's probably shit though
>>
>>60993532
was Apple Pie solely produced by Travis? And Dean on the keys.

Did Travis solely produce anything else on Rodeo
>>
File: costanza.jpg (43 KB, 244x248) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
43 KB, 244x248
>>60983936
>Travis Scott
>trap
>>
>>60993462

That's a good point. Now that he's popular a lot of fading established musicians are going to try to latch onto the new guy. We'll just have to wait and see which people he lets influence him.

He should probably stay away from Kanye, as much as the comparison holds true. I really hope Travis doesn't embrace materialism as openly as Kanye, it wouldn't fit him.
>>
the biggest fraud of 2015
>>
It was good but where the yung lean feats at? I am not a big yung lean fan but its fucked that travis promised him a couple of verses and then just cutting him out of the album
>>
>>60993668
yeah it's a bit funny to call him trap when...
>Normally, Scott would stay with his grandmother, while his mother worked for the company Apple,[2] and his father ran his own business.
>>
>>60988695
I thougt that piss on yo grave was trash at first but it grow on me, best song from the album 2bh
>>
>>60993673
I agree, I'm hoping Travis doesn't feed his own ego and start venturing into some other shit.

He's young and hungry, plus I'm sure he wants to get an album number one on the billboard. That's why I think his next album may be a little more pop-ish or he'll just have that much of a household name and good marketing around him that he won't have to be more radio friendly.
>>
>>60991189
God damn that some serious kek music fammy
>>
>>60993704
nigga his mom worked for AT&T

MOMMA WORK FOR AT&T AND WE STILL AINT GET NO SERVICE
>>
File: noisehop.jpg (999 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
noisehop.jpg
999 KB, 1000x1000
more like this please
>>
Awesome album that helped me appreciate Young Thug. Bieber put in work, too.
>>
One of the few decent hip hop releases this year (along with Gibbs, Cudi, and Future).
>>
>>60994172
Cudis album was not hip hop album
>>
>>60993659
apple pie was the only thing that was MAINLY travis, but yeah it had dean on there
piss on your grave was kanye and travis, but kanye gives everyone credit so i'm not sure if travis was just pitching ideas with him

>>60993612
that intro is so fucking pretty and dark
i really hope he heads in that direction
90210 was similar imo
>>
>>60994036
that biebervelli verse was flames
>>
>>60994417
apple pie is also a rip off of meek mill "amen"
>>
>>60994442
because of the keys?
with that logic mamacita is just a rip off of pusha's nosetalgia
>>
>>60994172
How fucking dare you group Cudi and Gibbs together.
How. Fucking. Dare. You.
>>
>>60984267
/thread
>>
>>60983845
I find it boring
most of the songs could have been cut in half
I don't find the production particularly innovative or enjoyable
and I know this is uncool but I really am getting tired of music about hedonism, and there are so many people doing it better than Scott
>>
It's okay doesn't live up to the hype that fuccbois give it so it feels like shit in comparison
>>
File: 1427586316506.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1427586316506.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>60984267

Bait looks so tasty, so tempting. Ahhhh you son of a bitch. NUM BUM NUM. GULP.

RAP IS THE NEW ROCK YOU CUK. AND RAP HAS MORE INFLUENCE ON CULTURE THAN ANY OTHER GENRE, YEAH DON"T FORM AN OPINION AT ALL> TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT. GOD YOU IGNORANT FAG....
>>
I CAME TO GET IT NOMINATED FROM A SPOT THAT YALL SEEN BUN B BLOW UP
>>
well produced, some good features, decent songwriting. but travis scott just copies people way too much and he's not interesting. I don't care for the way this albums tries to make trap "artistic" either.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.