[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Damn this is really fucking good. What do you guys think of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: wK2Zc.png (643 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
wK2Zc.png
643 KB, 600x600
Damn this is really fucking good.

What do you guys think of this album and Alice Coltrane in general?
>>
i liked it too op but i didnt go back for a second listen
>>
I think John Coltrane's mom should have never taken up jazz, and that she tainted her son's image
>>
>>60955217
This album is cool but it's "static" I guess; also it's sort of a watered down version of Pharoah Sanders. The playing is all great but it sort of bothers me when Alice keeps using the same harp licks over and over

I'd suggest Karma and Jewels of Thought by Pharoah over this album, but this album is definitely good. I guess the flip side of that coin is that Journey in Satchidananda can be chill background music and doesn't require your undivided attention like Pharoah's stuff
>>
alice <<< john

check out world galaxy, eternity, and turiya sings

"galaxy in turiya" = soundtrack to ascent to heaven
>>
>>60955927
lol i meant alice >>> john
>>
>>60955797
>I'd suggest Karma and Jewels of Thought by Pharoah over this album
What a coincidence, I just downloaded these minutes ago.
I'm new to jazz music and I really like the psychedelic vibes this album has and that's why I'm interested in checking Pharoah's work.
Is it similar?
>>
Here's some of her lesser known tape releases (or as my abuela calls them "the soupy arrangements")

Infinite Chants

https://mega.nz/#!Q4EWjLiD!Lb1MGggnO0DkJbOujEqhzzkdpB9Fh3jZiXrrbpbTN2M

Glorious Chants

https://mega.co.nz/#!gMlBDLiL!ApBJYGV40kErpR4jK2HzbkmAiRg2nBzyAUxUXV9Pgec

Divine Songs:

https://mega.co.nz/#!FcEmWSLC!N12_fjPzTdN1XdXOOC0nDWoEnyIAgz4oHvqEqC-k1Pc
>>
>>60955962
Ya pretty much. Almost the same style. The two big differences are that Pharoah's music has moments of all-out free jazz chaos and his music is more long-form; his best recordings are longer than 15 minutes. Alice's stuff is more laid-back and generally easier to digest. But definitely check him out bc he's very similar
>>
>>60956092
Not the same anon but I just started listening to Pharoah sanders from this thread and it sounds really good. You have any other recommendations for someone new to the genre?
>>
>>60956017
I downloaded a torrent with some of Alice's albums but none of these are in it.
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>60956209
>Sun Ra - Space Is the Place
>Archie Shepp - Attica Blues
>Don Cherry - S/T
>Weather Report - S/T
I'm not an expert on spiritual jazz but it's not a huge genre tb.h; all that stuff sounds similar, at least
>>
>>60956280
Thanks senpai
>>
>>60956280

Albert Ayler belongs on this list as well

https://youtu.be/xWsIG5sNq1Q
>>
Whole coletrane family be wildin my ngias
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.