[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the thoughts on 2000s "emo" bands? My Chemical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: EMOS.jpg (20 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
EMOS.jpg
20 KB, 450x337
What's the thoughts on 2000s "emo" bands? My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday... Those types of bands. Good? Bad? Pure nostalgia?
>>
Commercial music that exploits angsty teenagers and tumblrinas.
>>
Taking Back Sunday is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. Tell All Your Friends and Where You Want To Be are guilty favorites that to this day I still thoroughly enjoy, especially WYWTB. I didn't care for Louder Now and I haven't listened to anything after that.
>>
>>60954524
I enjoy MCR and Panic! at the disco.
>>
Heavily marketed pop music with slight "edge." Some of it was okay. Most of it was bad.
>>
>>60954598
>tumblrinas
Are you so young that you think tumblrinas have always existed ?
>>
>>60955783
they were scene girls back then
>>
>>60955783
Not him, but special snowflakes with thin skin are ever present.

Their equivalent was myspace whores back then.
>>
>>60955783
literally nobody uses the term "tumblrina" besides underage redditors so most likely
>>
>>60955783
This. it was all about LiveJournal back in them days.
>>
Godawful.
>>
Bad
>>
>>60955262

Seconded for Tell All Your Friends, the early releases of most of these bands are their best. MCR's first and Thursday's Full Collapse are also old favorites.
>>
>>60954524

Most were shit. I did like Jimmy Eat World, Thursday, Cursive and Sparta though.
>>
Pretty. Odd. is a good album.
>>
>>60954524
desu i love MCR and have rediscovered my love for the used.
>>
>>60954524
>My Chemical Romance
First two albums were pretty good. Black Parade was overblown and Danger Days was just terrible. Glad they broke up before they could embarrass themselves more.
>Taking Back Sunday
Tell All Your Friends is a stellar emo album. In the top 50 maybe. Then they got slowly and progressively worse.
>Panic! At the Disco
Fever was interesting power pop record and Pretty Odd was a caricature of 60s pop. Brendan Urie then let his ego take over the band.
>Fall Out Boy
Early stuff is catchy pop punk. Nothing monumental, but listenable. Save Rock and Roll and afterwards is legitimately some of the worst pop I've ever heard.
>>
>>60954524
I still genuinely enjoy Tell All Your Friends from TBS

Don't care much for any of the other bands you listed
>>
These bands are emo influenced but not necessarily emo. You can check out some of the original emo music with bands like american football, capn jazz, dads, william bonney. You'll notice the similarities but the bands you mentioned came onto existence when they discovered that when you take elements of emo music applied to the simplicity of alternative music and give them all an extreme, moody look, people will go crazy for it.
Not saying any of these bands are bad, i just get sick of people labelling all these bands as emo
>>
>>60956414
That's why I put quotes on "emo", I'm not sure what the official genre so to say is for these bands. But thank you for the recs!
>>
File: cute snail.gif (2 MB, 420x298) Image search: [Google]
cute snail.gif
2 MB, 420x298
>>60955805
>tumblrina
tumblrina detected
>>
>No MIA on that list
>>
>tfw I will never be 16 in 2005
>tfw I will never loose my virginity by cumming rawdog inside a qt scene girl
>tfw I will never walk around the mall looking for the new Silverstein album while qt scene gf loiters in Waldenbooks looking for the new volume of Fruits Basket
JUST
>>
>>60957142
I was almost like that and my life is kinda shit right now.

Really wish I can go back to 2005-2006 and stay there forever. Growing up sucks, yeah.
>>
As a regular poster in /scenequeengeneral, I would like to say all those bands suck; but there's still a teenager in all of us that is trapped in the days of 2005 who needs to just chill and listen to TBS sometimes. TAYF will always be a jam.

>>60955791
No, they weren't. Pop-punk kids were not scene queens. Sure, scene queens still went to warped and loved Blink like everyone else did. They were still two distinct types of people though and the tumblr crowd grew out of the pop punk scene for the most part.

>>60955812
The LiveJournal days will live on forever in my heart. RIP scene queen journals that I used to follow.

>>60956742
Just call them mtvmo. Prety much everyone knows what you mean because it's just what MTV decided to label as emo.
>>
>>60957179
why does your life suck anon?
>>
>>60956000

Agreed, trips confirms it.
>>
>>60955783
13 yo spotted. They were MySpace Whores back then. Ugh I miss those days.
>>
>>60954524
lots of great stuff like mcr and bright eyes and brand new and all these pop-punk emo bands of the 90/00 like jimmy eat world etc and also lots of shit
meh, a genre/scene that's varied in quality, how cliche
>>
>>60956414
Holy shit, shut up. We get it, you like "real emo".

>Doesn't mention Promise Ring, Christie Front Drive, or Sunny Day Real Estate.
>>
Fall Out Boy is actually a pretty good pop band

i m o
>>
>>60958476
>it's just what MTV decided to label as emo.
i'm honestly curious how would you label these bands if you were MTV
>>
>>60954524
Objectively bad music, but people will defend it because of a disgusting mix of poptimism and nostalgia.
>>
>>60960064
Nice buzzwords friendo
>>
>>60954524
Teen sister-core
>>
>>60954524
Catchy and listenable but painfully average and sometimes cringeworthy, at least in their earlier days. All 2000score bands inspired both better and worse bands.
>>
>>60954524
Good bands with horrible fanbases. Most of their old stuff is great (first three MCR, first two P!ATD, fist three FOB, first two TBS) but they became weak with time... I would add The Used to the list, Taste of Ink is a great song.

>>60956089
Second that.
>>
>>60959929
>I don't like discussion on a discussion board
>>
>>60954524
I remember how this stuff was popular when I was growing up.

It was nu metal, post-grunge, and this "emo" shit. It was the holy trinity of awful.
>>
>>60960015
Depends on the band. You could call a lot of it alternative-rock but like what does that even mean? I'd say a lot of it is just pop or hardcore for teen-aged girls. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, I fucking love a ton of this shit, but that's just what it is. It isn't emo, and it isn't quite pop-punk. It's just a mess of influences, to be honest.

I mean I think a few of these albums might have an argument for being labelled emo, so MTV said fuck it and ran with it; but they are also the ones who made a shit ton of money off of this music while I'm sitting here tripfagging on a forum for Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>60960708
fair enough, also i know you don't hate that shit, i post in moe too :3
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.