[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Front.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1000
What do you think of this album?
>>
>>60951063
Trash
>>
very good lyrically, appealing but pretty average instrumentally
>>
it's awful, i dont know how it got this much praise
>>
Blur done by an Aussie dyke
>>
>>60951063
I bet if pitchfork didn't give it a high score, it wouldn't nearly be as popular
>>
>>60951063

I cannot begin to describe the disdain I have for this sort of music. To be honest, if I focus really hard on the instruments, shut out the vocals and pretend that they were being sung by someone tolerable and with lyrics that aren’t embarrassing, I can potentially see why this isn’t bad. But the truth is that she is there, she is awful, she is unbearably moronic and she does ruin any little bits of skill that the drums or guitars bring in. After one of my friends declared Barnett his “new waifu” I decided to check this out, and after confronting him about this absolute nonsense, he made a comment along the likes of only enjoying it to impress girls at parties. This album is exactly the sort of think that those teenage girls who listen to “indie” as an image or a statement would lap up. They’ll talk about the bad vocals as “dylan-esque”, and will break into singing quotes from the frankly embarrassing lyrics whenever they can, because they’re SO ME XD, snapping up lines like “I want to wash out my head with turpentine cyanide” as if they’re extremely meaningful poetry. And jesus, I haven’t even mentioned the accent. If there was ever a convincing case for a nuke heading right to the middle of Australia’s eastern coast, this is it. An album filled with nonsense psuedo-meaningful ‘indie’ lyricism, complete with an image you’d expect one of those Sundance films advertised as indie (but actually aren’t), mostly forgettable instrumentation and songwriting, and one of the worst voices you’ve ever heard. Is there anything worse?
>>
Instrumentals don't get enough love. Lots of great guitar parts IMO and pretty pleasing/satisfying overall. Lyrics are obviously the centerpiece though, and they're phenomenal.
>>
>>60951294
Gay pasta
>>
fucking love it
>>
>>60951063
D I S D A I N
I
S
D
A
I
N
>>
The spoken word style she sings in added with the short story flow of her songs has formed a style of music both lyrically and instrumentally that has never grated on me more.
>>
>>60951063
>look courtney bartnett up on wiki
>Origin: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
>lolnope.jpg
>>
>>60952442
Tricky Mac is the only artist from Melbourne worth any attention or praise.
>>
>>60952530
>tricky mac
literally who
>>
Depreston is great rest of the album is decent
>>
>>60952571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxoeZ8aTXA
>>
>>60951063
it's just poser australian kim gordon, except 1000x worse in every way. go listen to good australian music like tame impale
>>
I skip a few songs on it, I don't like it as much as the last one
>>
I thought it was pretty disappointing compared to the Double EP. Some of the songs are just plain annoying.
>>
>>60951063
AOTY
>>
>>60951294
Haven't seen that one in a while
>>
>>60952616
I would much rather listen to this than triple j skip hop
>>
>>60951063
You dislike the album because Fantano does, you fucking ball suckers, get an opinion
>>
It's about a 6 for me.
>>
>>60952793
No I hate it because Gallifrey does
>>
>>60952793
no i dont like any other pop rock why ould i like this? its garbage.
>>
>>60952592
This, but instead of decent, underwhelming. I really liked her eps, and saw her a few times, she was great. She tried to go too big, and it showed her flaws really clearly, I really hope she takes a look at the album and see's where it falls short, and where it succeeds, the big moments are the worst moments, and if she tries to follow up with more like those she won't have the hype behind her generating critical praise, and her album will flop.
>>
>>60952843
>labeling wrong an album
>using pop rock as derogatory
>>
>>60951063
I love it desu. One of me personal favourites of the year. Not even a Triple J faggot either.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (747 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
747 KB, 1920x1080
which does /mu/ like better??
>>
Liked the lyrics, very endearing, not really doing nothing new and the instrumentals aren't bad but aren't exactly really good.

I don't even normally like this sort of music but it's just enjoyable to listen to. Not even a triple J fan or pitchfork reader.
>>
>>60952927
Honeybear is better and it is not even remotely close. Way better in every way.
>>
Pretty darn good music. Courtney Barnett has a lot of talent (especially on guitar) and I'm really interested in the style that she performs. If I were to "critique" her music the biggest detractor would probably be that the verses can seem pretty dislocated from the chorus message. Pretty small qualm though. Really excited to see what she does next.
>>
>>60951063
it's not terrible but it's so aggressively cutesy quirky indie i have trouble liking it. also sometimes courtney barnett does that benji thing where she just goes into way too much fucking detail about nothing at all and i want to bang my head against something.
>>
>>60951063
The high points on this album are fantastic as you can get from indie rock at this point.

Definitely some filler on here though.
>>
>>60951063
i like five of the songs on the album. small poppies, depreston, and kim's caravan being the standouts. think she's at her best when she uses reverb and twang like something out of west texas or a dusty bar in modesto, but that's just my personal preference.
>>
I really like it but the double LP was a bit better.
>>
>>60953608
fuck, *EP
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.