[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did it all come from /MU?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: carseat_style.jpg (646 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
carseat_style.jpg
646 KB, 1000x1000
this article claims that an intern at Matador was a mutant tipped Car Seat Headrest to them? Is this true? Has this intern ever posted about this?
http://hearnebraska.org/feature/car-seat-headrest-gets-in-the-van-qa/
>>
it's fairly well documented that will toledo used to (and probably still does) shamelessly and constantly viral spam his shitty music on /mu/
so it wouldn't surprise me at all
>>
mu
>>
>>60946759
this is 100% true
>>
>>60947347
honest question from a newer mu-tant, how do they know it was him? I thought it would just say anonymous?
>>
>>60948104
You can tell when something's being viraled. If it's always starting threads (instead of being posted in threads with discussion) or being posted with lyrics in all caps or 10/10 GOAT FEELZ shit and blatant samefagging instead of discussion, you know it's viraled.
>>
Did /mu/ help? Of course.
Was it only because of /mu/?
No. Shit gets marketed constantly over here and nobody cares because most of the times their music is shit. So basically you wouldn't get anywhere really, even if you spammed your music everywhere. CSH is actually pretty good. Also I heard Will is friends with a bunch of other indie musicians so he probably got publicity from that too.
Dunno man, I think he deserves it. Not many bandcamp musicians have the chance to actually get big so it's pretty cool when 1 in 1000 succeeds.
>>
>>60946759
>>60947347
>>60948104
>>60948124
It's partially true. He posted his stuff here at first, but since it was actually good, people caught on and started sharing it themselves. Basically every viraler's dream.

According to a friend of his, he really doesn't like 4chan anymore.

I'm happy for him. Got to see him live, actually- was opening for someone else, so the set didn't really include any of their best stuff (beach life-in-death, bodys) but it was still fun.
>>
>>60950006
very subtle, will
>>
>>60948124
>>60949888
Ok thanks. If he was persistent on Mu, he was probably persistent in reaching out to blogs, playing local shows, and other methods of spreading your music.

Personally, I don't like his music that much but I don't hate him for wanting to succeed. I actually think his music is pretty below average for a musician that age.
>>
>>60950557
>that age
How? He was 17-18 when he made Twin Fantasy. Dunno about you, but the most impressive thing I did at 17 was to not jack off for like a week. I think he did great for a kid, but I understand why people wouldn't like his stuff, especially on /mu/ where prejudice is so huge. I mean, Twin Fantasy, his best, has some pretty specific themes and it's kind of a concept album, so if you're not into it from the start then you're just not into it.
>>
You see more than a few posts from people who know Will or have hung out with him, and there's one poster who says he was in band with him. I can't find in an archives search the matador intern taking credit. Did they not want the glory?
>>
Is Will living the /mu/ dream?
>>
>>60950949
i made pretty much identical music but slightly more complex at his age,,,
>>
>>60950949
Most people aren't doing shit well at that age, but a good percentage of people are making impressive shit when they're young.

Avey Tare wrote Penny Dreadfuls at 16 and did the rest of STGSTV at 19/20.
>>
>>60951616
Cool, I guess, but you'd understand why I can't take that for granted. I bet Will and most people would say the same thing.

>>60951633
Well yeah, you can't compare prodigy kid Avey Tare to regular bandcamp musicians. As I was saying in the previous post, Toledo wouldn't have gotten anywhere if he wasn't even a little good. Not saying he's a fucking genius of gay indie rock but /mu/ tends to overreact and shit on small people who get big all the time.
>>
A whole bunch of people will probably say that he viral marketed himself spamming threads here. Id oubt that's true from what I saw. I started coming to /mu/ in early 2011, it had a completely different vibe, and meme's weren't as pervasive as they are now. I mean people would meme the fuck out of stuff like Tyler, but nothing like today's meme or die approach where sincere opinions get lost. Anyways back on topic, a few months later in some bandcamp threads he posted his music, and it was good. Much better than the average /mu/tant stuff, and pretty soon other people, myself included, started sharing it in 'best stuff you've found on bandcamp' threads. A lot of people knew about him, but his stuff was ever spammed. Anyways, fast forwards a couple of years, he was still spoken of highly, but most of the population didn't seem to care much about him. He must have released a new album though, and fans, once again myself included, found it pretty average, other people asked why anyone even cared, and got turned on to twin fantasy. Newer fans didn't understand why it had been forgotten and spammed it a little, eventually to the point it was known primarily as a meme. The same thing seems to happen a bit, but without the artist coming forward as a /mu/tant themselves, Jordaan Mason and the Horse Museum come to mind.
All of this said, thisa is just how I saw it happen and I could be completely wrong, but the whole thing seemed organic to me.
>>
>>60950051
Nice jealousy Tim
>>
>>60951616
>i made pretty much identical music but slightly more complex at his age,,,
lol get real faggot. post it or you are just full of it.
>>
>>60951616
post it then.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.