[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this so overrated? It's basically muh black lives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (25 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
25 KB, 384x384
Why is this so overrated? It's basically muh black lives matter: the album

>this thread is not a b8, discuss the album in the replies and tell me why you love it, maybe I'm missing something.
>>
File: image.gif (124 KB, 483x184) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
124 KB, 483x184
>>60940684
>>
>>60940698
Why are people so quit to use /po/ as a way to silence discussion?
>>
>>60940684
>it's basically muh black lives matter the album
well you are wrong there because while it does explore themes regarding race, Kendrick is also introspecting. many of thee songs have nothing to do with race. It seems as though your racism has blinded you from actually paying attention to the lyrics.
>>
>>60940732
Yeah okay I agree, there's some decent, catchy, well written songs in the album. But does that necessarily mean that the album has to get perfect 10s or 9s from nearly every fucking music critic? It's not that magnificent or mindblowing.
>>
>>60940684
listen to the ending lines of the blacker the berry and come back.
>>
>>60940768
no the 10s are coming from BBC loving keks I give it a 7 desu.
>>
This album was okay at best. But the drop was to be expected after GKMC, still excepted more tho.
>>
>>60940802
I'm not op but I never bothered listening to this whole album

My opinion hasn't changed after listening, though. Lyrics barely matter in music to me, I just want them to match the melody/instrumentation.

This is so boring to listen to. I might go read a book if the entire song will be someone speaking.
>>
>>60940713
There are too many good black musicians to be a racist. The discussion you want can be found over in /pol/.
>>
>>60940768

What would make it magnificent or mindblowing?

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. I'm sure every critic wrote at least a paragraph on why they thought it was album of the year which you can consider the content of.
>>
File: nation of millions.jpg (45 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
nation of millions.jpg
45 KB, 301x300
>>60940684
>It's basically muh black lives matter: the album
>he doesn't like public enemy
>>
>>60940684
The album is a well-made, well written, well produced hip-hop album that genre mixes throwing in Soul, Blues, and Jazz inspirations into many of the songs. People are a sucker for genre mixing. The song composition is also interesting and creative as it doesn't always simply follow cliche song patterns. Kendrick also switches up the way he raps a lot. Just compare tracks "u", "King Kunta", "Hood Politics", and "For Sale?" He has a specific and different way he vocalizes in each of these songs giving the album sonic diversity.
>>
King Kunta is so fucking cringey

Like I don't get how anyone can listen to that shit in the fucking 21st century

Although it is the only memorable thing about the album besides 'tupac lmao'
>>
>>60941337
b8 harder
>>
>>60941359
Dude those backing vocals alone are a fucking embarrassment

I am embarrassed for you
>>
>>60940914
rap is not for you.
>>
>>60941378
>he doesnt like funk and soul
>>
>>60941378
k
>>
>>60940914
>but I never bothered listening to this whole album

Then why the fuck are you trying to discuss it? Go back to /b/
>>
>>60940914
>"Lyrics barely matter in music to me, I just want them to match the melody/instrumentation."
>complains about how lyrics are about black people

Why do you even listen to hip hop if you don't care about lyrics you stupid nigger
>>
>>60940914
>lyrics barely matter to me

That's fine, but you shouldn't be surprised that other people (critics included) don't see music this way
>>
>>60940713
Because the album was brought up in the context of politics and social issues. Starting a "discussion" by insulting a social movement makes it a /pol/ topic not a /mu/ topic
>>
>>60940914
>I might go read a book if the entire song will be someone speaking.
What a plobstain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Jm2jubZUY
>>
>>60940837
I find it so weird that the majority of people say TPAB > GKMC. I'm not often in the minority. I don't think the albums are even close. GKMC is just so fucking good.
>>
>>60941466
This. Also, Boyd Rice.
>>
>>60941454
I never complained about lyrics being about black people

>>60941379
>>60941454
>>60941459
I like the way some rap sounds. CLPPNG is amazing. Kanye has some good songs.

My point is I don't like lyrics just being said flat over a minimal hip hop beat. At least rap more like Nicki Minaj in "Monster". Be expressive. Make the lyrics match the melody and instrumentation.
>>
>>60941466
Do you understand how spoken word with an active bass line and chord progression isn't the same as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFjQLyNoRI

?
>>
>>60940684
It's not overrated imo, i like it very much.
My wife's son gave it to me for my birthday
>>
Everytime someone compares this to some black lives matter bullshit I assume they have comprehension problems only listened to the album once and has no black friends fuck off op go listen to tame impala or somthing
>>
>>60940914
Lol you shouldn't have an opinion then
>>
>>60941545
>>60941545
>black lives matter bullshit
I agree! those thugs are an embarrassment to law-abiding negroes, le mr. dear gentlesir.Its kinda racist too. Don't you think ALL lives matter?
>>
>>60941535
I was responding to that guy saying he'd rather read a book than listen to music with someone speaking over it, not comparing Kendrick to Gil.
>>
You said it yourself
> muh black lives matter
It's very much with the spirit of the times. People like that.
>>
I like it, I just don't think it's as replayable as his other albums. I understand why people like it, and it is different albums that came out around the time, but I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets, especially that "classic" label. I think people are going to forget about this album by next year, even now people aren't bumping it. There was some truths about this album, in that Complex article that came out a month ago, but all the "REAL HIP HOP" people just read the headlines and didn't bother reading it.

So overall, yes, it's overrated, but overrated =\= bad.
>>
>>60941613
but I'm that guy and the same one who compared.

There are ways and ways you can speak over music.
>>
>>60941514
For someone who doesn't care about lyrics you seem to care a whole lot about lyrics
>>
>>60941598
This isn't the board to complain about muh pc, faggot
>>
>>60941753
i was being sarcastic, making fun of the closet racist reddit types who think black lives don't matter
>>
>>60941815
I'm fully aware of what you were trying to do, shlomo
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.