[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
She covered Big Black on stage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: WOFC.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
WOFC.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhCo7PoVpA

It's pretty good
>>
She's covered Big Black plenty of times, you know.
>>
You ever completely irrationally feel like someone stole an idea of yours?

I was just listening to Atomizer last night and I was thinking 'Man, this would be a great song to cover'. Seeing as I'll be playing a show in my hometown this weekend.

Can't do that now because all the hipster fucks will be like 'Hurr durr you saw that St. Vincent video too!?'

And I'd rather fucking die.
>>
>>60928479
>being this insecure
>>
>>60928468
Links brah, links
>>
>>60928479
no one would react like that
>>
>>60928337
meme hair
dorito face
>>
I'd cover her with something big and black hehe ;)
>>
>>60928556
You're right

I was actually thinking I wish still had a band, and that I would never get the chance to play in my hometown, this song specifically.
>>
>>60928468
impossible, she's lesbian and only dated white girls (til now)
>>
File: stvincentblog1.jpg (80 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
stvincentblog1.jpg
80 KB, 500x333
>>60928337
St. Vincent can do no wrong. That's why she's awesome.
>>
File: 1443165053993.jpg (645 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
1443165053993.jpg
645 KB, 1067x1600
hnngghhfff
>>
File: 1443543719733.jpg (467 KB, 532x728) Image search: [Google]
1443543719733.jpg
467 KB, 532x728
>>60929149
>>
>>60929149
>>60929179

is this what she looks like when she takes the big black?
>>
>>60928587
Like a blanket?
>>
>I'm a serious artist guys. I know who Big Black is so you have to take me seriously. Because I'm an artist.
>but I'm also a pop star. I fuse them both. I'm popular and I'm a serious artist. And thus, I must be taken seriously.
What's this difference between Lady Gaga and St. Vincent again? They're almost the exact same thing, except St. Vincent has Pitchfork's coveted stamp of approval
>>
>>60929404
You could ask the same question for any damn artist: what is the difference between Oasis and The Beatles again? What is the difference between Creed and Nirvana again?
>>
>>60929473
Are you trying to say that St. Vincent's entire career is based around ripping off Lady Gaga? Because that's the position the examples you chose supports, and I think it's a fairly stupid position to be quite honest. The faux-artiste Gaga and St. Vincent based their careers around is clearly Madonna
>>
>>60929532
>Are you trying to say that St. Vincent's entire career is based around ripping off Lady Gaga?
No. I'm trying to say that there's a difference between the real thing (St. Vincent, The Beatles, Nirvana, just to name a few) and second-rate thing (Lady Gaga, Oasis, Creed) in the same way there's a difference between an original Rolex and a Chinese fake.

Lady Gaga is just part of a money making machine that makes pop music for the masses. St. Vincent is a real & totally genuine artist that makes art rock music for those that appreciated great music.

Enough said.
>>
she also managed to do a pretty solid cover of 'she is beyond good and evil', which i wouldn't have thought was possible. i'm not a big fan of hers, but her covers are pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySQE4axlJY
>>
>>60929532
>The faux-artiste Gaga and St. Vincent based their careers around is clearly Madonna
You just proved that you didn't listen to St. Vincent's music. There are very few similarities between her and Madonna. Just listen to these tunes and tell me similar Madonna tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTAk58YJXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9prpAv6kvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIbR5jdA58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxF0KhBR84
>>
>>60929682
>her covers are pretty solid
Yes. I like also her cover of Never Tear Us Apart by INXS - https://vimeo.com/11991409
>>
>>60929631
Lol, St. Vincent is financed by a major record label, has heavy support from virtually all mainstream media outlets, and regularly collaborates with other pop musicians.

She is very much a part of the money making machine that makes pop music for the masses. It's true that she's more popular on tumblr, but that's not really indicative of talent

Also, just a general protip: there is no such thing as "art rock". It's an imaginary genre like "alternative hip hop" that was invented by pretentious people to show their love for mainstream pop without having to sacrifice their cool points.

>>60929721
These all sound exactly like 'Like a Prayer' and '4 Minutes'. I hear absolutely zero difference between those two songs and the ones you showed me; the only distinction between Madonna and St. Vincent is the packaging.
>>
>>60929874
>These all sound exactly like 'Like a Prayer' and '4 Minutes'.
Not sure if you're trolling or you're dumb.
>>
>>60929874
>St. Vincent is financed by a major record label,
And what? Does that mean she doesn't have artistic freedom? BTW, she previously was signed to the indie label 4AD.

>has heavy support from virtually all mainstream media outlets,
Because she's great and people are interested by her.

>and regularly collaborates with other pop musicians.
So: Swans, The Chemical Brothers, David Byrne, The National, Bon Iver, Amanda Palmer are pop?

Dude, do your homework and stop saying bullshit, ffs.
>>
>>60929874
Do you see everything as mutually exclusive?
>>
File: 2304985342.png (207 KB, 344x368) Image search: [Google]
2304985342.png
207 KB, 344x368
>artist does a big black cover
>it's kerosene
the memes don't stop, do they...
>>
>>60930198

Not that guy, but-

>And what? Does that mean she doesn't have artistic freedom? BTW, she previously was signed to the indie label 4AD.

To some degree, not complete freedom. They made an investment in her and need a return on that with record sales. There are other people involved in the creative process for something as expensive as a St. Vincent album. Also, 4AD barely qualifies as an indie label dude (I love lots of artists on 4AD, by the way).

>Because she's great and people are interested by her.

He actually buys into the hype machine...

>So: Swans, The Chemical Brothers, David Byrne, The National, Bon Iver, Amanda Palmer are pop?

They actually are though. Pop music = popular music = music marketed and sold to you as entertainment (i.e. not academic music, not folk or traditional music, etc.). Being pop doesn't mean it's bad, but don't kid yourself- all of those are pop.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 185x223) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 185x223
>>60930544
>Swans
>Pop music
>>
>>60930655

I know you think you are a special snowflake for listening to Swans and you think I'm talking shit (I'm not, I love swans). But the end of the day they are a rock band- a category of popular music. Just because it's experimental doesn't make it "not pop".
>>
>>60930655
Swans are popular music, but so is 99% of the music that is bought today
>>
>>60929303
no. my tremendous african phallus
>>
>>60930544
>To some degree, not complete freedom. They made an investment in her and need a return on that with record sales. There are other people involved in the creative process for something as expensive as a St. Vincent album. Also, 4AD barely qualifies as an indie label dude (I love lots of artists on 4AD, by the way).
If you don't know the actual contract signed, why do you speculate?

>He actually buys into the hype machine...
LOL. Just a little example: a story about her working a bit for a restaurant featured on tons of music sites/blogs. I've seen hundreds of comments about this little story.

>Pop music = popular music
That's the old definition. These days by pop everyone understands Taylor Swift, CRJ, Adele, Robbie Williams-style music. So, don't lump everything into pop category so conveniently for you.

There are genres to describe these artists:
Swans - no wave, noise rock, experimental rock
The Chemical Brothers - big beat
David Byrne - art rock
The National - indie rock
Bon Iver - indie folk
Amanda Palmer - alternative rock, punk cabaret
>>
>>60930878
>That's the old definition
not if we're discussing it in regards to the axiomatic triangle. fit kek hey pussy do u know anything about music? lol nigga wee
>>
>>60930696
>>60930779
There's a big confusion regarding this term, "pop". It used to mean popular music but these days it's a category on its own. Stuff like Britney, Gaga, Swift, Beyonce, Pitbull, Bieber, Madonna is pop, not the bloody Swans.
>>
>>60930932
u dumb asshole. check ur head.
>>
She kinda butchered kerosene imo
>>
>>60928337
Her vocals made me cringe tb.h
>>
>>60930878

>If you don't know the actual contract signed, why do you speculate?

I could say the same to you. You made the harder to defend claim (100% uncompromised creative control on a huge label that wants to make a profit).

>a story about her working a bit for a restaurant featured on tons of music sites/blogs. I've seen hundreds of comments about this little story.

The efforts of a well-executed PR campaign. Are you really that thick? I shouldn't have to explain to you how the world works, so I'm not going to bother.

>There are genres to describe these artists:

You are creating a binary of pop/non-pop. All are pop to a degree (concession: obviously a lesser degree than Taylor Switf, Adele, etc.) I am not "lumping them in". Pop, by definition, is a vague, catch-all umbrella term.
>>
>>60930696

>special snowflake
>rock band

can't tell if troll or kid who just watched Fight Club for the first time.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.