[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: hype_williams_530-11.152012.jpg (80 KB, 530x352) Image search: [Google]
hype_williams_530-11.152012.jpg
80 KB, 530x352
Right, been listening to a lot of dean blunt and his associated projects recently.

I'm not sure what any of this shit means. Is it all a joke? Is it meant to be purposively regressive to show how easy it is to make the sort of music they do (like black metal is an exercise in making white indie jangle pop)? Is it a commentary on race? Not even sure what the fuck 'Black is Beautiful' is meant to be.

Maybe there is no point, and that's the point.
>>
>>60925808
both of them are improv artist
it's a mixture of everything,really
>>
>>60925808
>like black metal is an exercise in making white indie jangle pop
what are you talking about?
>>
>>60925837
am I approaching it from the wrong angle by trying to get meaning from it? Is it just an elaborate piss take?

I just don't know anymore. I've listened to the redeemer 4 times this week and I still don't understand.
>>
do dean and inga fuck?
>>
>>60925913
blacked
l
a
c
k
e
d
>>
>>60925879
his album black metal has some fairly standard 'i'm a sad indie guy' songs- they're like imitations of the sort of shit Mac Demarco does. The album then descends into abstract instrumentals that do suck bad.
>>
>>60925885

blunt said in an interview that he feels explaining things tends to destroy them

as in, he doesn't deliberately intellectualize his projects

feel it
>>
>>60925937
so it's less about what the artist means, it's more about what the listener can think up?
>>
>>60925885
Like i said it's everything
it's serious it's funny. he banks on people trying to make a deeper meaning out of his work to keep them interested. his work has some easter eggs with the particular songs he samples and shit, like a video game

but overall they're just ppl who smoke alot of weed and have crazy adhd that make tracks and say things depending how they feel.

take from what it what you will. he's not reaching to make the album of the decade
he's making whatever the fuck is on his mind
>>
>>60925924
what? no track sounds anything like mac. have you even listened to the album? you are a buffoon
>>
>>60925966
It's not necessarily mac demarco, but all that type of indie stuff with the strings at the start of the album is what i'm talking about.
>>
>>60925956

well this is a huge debate that i'm not qualified to dive into really, which people get very heated about

all i understand is the value of communication between creator and audience, which has to do with the private digestion of the work

how it makes you feel is valid is my only point- i wouldn't worry about meaning unless you're desperate to know the artist's intentions or the context of their work in the scope of their life or scene or etc

if it just sounds like fuzzy mumbling over bad guitar well y'know it basically is
>>
From what I can gather, they're just a kinda shitty electronic music duo that have pretty cool ideas sometimes and chose a name that would get them attention and so people kinda paid a lot of attention to them. That being said, their first album and Black is Beautiful are great, everything else is very hit and miss. I don't like most of Copeland's music but Blunt has some good stuff.

I wouldn't think too much of it. It really does seem like they just get really high, record some songs, and release them. Have you heard their Bo Khat stuff? That's exactly what it sounds like.
>>
>>60926092
yeah no editing at all
just raw material. tho it seems recently he has been more focused no proper releases this year just throw-aways and some tracks with arca
>>
>>60925956
no its more like how Tarkovsky thinks of his films. There's no correct interpretation, there's no one answer or perfectly laid out plans for how the album will work as an entity. It's a piece of music and you're supposed to listen to it and form your own opinion of it.

Does it evoke emotions of sadness? Does it sound like a bunch of b-sides with some experimental tone to them? Your opinion and interpretation is all that matters and Dean doesn't want to place his ideas in the mind of the listener
>>
>>60925987
it sounds like the only "indie" album you ever heard is mac demarco lol
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.