[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this has been getting a LOT of critical reception. do you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: SOPHIE-JEWEL-CASE_1024x1024.jpg (69 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
SOPHIE-JEWEL-CASE_1024x1024.jpg
69 KB, 1024x1024
this has been getting a LOT of critical reception. do you guys think it will be a come from behind aoty contender?
>>
>>60922830
It can't be aoty, it's not an album.
>>
>>60922846
damn i guess that's true. read aoty as release of the year. i'm just talking about it getting on a lot of people's 2015 favorites lists
>>
>>60922830
I don't like the idea of male musicians using a female guise in order to increase their popularity.

See also: Syntheme, Vektroid.

Come at me bros
>>
>>60923176
>in order to increase their popularity.
of all reasons, i don't think that's why they do that.

either way, that has nothing to do with the music. you can't judge art based on the merit of the artist
>>
>>60923176
Vektroid is a trans woman, no idea baout Syntheme, and SOPHIE has never pretended to be female. Anyone with the ability to Google would see that he's never concealed his identity in any serious way, unless you count dumbass music journos walking into shows with a female performance element and failing to do any background research. Stop taking your dumbass SJW opinions from the Fader and listen to the music.
>>
>>60922830
sophie dropped literally 2 good singles over a year ago and the rest of this album is gimmicky shite. thoroughly dissapoint
>>
>>60923259
yes, people who like this album are bandwagon hopping memers with shit taste who wanna pretend to be cool now that SOPHIE has created normal enough pop music for them to like right off the bat and Stereogum has approved.
>>
>>60922830
no it's okay thats it
much better electronic focused albums have been released this year

if you're one of those people who sees music as some kind of rare baseball card . then i can see why this aoty

once sophie/pc music makes ways into the mainstream ppl will start calling it bad like p4k does.
>>
>>60922830
eww.
>>
He hasn't put out anything worthwhile that isn't exactly the same gimmick over and over and over again.

This tune is huge tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2haRSNr08M
>>
>>60923293
>implying SOPHIE is not already the most mainstream of the current crop of PC Music affiliates
>implying Stereogum, Noisey, and Pitchfork coverage is not already the definition of mainstream
>implying anyone who still takes SOPHIE seriously in 2015 isn't the mainstream against which the people who first listened to him in 2013 weren't rebelling

/mu/tants are so funny with their defense of their taste as in any way independent
>>
Remind me, what happened that something like this is suddenly considered good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A
>>
>>60923324
I mean diplo/skrillex/avicii levels of mainstream
people who get their music from pandora/spotify playlist and the radio, the people who still buy albums/singles from itunes
>>
>>60923352
again, though, if you see music "as a rare baseball card," you're completely deluding yourself by going on corporate websites like Noisey, Pitchfork, and Stereogum for your music coverage. just buying into magazines geared at attracting urbane middle class whites doesn't make anyone unique. i'd rather meet a Skrillex fan than an LCD Soundsystem fan.
>>
>>60923413
same I agree
>>
>>60922830
if pc music hadn't got so much negative press over gender/race issues, then it probably would be...

DESU though, I thought it was pretty good, but nowhere near AOTY material..
>>
so can any of the people in this thread who are shitting on it say objectively what they don't like about it? the production is insane the tunes are fun and the concept is clever and interesting.
>>
>>60924380
See >>60923322
>>
>>60923322
what do you mean by the same gimmick? sure he has a consistent aesthetic, but stylistically all of the tracks are super varied. there's trap, there's house, theres str8 pop, and theres noise all across 8 tracks
>>
>>60923346
postmodernism.
>inb4 a bunch of triggered buzzword nazis
>>
>>60925272
Barbie Girl is extremely postmodernist and ironic, senpai.
Postmodernism was a thing since the 1950s at the latest.
>>
>>60925536
i wasn't saying that barbie girl isn't (although i'm curious as to what makes you think that) i just meant that's what makes p.c. music good
>>
>>60925592
Read:
>what happened that something like this is SUDDENLY considered good?
Answering with "postmodernism" implies that the work was not considered to be postmodernist before.

>that's what makes p.c. music good
P.C. Music and their associates are not good.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20AJxzujIuk

sell out
>>
>>60923176
Why? That makes no sense at all, Is making up characters in a cartoon or novel immoral too?
>>
>still no official version of his remix of Friday Night

why is this allowed
>>
bunch of journalist and photographers making music and bribing people for reviews

satire inside satire
so good,yeah next level shit post-modern lol. new pop music good for the soul zizek is bae

*posted from my iphone 7 plus*
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.